Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

Texas>Willis>Third Annual Texas Butt Bake>8-10 August

TEXAS

Not just a State, but a State Of Mind

TEXAS

Where History is not just that class in Freshman year where you took all those refreshing naps in 4th period.

TEXAS

Where Tradition is not just a brand of furniture in an aisle at Target.

TEXAS

A land where legends are born and refuse to die.

TEXAS

Where Men are Men and sheep are scared.

TEXAS!

Where three years ago, a call went out across the plains of the West, the Piney Woods of the East, the rolling hills of the North, and the dusty deserts of the South, echoing through the Halls of History

This winter we were shown pictures and video of bearded men swathed in many layers of down and fleece, hunched over fires and entombed in hammocks engulfed by top and underquilts of fearsome dimensions. We watched as they spoke to us from within them as condensation rose from their ashen faces, frost bibs secured around their necks, trumpeting their achievement in defying sub zero temperatures merely by the clever use of fabric.

It is time that we, Men Of The South, Men Of TEXAS! show them true adventure! We shall show them that the greater feat is in surviving temperatures that can be defied only by enduring them! We cannot take off enough clothing or sleep gear to protect us from vicissitudes of weather that WE face!

Imagine pictures and video of hardy men, sweat glistening off of their bodies, cheerily hoisting flagons of iced tea with nothing but a pair of Ray Bans and cargo shorts to protect themselves from the sunlight! Imagine the awe with which they will view us and the glory that will be ours!!
    TEXAS!

Where that call was answered by Men who shouted:
    "Go ahead! Bake My Butt! Watch me laugh at the pain!!!!"

That first call was answered by an intrepid few who blazed the way,from whence sprung forth thrilling tales of adventure and exploration.

The call went out again, and the Men of Texas answered with even more vigor and determination!

And now we find ourselves once again poised to jump into the mists of History, Tradition, and senseless machismo. The weekend of August 8-10 2014 shall be enshrined as one where we once again prove our manly manliness is superior to those who battle the elements with cloth. We will only have shade, our wits, and teeny tiny electric fans hung from our ridgelines.

Friday, 8 August will see all hardy souls daring to tempt fate and near certain sweat stains gather at LSHT Parking Lot #8 near Willis Texas:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/LSHTparking.pdf

There we will consume vast amounts of food and drink in a Pot Luck dinner. The survivors will endeavor to undertake a grueling march of some 4 miles to Neiderhoffer Lake, a pristine and remote oasis in the middle of a fairly frustrating fetid forest fraught with fear. There we will dare the elements to drain from us all of our precious bodily fluids.

As dangerous as this endeavor might be, we know the call will be answered once again. It would also be wise for a couple of you to copy these directions and this map, or I may be forced to use them myself, adding even more danger to this adventure:

NEIDERHOFFER LAKE N30 38.652 W95 23.225
    (from Four Notch Trailhead on FS 213)
    0.00 FS 213 trailhead and hunters camp. Head northeast.
    0.33 Four Notch Loop/Main Trail junction (0.33 mi). Turn to the right and go southeast. You will come to a camping area for hunters; in another 100 feet is FS 223.
    1.52 Cross FS 223 (1.19 mi); in another 100 feet you will see the hiker's sign. Enter woods. Trail turns to the northeast.
    3.26 Cross Boswell Creek (1.74 mi)--prone to flooding during heavy rain. Watch for mushrooms in the Boswell Creek bottoms.
    3.45 Main Trail intersects Neiderhoffer Branch (0.19 mi); watch for hunter’s blind to right; head southeast. You will see a trail sign shortly. (This is not an official trail so we are hesitant to mark intersection officially).
    3.90 Neiderhoffer Lake (0.45 mi);
    4NotchDetail2010_0001 (1).jpg

I should be able to get a key to the gate to the Forest Service Road that goes to the lake. This should give us the opportunity to stage water and resources at the lake allowing us to slack pack in, or for those who succumb to the temptations of Friday Night imbibement to the extent that they become only semi-ambulatory on Saturday morning. This, however, limits participation in the Saturday Night camp to 20 people allowed by the USFS for such a service. We will, therefore, only be announcing this event here on Hammock Forums.

Please list below if you are DEFINITELY going to attend Saturday. I'm pretty sure we won't go over the 20 person limit if we keep this just among us girls, but just to make sure we're going to have to say that the first twenty "I'm in for Saturday" will be able to "officially" camp "lakeside" (please note how carefully I worded that). If you look at the pics here, it looks like a pretty sweet place to camp with lots of open area between the trees, and the Sam Houston National Forest allows camping anywhere within its borders that is not otherwise restricted, so I'd bet there are some cool spots on the trail leading up to the lake but not "officially" AT the lake in case anyone would rather do that (please note how carefully I worded that).

Participation in Friday' nights Pot Luck is completely unrestricted, so please list if you are attending then and what you might be bringing to add to the Bill of Fare.

As for myself:

"I'm in for Saturday at the lake, and I will be bringing Charro Beans to the Friday night pot luck."
    Last edited by sargevining; 06-10-2014 at 07:27.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm in for Saturday

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-See-Um No More
    Tarp
    Hennesey
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    HB - Tree Straps
    With an invite such as you've lade out before us I have but one answer, IM IN. Markin the calendar, beggin the boss at work for the time off and pullin the winter stuff outa the backpack. Lookin forward to the hang.

OBTW, dunno what I will bring for Friday night and i'm in for Saturday.
    Last edited by TexasPhil; 06-09-2014 at 13:01.

Im in for the weekend. ...

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Put me in the lineup coach!*

*By "lineup" I mean that I will be there with cast iron in tow for the Friday night feast prepared to make more food than a sane person would in advance of a hot weather hike. In addition, I'm in for Saturday.
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 06-09-2014 at 15:42.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    I'm gonna be there in some capacity. I have a meeting with the Bobs on Wednesday to figure out time off work.
    "What are we going to do tonight Brain"?
    "The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world". -Pinky and the Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Zort View Post
    I'm gonna be there in some capacity. I have a meeting with the Bobs on Wednesday to figure out time off work.
    Don't let them take your stapler. ..

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    OK;

Serious stuff:

I know there's a lot of talk above about "Men", "machismo", and "manly manliness" and there may be a lot of talk that might make this thing look like a drunken orgy (which is only half true), but I do want to make the point that this an event that is OK for women to attend (a healthy sense of humor would be a BIG help), although a PG 13 rating might be in order for the children (you probably don't have time to get the restraining orders).

However, women should probably avert their gaze when Spaceweaseal does that-----thing-----(I still don't know what to call it, and I'm pretty sure his claim that his doctor told him he had to do it, do it that way, and do it in public isn't true).

On a totally unrelated note:

Does anybody know what happened to the nurse with the teenage twin daughters who were going to attend last year?

Just askin.
    Last edited by sargevining; 06-10-2014 at 07:07.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    So it's me +1 for the spouse

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    For those of you who are on the Lone Star Hiking Club's Yahoo Group, there's about a hundred pics of Neiderhoffer and Hidden Lake here:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../?prop=eupdate

They were taken at this past weekend's Trail Days. Water level on both lakes is way up---back where they normally should be.

Looks like swimming is on the table.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast