Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Welcome to HF!!! I only have a Hennesy Scout that I bought for my grandson to try out. I have two Blackbirds though, a 1.1 DL and a 1.7 DL. Lots of hangers use the Blackbirds and we love ours. Usually if a Blackbird shows up on the for sale board.....well.... let's just say they aren't usually there very long. There's lots of styles and brands of hammocks, not to mention the DIY ones. I recommend going to a local hang and checking out the different setups to see what you like and what works for you. Good luck with your decision. HH.
    Hello from Lookout Mountain in N.E. Alabama,home of Little River Canyon National Preserve- The deepest gorge East of the Mississippi.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, DIY's....
    Tarp
    HG, JRB, DIY...
    Insulation
    UGQ Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch ti/amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by ugaking View Post
    Thoughts? Preferences?
    Think it's mostly personal preference. I'd say from what I've seen the poll may sway in favor of the BB just a bit.
    I'd say Bama Man's advice is as solid as any. Try to visit a hang or get up with someone in your area who will let you check out their rig.
    Hope you find your perfect outfit although whatever you get you'll probably be changing it up or adding to it Afterward... Just a friendly warning before you start.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    IMO, there's just not much reason to have a zip Hennessy, unless you have the zip mod with the classic bottom entry. I just think the Blackbird is a superior hammock, and even more so with the updates I've seen lately.

The only redeeming factor in the HH setup is the integrated tarp. Its not the optimal way to have a tarp employed, but works fine, even with the small stock asym. That makes it a lower overall cost than the Blackbird considering its another $110+ at least for a tarp, ridgeline and guy lines.

For me, though, if cost were an issue, I would go with cheaper gathered end with separate net if desired, and not have less tarp to get into the more expensive HH. At the end of the day, what you have with the HH is a straight up gathered end hammock with attached net and a suspension that no one wants to use anymore. The Blackbird is a much more updated product and a little more easily sellable if you should find its not what you want.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ugaking View Post
    Thoughts? Preferences?
    Well, for starters, you are making a somewhat apples to oranges comparison, (sl v dl, light v heavier fabric, tarp/no tarp, suspension...). I'll explain more about what I mean at the bottom of the post.

Preferences will really be different per individual that you ask I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Man View Post
    Usually if a Blackbird shows up on the for sale board.....well.... let's just say they aren't usually there very long. There's lots of styles and brands of hammocks, not to mention the DIY ones. I recommend going to a local hang and checking out the different setups to see what you like and what works for you.
    Good advice. If you try the WBBB and decide to go another direction the resale is excellent.

++++1 on trying lots of setups at a group hang. There is nothing better than a side by side comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTurtle View Post
    Think it's mostly personal preference. I'd say from what I've seen the poll may sway in favor of the BB just a bit.
    I'd say Bama Man's advice is as solid as any. Try to visit a hang or get up with someone in your area who will let you check out their rig.
    Hope you find your perfect outfit although whatever you get you'll probably be changing it up or adding to it Afterward... Just a friendly warning before you start.
    Agreed. It is personal preference. There's that "test drive someone else's" again. It really makes sense. Also, TheTurtle is right, you'll probalbly be changing over time.

Here's why I say "apples to oranges" comparison and I do have experience with both.

When you purchase HH you are purchasing a complete system with tarp included and only one option for suspension. A WBBB purchase does not include a tarp and it does have choices as per suspension system.

The fabric on the HH UL is one layer and will have a fair amount of give to it which to some is more comfortable. Since it is a single layer, you will need to either go with insulation suspended under it or a pad in it. Some find sleeping with a pad in the same layer awkward as they sometimes slip. The single layer is easily penetrated by hungry mosquitos so be sure to treat with Permethrine (sp?).

The WBBB 1.7 is a heavier fabric, well suited for heavier loads and with the double layer there is a place to slide a pad in between for bottom insulation with not as much of a slippage concern. The double layer 1.7 will not likely be breached by even the fiercest blood suckers.

I have several WBBB's in the family and actually sold my 1.7 because my preference was a lighter fabric with a bit of give. I use as UQ so there was not benefit for the double layer as a pad placement source. I really like the Blackbirds and like dealing with Brandon.

My first Hammock was a bottom entry HHExplorerUL. After trying it out, my wife took it over so I purchased another. She has since moved to the WBBB.

I got tired of the HH suspension and wanted an eaiser system that my wife and son could set up and adjust simply so we went to WBBB's for them with the strap and buckle system.

I kept my HHExpUL, (it's my hammock of choice), and eventually had a 2QZQ zipper mod so now I have bottom entry or top entry, (I haven't used the bottom entry since the mod a few years ago). When I want to sleep topless, (well, net less), I can remove the netting from 75% of it and roll up on the last 25%. I also changed my suspension to whoopie slings.

I ditched the stock tarp early on as well.

Although my wife and son love the WBBB shelf, I make due with the HH ridgeline pouch. Also, my son has since changed to the ridge runner.

Did I mention that personal preference makes a difference?
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Thanks for all the great replies. Lots of excellent info and experience. Much appreciated. Borrowed a friends HH rig. Enjoyed a good nights sleep. Either way I go will be good, but am going with the lighter HH, as I will be hiking quite a bit this summer and want to go light. Thanks again.

I just replaced my HH Hyperlite zip with a Blackbird 1.1. The HH was a bit tighter in the shoulders and noticeably had less foot room than my blackbird. I used a pad on both which alleviated any calf ridge discomfort. I am extremely happy with the warbonnet as far as comfort. Total weight for the 1.1 with whoppieslings came out to 18.5 oz....and I can live with that.

• + New Posts