Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    that video does have some good info, and tanks again for the responses. I would like to see if i could build a scale model next just to see what the forces acting on the hammock would be.

dblhmmck you make an excellent ppoint tho, a statement of purpose is needed.

(i) A hammock setup that includes tarp, bugnet, hammock, and all necessary components to set it up weighing under 5 lbs. ( two be shared between a couple in pack weight. meaning circa 2.5 lbs per pack )

(ii) cuddle friendly and roomy enough for two people to share and sleep on there backs

(iii) Simple to assemble and comfortable to use.

(iiii) innovative - I have yet to see something (aside from dblhmmcks) that looks producible and comfortable.

Keep the critics up, I have super thick skin and its all helpful. It seems like there are some concerns with my last idea, but it seems like no one has seen it before. I would love to be proven wrong.

Time for a test

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shua View Post
    Keep the critics up, I have super thick skin and its all helpful. It seems like there are some concerns with my last idea, but it seems like no one has seen it before. I would love to be proven wrong.

Time for a test
    Someone probably once said the same thing about hammock camping in general. Trail and error is the way. Go for it!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

ancient history

did a little digging to find the postings on using tie-outs instead of spreader bars on a hammock hung from trees. Bridge hammock thread postings number 256 kicked things off, was revisited in 699,, warnings in 733, observations in 734, links to photos in the gallery in 739.

hope these experiences help you in your design.

Grizz

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Two immediate reactions:

1. conceptual drawings have a tendency to idealize what the fabric will do in reality. Unless you are using something other than fabric, I doubt that the hammock will retain the shape of the drawings once hung and when occupied will depart even further from the shape in the drawings.
    2. How does the second concept depart from a gathered end hammock or a patio hammock with all of the ropes running through bars to keep things spread out? The patio hammocks need the bars for a reason.

It's great to see some new ideas.

To echo gargoyle: time to build something and see how it really works.

Images
    Well here is what is different, The orientation.

The idea is to have the hammock lay perpendicular to the line created by the trees.

The idea is that because it follows the natural arc created by fabric as it hangs, it creates a natural bridge shape.

As to building it. I'm creating a model right know. I'll try to post a video after i finish it.

Thanks for the questions

Perpendicular

The idea is to have the hammock lay perpendicular to the line created by the trees.
    Just curious, does that mean that you would enter/exit through the head or foot ends?

Images
    not sure yet. That would seem simpler except there is less support that way. Depends on what suspension does.

Halfway done with the model.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shua View Post
    Well here is what is different, The orientation.

The idea is that because it follows the natural arc created by fabric as it hangs, it creates a natural bridge shape.
    sure, in that it follows the principles of a very wide Mayan hammock, save that the edges of the hammock close to the trees in your design are not gathered to a point with fabric. What's your thinking w.r.t. attaching those various lines from the hammock to the tree? I can imagine using lengths of webbing that go under the hammock, but that would feel like sleep on slates. So instead I can imagine running webbing along the edges and then some kind of secure attachments from that edge to fasten the cord to.

without doing up a finite element deformation under load model, my intuition ain't good enough to know what will happen with that design. You're doing the right thing by building it, or a model of it. I do know that any number of times I've cut fabric expecting things to work one way, and they don't.

good luck and let us know what happens, regardless.

Grizz

Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    dude nice you're using sketch up! i use that program for all my building.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123