Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Hammock, bugnet, & underquilt in one stuff sack?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't leave a hammock, bug net (BIAS nano buginator), and underquilt all set up together and just stuff the whole thing into one stuff sack?

I don't have any of them but the underquilt yet so I can't test it

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I'm trying it today for a friend who has fumble fingers. General thoughts I got from my question was yup, just be neat putting it in the bag and it should come out the same way.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You can do that. Make the sack double ended for easier set up. You could also buy or make a Lazy Slug Tube.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Wilderness Logics make Slug Tubes (seen a youtube video w/ Flatline using them), they accomplish this feet (and very well by the looks of it)...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    FYI on the Lazy Slug Tube. I like mine, very convenient for deployment. Easy to get everything in the sleeve (mostly, quilts need some guidance), but a little hard to pack once its in the sleeve due to having to get all the air out. Since I would plan to have my tarp up anyway, I would rather have a LST made of breathable ripstop than the sil one from WL.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I carry my HH and JRB UQ in the same Bishop bag all the time. My tarp is in snake skins and gets deployed first. I just took a decent sized stuff sack, reinforced a spot on the bottom of the bag with Gorilla Tape, cut a hole big enough to put the HH stock rope through and poof!, it's a Bishop bag

long term storage you would of course want to take the quilt out right? but yea i have most of my gear and just spend 10 min or so setting up, i'll have to make a slug tube or something so i can get set up in seconds.

you could include a tarp in a slug tube couldnt you? (might get other things wet if its been raining though..)

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michgan241 View Post
    ...you could include a tarp in a slug tube couldnt you? (might get other things wet if its been raining though..)
    You wouldn't want to have the tarp in there if it was wet, for sure not with the quilts, too. But let's say you had a HH setup where those skins typically do swallow up the tarp as well. Then the LST could work the same. I guess you'd just have something else to put your quilts in if the tarp is wet.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, DIY's....
    Tarp
    HG, JRB, DIY...
    Insulation
    UGQ Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch ti/amsteel
    Probably want to keep your tarp seperate.
    As mentioned you don't want to store the wet tarp in with your quilts but having the tarp seperate allows you to deploy it without having anything else out. Then you can set up your hammock, quilts etc in the dry.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    The comments about the LST's are spot on. I have them, use them, and love them. One advantage not mentioned about the silnylon ones provided by WL is that they're pretty much waterproof as well. Which means on a day where the weather may be questionable, but you wanna go on a day hike, you can leave your hammock strung up with quilts on and in it, slide the tubes down, cinch them, and the odds are very, very high you're going to come back to a dry hammock, even in the rain.

The DISadvantage is what was noted previously. They can make stuffing the whole thing back into your backpack an entertainment for your friends to watch and laugh at enormously. One trick to reduce that somewhat is to leave the 'top' end that goes into the backpack last uncinched...and bleed the air out through that as you feed the whole thing in. It helps, but it doesn't totally alleviate the problem, and it 'feels' like the whole thing takes up more room in your pack as a result.

But it does answer your question...because this is how I normally carry my gear in winter. HH Explorer Deluxe hammock (with built in bug net), topquilt, underquilt, and underquilt protector all inside the LST's, in the bottom of my pack. The tarp has its own set of skins, and rides outside the pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast