Thread: Overfill

Overfill

What is the advantage of overfill? If I buy a 50 degree top quilt or under quilt what would having a ounce or 2 ounces of overfill do exactly? Does it lower the temp rating? Im new to the hammock camping thing and am still researching buying gear. I research alot so i dont have to buy something twice because of me not liking it or it simply not doing what I need it to do. I do not see my self needing a top or bottom quilt to go below say 40 degrees....yet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ + Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinches
    Images
    Overfill makes the quilt warmer. The different between say a 20º and 0º quilt will only be how much insulation it has. By adding overfill to the 20º you will push its rating closer to 0º. I have a 20º top quilt that is overfilled with a few ounces because I am a cold sleeper and want some extra warmth.

Hammock
    DN, Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    ProFly/SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ JarBridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    From what I've read around these forums, and extra ounce of overfill gives you about 10 degress extra warmth to a point. After a certain point, the baffle size of the quilt does not allow for additional loft and no temp rating increase is gained. Basically, a 40 with 2 oz overfill will not be a true 20 quilt because it has smaller baffles and thus less insulation factor. maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in to correct me, though.

And you will want some sort of bottom insulation, whether a quilt or pad, below about 65 degrees. That's when Cold Butt Syndrome starts to kick in for most.
    All those hours exploring the great outdoors made me more resilient and confident

I have seen also that it's 3 degrees per once of fill (850) and that some people due this because you will slowly lose down over time.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I'm sure one of the guru's will be along to give a better answer than I can, but...

Warmth of a down quilt is determined by the chamber height and the assumption that the down fills these chambers to capacity. If a quilt is stuffed to 100% then it should be achieving it's maximum loft and therefore its maximum warmth. However there are many factors that have an effect on loft, (humidity, dirt, dust, salt from sweat etc.) so many people choose to add overfill so that the down will still fill the chambers even when the down is not reaching lofting to it's full potential.

Some people believe that adding an oz or 2 of overfill will add a few ° of warmth to the quilt, but in theory at least, it shouldn't. Most cottage quilt manufacturers overfill their quilts by default, I've seen 130% a few times.

• + New Posts