Staying dry questions

I've had my bottom entry expedition out in the wild on two trips now. Last weekend was the first time out in the rain. The stock tarp performed marvelously, though this was not blowing rain. The one problem was after it rained hard for several hours the hammock ended up taking on some water from dripping down the suspension. Does anyone have a suggestion for handling this?

The other thing I noticed is that with the suspension at that magic 30 degrees, the tarp is quite a bit above the hammock. It doesn't sag, so that's good, and much better than when I was pitching it as taut as possible. I'm worried about how far below the tarp I'd be hanging in a blowing storm. Is there a solution for this? Or do I just need to hang the tarp separately from the hammock to accommodate this issue? If so, what line do folks recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I can tell you how I do my HH w/HH tarp but I am sure there are more answers than mine.

If rain is predicted then I use the rings on the side of the HH to attach my tarp down to. That way the tarp is close to the hammock but I also put up a mock ridge line on my suspension that holds the tarp a few inches off of the screen. I don't like the trap down close to the hammock screen.

I use "drip lines" that I tie off to the suspension where the hammock starts at. I think I am currently using a couple of old shoe laces. I also add a drip line to the mock ridge line I put up for the tarp just to make sure nothing runs down that line too.

But, as I indicated at the start, there are 100 different ways to do it. You just have to determine what works best for you.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    You can tie some paracord or something on the suspension to keep the rain water from running down into the hammock. It'll drip down the paracord instead.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WakarusaRiverGypsy View Post
    You can tie some paracord or something on the suspension to keep the rain water from running down into the hammock. It'll drip down the paracord instead.
    + 1

Unless you change your suspension or tarp set up, drip lines are the simplest way to go.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    It helps if you tie the drip line to your suspension at a point under your tarp and at least a few inches from where the suspension attaches to your hammock.
    The meaning of Life is to live it

The drop line setup sounds almost embarrassingly easy. Thanks for the suggestion there!

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6 Woodland Camo
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by WakarusaRiverGypsy View Post
    Yep, drip line!

Quote Originally Posted by bc2020 View Post
    Yep, drip line!
    That is a really cool demo. Drip line it is! Thanks, all.

Let me start with telling you that hanging a Hennessy at 30 degrees is unnecessary. The built-in ridgeline takes care of setting the hammock body's curve. If you are hoping to relieve some of the other line forces, that is an separate matter.

If you are using the stock suspension, you should have a pair of Prussic knots with hooks that can be used to attach the fly to the hammock suspension lines. These SHOULD function as "drip lines." Try placing them a little under your fly and tighten the knot. Most of my experiences are with the Hennessys made with slightly melted ends with a hole for the suspension line. Some are now being sewn at the end. If you feel an end cover and find a conical end, you probably have this type. If you find a fairly wide, flat area, then you may have a sewn-end hammock. After setting your Prussic/drip lines, see if you still have a water issue in rainy conditions. If you have a sewn-end hammock try opening the end cap and seam-sealling the stitching. A common nylon cable tie will close the cap up like new.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts