WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Maccat setup help

Hey guys i just got a maccat tarp. Have a few questions. It is the deluxe. it did not come with any rope or anything so i am trying to figure out the best way to set it up. I needs to be light and able to do everything a tie should allow. Anyway, i saw just jeffs tensioners version 2 and HC4U's version: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...?t=2447&page=2. Both look nice, but i have no idea where to get the parts i need or which types of cord to get.

Also since i know nothing about tarps, Do i need to add a ridge line for the tarp?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    No, the MacCats do not require a separate cord for the ridgeline. You only need to add guy-line to all of the tie-outs (tensioners are entirely optional).

Speer No-Tangle is probably the best all-round guyline cord. But, you can substitute just about any small-diameter line (TripTease, Mason Line, or even 550).

You should try without tensioners, to start, and then if you decide you need them for your purposes you can add some later using shock-cord via HC4U's method.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Easy stuff here and lots of options.

I use some generic utility line for my ridgeline tie-outs; very cheap and light enough. Some of my rigs use the Speer No-Tangle line for the ground tie-outs and some use the braided yellow mason's line you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes. A lot of folks complain about the mason's line tangling too easy, but I honestly have not had a problem with it.

For tensioners, I like the method that uses a loop of shockcord. Very easy to make and a whole lot lighter than tensioners using surgical tubing. Plus, the extra added bonus of not freezing when it's cold out.

No, you don't need a ridgeline. The center seam of the tarp will provide all the tension you need. You just need something for the ends to go to the trees; I use about 11' on each end.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    I suggest using different color rope for the ridge and guy. I used bluewater niteline from REI 500# 3mm. If you are gonna use the HC4U system figuring out what rope is what is easy but if not setting up in the dark with the same color rope on all the tie outs is a bit confusing and frustrating specially if you are dog tired from the hike. Nitezie figure 9s are a big hit here and can be purchased from the orange store or the blue one. They help more so in the winter because it is easier to tie while wearing gloves.

Good Luck

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Thanks everybody

I use 7/64ths Amsteel Blue from Redden Marine for the tree ties, 10ft for each end with a little aluminum figure nine (REI). I use 1.75mm spectra lashit (nine ft each) for the stake ties. I used to use paracord for the tree ties. One one windy, rainy nite I couldn't understand why my taughtly hung SpinnUL Macat was flapping like a bedsheet. The wet nylon had stretched appreciably...no more paracord for me. It will work in a pinch though, it'll never be first choice.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    One one windy, rainy nite I couldn't understand why my taughtly hung SpinnUL Macat was flapping like a bedsheet. The wet nylon had stretched appreciably...no more paracord for me. It will work in a pinch though, it'll never be first choice.
    If you pull the nylon core strands out, and pre-stretch the outer sheath, that will no longer be a problem.

The cording for tarp tie outs doesn't need to be ridiculously strong since it isn't bearing much weight, only to keep the fabric taut in wind. I've been through some astonishingly strong storms using hollow paracord as ridgeline ties on the tarp.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I went with bright yellow masons line at side tie-outs. Very visible, nice for avoiding tripping over lines. Blue paracord at ridgeline tie-outs. I choose a small diameter, braided masons line, available at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, Walmart,etc. Small diameter here thinking I would rather replace a broken string once in a while, and not have tarp or tie out webbing break in winds. The blue/yellow lines make it easy to find the ridgeline when setting up camp. Enjoy your mccat. Carry some extra masons line for repairs, if needed.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I set up my tarp with a siberian hitch knot to start with on one end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBbktmCGXo and then the other end with a taut line hitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUmDSEx7DUY&NR=1 to tighten it up. I also use the taut line on the side tie-outs. It makes it extremely easy to tighten up after things have stretched out. Bought some figure nines but never used them. They add extra weight, dig into the cord and are easy to loose.

Hammock
    WBBBB dbl1.1 mint
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix,DIY
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I also use the bluewater niteline for the ridge tie-outs.....two 12 or so feet with a bowline in oneend for around the tree.....and I have a small figure nine 'biner on each ridge d-ring.....super easy to set-up....AND super easy to adjust the tarp back and forth to get it just where you need it....

On the bottom I have a small figure nine attached at each d-ring (with small zips), with a bow line on the other end to slip over a stake (groundhog)....

Basically a knotless setup..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast