Hammock
    D.L. Dangerbird
    Tarp
    W.L. Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

New Dangerbird! Now which pad?

Hey folks!
    1st hammock, 1st post, 1st thanks for all of the contributions on here, giving me confidence in my Dangerbird purchase, Order#1033 (Can't Wait)!
    I'm about to go on a hitchhiking race from TX-NC, and I have all of my gear except one piece.
    Question to other doubles out there, I'm 5'11, 190lbs, w/ a 10' hammock. What sleeping pad do you recommend?
    I'm looking at a Thermarest Prolite 32" but I'm worried that might too small. Also, don't want to go too big. Any advice from someone my size who has used this brand (or any other).
    I'm not a sub freezing camper, and being lightweight is of considerable concern for me. <$100 if possible.

P.S. Is it common to go no Pad at all??

Thanks again!

If you do a search on this site you will find ample info to answer all your questions. Start with https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tom-Insulation

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    why are you set on a pad?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Those Thermarests are expensive. Unless you're a dedicated ground dweller, an UQ is going to work much better for bottom insulation and probably cost less. A 40 degree Phoenix from HammockGear is only $159. It will likely weigh less than the pad.

Most UQ users started off with pads, but they come with a lot of problems.

1) Condensation - I always got pools of sweat/condensation with pads. That made me use a heavier synthetic topquilt/sleeping bag because down doesn't work well when wet.
    2) Keeping the pad in place - If you move at all at night, the pad will probably slip out from under you. Some pad users have a double-layer hammock so the pad slides between the layers. A DL hammock is the only way I would ever use a pad.
    3) Down is by the more effective insulation per ounce compared to pads.

And yes, whether pad or UQ, you will most likely need underinsulation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    D.L. Dangerbird
    Tarp
    W.L. Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    @Rofo, thanks for that link!
    @nuttysquirrel, during my research on which hammock I wanted to buy, I read a lot about people using pads in the DL, so I assumed it was common practice. I already have a Down Mummy bag, so I didn't think under/over quilt was necessary.
    @thank you SilvrSurfr, now I just need to scour Rofo's link to figure out why quilts vs. bags!
    There's a lot more to this than I originally anticipated!

Thanks again everyone.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Did you opt for a double layer (DL) hammock?

It's not common to go without under-insulation. The average/rule-of-thumb, is that at about 70°F--give or take, because it's relative to the sleeper--the underside starts to get chilly.

The Prolite Plus is a great pad overall. In the summer, that was my go-to pad, with my pack under my feet. This was on the ground. Along with what SilvrSurfr mentioned above, you'll need something extra under your feet if using a short pad (or short UQ).

I experimented at home quite a bit. My first night outside in a hammock was on a Thermarest PL+. I made sure the next night was at least with an old down comforter strung up underneath and that gave me a great taste: warm, comfortable, no pad shift. I've gone UQ and won't ever go back; found two gently-used UQs here in the For Sale section.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    air mattresses like a Thermarest are only marginally suitable for hammocks. you have to let most of the air out so they conform to the curved shape of you in a hammock. When you do that you lose most of the R value (insulation) Most people that use them are using them because they already have them. As others have said, pads do have other issues: condensation, ripples because they're ridgid, they do move around, etc. The bees knees is a down under quilt, but those are expensive. I got a synthetic quilt from arrow head equipment that I like and is significantly cheaper than down. But down is the lightest, packs smallest, and is really suited for a long hike like you're talking about. I kayak camp a lot so weight isn't as much a concern for me. Pads are also bulky and heavy. a few days of lugging one around and you may wish you had bought a down under quilt to begin with!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    The first replies are by very smart campers. I use a pad and underquilt sometimes together and sometimes just one or the other. The pad is by Oware and or Gossamer Gear--it's one eighth by 40 by 72. It's so wide there is no chance of it sliding in double layer hammock. You can cut it to suit your needs. Pads are bulky and cost less--If you have the money underquilt is the way to go. Texas to North Carolina you will have a blast just don't ride with a lady truck driver pulling a reefer--she might not stop one time...

Hammock
    D.L. Dangerbird
    Tarp
    W.L. Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Sounds like UQ is the hands down winner.
    @Phantom Grappler…I think I've ridden with her before, in the back of her truck. She was drunk instead of high though, and I thought she was going to drive us off the mountain!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Feeblerelf02...I meant refrigerated trailer...I laughed out loud
    With underquilt there is a learning curve...when dialing it in...do not over tighten the short shock cords on the ends.
    Also I attach those short shock cords to the end of hammock along with the longer shock cords that go end to end,this keeps underquilt from having accordion sag during the night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast