Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intoduction

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    you probably have already read the thread on the ring buckles but if not here's a link.
    I did read that. I was trying to find a way to adapt the ENO's factory cord system to include the ring buckles. I'll have to find some rings at REI to play with in person. It's been a long time since by Scout knot classes, so I'll have to get a refresher before trusting myself to a night's sleep.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenque View Post
    I did read that. I was trying to find a way to adapt the ENO's factory cord system to include the ring buckles. I'll have to find some rings at REI to play with in person. It's been a long time since by Scout knot classes, so I'll have to get a refresher before trusting myself to a night's sleep.
    i've loaned my ENO to someone & i can't remember how it's rigged at the ends.
    best i can remember it was just a small cord loop.
    if so, i believe i would just attach the rings to that using a 3 or 4mm spectra accessory cord from the climbing section.
    i don't remember the cord loops that came on the ENO being anything long enough that i would be wanting to un-tie & re-tie, but it's been a while since i've seen it.
    Last edited by slowhike; 04-09-2007 at 17:29.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    bikenque, i have the regular slap straps, the pros came out about not too long ago. but i am saving for the pro straps. its been about 3 years since i've been there and i hung my hammock at the campground.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi hammockers, I'd like to introduce myself and then ask a couple of questions. I'm in Georgia and live near Atlanta but travel all over the state & southeast for trips. Mostly hiking and bicycle touring with some

I picked up an Eagle's Nest hammock at REI recently. I went with the ENO instead of a HH or other "jungle" hammock for versatility, mainly because I want a lounger in camp and not necessarily a sleeping hammock. I will be adding a Maccat tarp to the mix for sleeping out, though.

I'm still debating about the ENO Slap Straps or converting the hammock to a double-ring system. The stock system works well, though, so I'm going to take it out a few times before I start messing with stuff.
    Bikenque, welcome to the hanging gang. We're glad to have you with us. I own 2 ENO setups, one single and one double, both of which are paired with the SlapStrap Pro. I'm happy with them, they're easy to use, cheap and durable. I bought my first hammock, an ENO SingleNest partially for teh same reson, to use as a lounger in camp, but quickly found that it slept oh-so-comfortably. I'm still very happy with my ENO's, but want to start making my own gear. Like I said, I'm not dissatisfied at all with my ENO's, I just want to try and create something for my own use that I made myself. If you're looking at the MacCat, you may want to consider BlackBishop's BlackCat, it seems to be a great design and will save ya a few buckaroos if you're so inclined as to try your hand at making you own goodies. Anyway, welcome aboard! Try and make the SEHHA Hangout in Hot Springs this weekend with us if you can!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hooch, I figured you were down here on our local Chattahoochee River.

Update on my ENO -- I swung by REI on the way home last night and picked up descender rings, biners, and some webbing. The cord at the end of the ENO was just long enough to get a lark's head around the rings. So I ended up with the ring-buckles with NO additional modifications. The cord is a bit thick so I'll have to test it first and make sure the not holds.

Now to find some webbing. REI didn't have flat webbing in the lengths that I wanted so I got some tubular for testing in the yard. What's the best source for flat webbing? And what's the best width for the 1.5" descending rings?

You guys are a wealth of info!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hooch, I figured you were down here on our local Chattahoochee River.

Update on my ENO -- I swung by REI on the way home last night and picked up descender rings, biners, and some webbing. The cord at the end of the ENO was just long enough to get a lark's head around the rings. So I ended up with the ring-buckles with NO additional modifications. The cord is a bit thick so I'll have to test it first and make sure the not holds.

Now to find some webbing. REI didn't have flat webbing in the lengths that I wanted so I got some tubular for testing in the yard. What's the best source for flat webbing? And what's the best width for the 1.5" descending rings?

You guys are a wealth of info!
    Try this link to Ed Speer's website, he has all kinds of goodies for all your homemade hammocking endeavors. I've heard good stuff about his webbing.

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    It's been a long time since by Scout knot classes, so I'll have to get a refresher before trusting myself to a night's sleep.
    Welcome to the forum. Here's a great site to help you get back up to speed on knots.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I'll have to throw another vote for Ed Speer's site. The webbing cost wise is really good. Weight wise it is also relly good. It's also the only place I know of to get light weight webbing where he will tell you the weight limits. Most places other than the heavy climbing ones do not want to do that.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Speer's site is sweet! The color selection on material is not that great, but the price is right.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BQ - I get my webbing from Ed's site. But better yet, come to Hot Springs this weekend and get it directly from him. Then look at all the other setups there!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast