Hammock
    DIY W/bugnet, ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Hex, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Ummmm....
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

ENO ProFly Rain Tarp is it worth the price?

So I am looking for a tarp to cover my ENO DoubleNest. Will the ENO ProFly Rain Tarp provide adequate protection from the elements or should I look for something a bit larger, like the Chinook?

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The size is fine, but at that price there are better tarps IMO.

If you don't care about weight but want lots of coverage the Kelty Noah 12 can fit multiple hangers under it, weighs ~ 2lbs, and is ~$60; Less than the ENO for

If you care about weight, then there are multiple tarps cheaper than the silnylon version of the ENO. the Warbonnet Edge or mambajamba, the winderness logics tadpole, and the OES macCat fit the bill.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I used a ENO Profly for ~ 1 year before upgrading. I really liked it then but, I'd never go back. There are too many options that provide better coverage lighter weight and more versatility.

Is it worth the price? From a $$$ perspective, only if you are buying at a significant discount from MSRP or are limited to spending a store specific gift certificate. From the ProFly MSRP there are better, lighter options within easy reach.

From a weight perspective? The tarp I now carry provides much better coverage and saves me ~ 1 pound of pack weight. Are you carrying the tarp? How closely do you watch your pack weight? Again, within this price range you can easily find something 1/2 pound lighter.

From a coverage perspective? OK coverage for light rain but for any form of wind protection I'd want something larger.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The ProFly provides adequate-only coverage. I'd say typical dimensions for full coverage are around 11' long and 8' wide, so in terms of coverage and regular price, its not the best value.

The chinook all purpose tarp seems to be a good deal if you don't mind having a 2lb tarp, especially since you can fold the ends in like doors. The heavy ProFly is a decent deal, but the ProFly Sil is expensive for a relatively small tarp. For comparison, the relatively small Tadpole from Wilderness Logics is $90 and less than 12oz - which is lighter than the ProFly Sil and larger and much less expensive. My Toxaway (Arrowhead Equipment) is $110 and is a large tarp and weighs less than a pound. At $130 and 19oz, the Warbonnet Superfly is a great value for full coverage including the ends of the hammock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by thercman View Post
    So I am looking for a tarp to cover my ENO DoubleNest. Will the ENO ProFly Rain Tarp provide adequate protection from the elements or should I look for something a bit larger, like the Chinook?
    ENO's tarps are cool looking IMO. I'm half considering buying a ProFly just because they come in lime green. I think you'd find it perfectly adequate for covering an ENO hammock. You might want more length if you switch to a longer hammock later.

If cost is the main concern though, the Paha Que "single" hammock fly is about the same width, 18" longer, and can be found for $25 online. The "double" adds a couple feet to the sides and can be found for $30. Probably the best deal going for hammock cover. Also, as someone already mentioned, the Noah 12 will give you huge coverage for less cost than the ProFly if you don't mind the weight.

I see from your info that you have the UST tube tarp. How are you liking it? I've got one, but haven't had a chance to hang it up yet.
    Last edited by -Kiah-; 06-12-2014 at 14:27.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    eno's are desinged to look cool and be sold to clueless people. i like staying dry rather than looking cool, so i made my own whitch gives better coverage at half the weight at the same price. kelty noah tarps give good coverage (though heavy) and are affordable. if you want to save weight go with a wb edge, at 8'x11' 85$ and less than 1lb.

Hammock
    DIY W/bugnet, ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Hex, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Ummmm....
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone. At this point my camping will be done close to a vehicle so weight isn't a huge concern. Right now I am leaning Noah 12 because of the 12x12 dimensions (I hate the color) and the Chinook (I like the color). Not only will the larger size provide adequate coverage but make a great awning to sit under.... Still searching though...

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    keltys are very large for the $$$. good choice for car camping.
    good luck!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Check out the Wilderness Logics Tadpole. Great tarp for the money!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY W/bugnet, ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Hex, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Ummmm....
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    What do you guys think about dying a tarp? Will it destroy the waterproof coating?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast