Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 40
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Newbie has some questions

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in Japan where I can't follow the general advice of "just go to a group hang", also, any mistake will be quite expensive in additional shipping, so please excuse the onslaught of questions.

For my first hammock I'm pretty much set on a 11" RoamingGnome of 1.8 Charcoal Nylon. I'm 185cm and weigh ~75kg. Any comments welcome.

Now for the actual questions:

- What other gear will I need besides the Hammock? I'll need a tarp of course. I have a sleeping bag that I can use as a TQ. I'm not sure about an UQ, see below. Am I missing something else?
    - As I said, international shipping costs quite a bit, do you think PapaSmurf would be okay with me sending the other stuff to him and then forwarding everything in one big package to me?
    - How long does it usually take from date of order until the hammock arrives? I'll only be in Japan until end of August and I hope that I'll be able to hang here as well, else I'll have to have it send to Germany where by September it's already getting quite cold.
    - UQ: I'll likely hang in moderate conditions, definitely nowhere near freezing. The only exception would be that, if I get the Hammock early enough to get aquainted with it beforehand, I would like to spend a night on mt. fuji where it can be close to 0°C even in summer. What do you think, pad, homemade PLUQ, fullsized UQ?

Thank you all in advance,
    bw, Tobl

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Just wanted to say welcome. I'm also almost new here also. From what I gather mostly is just get out in the woods with what you got. You will figure out what you need. If you can watch shugemery's videos on youtube. That is the best place to start. They are very good info and entertaining. Getting a pad will be the cheapest route. For some kind of insulation, untill you save for an underquilt. Or you make an underquilt yourself. Most guy go with a 3/4 underquilt to save pack space. Then they put a little sit pad on thier top quilt to help out.
    Last edited by vxjester; 06-13-2014 at 09:19.
    Put a pot of chili on the stove to simmer. Let it simmer. Meanwhile, broil a good steak. Eat the steak. Let the chili simmer. Ignore it. -- Allan Shivers

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobl View Post
    - What other gear will I need besides the Hammock? I'll need a tarp of course. I have a sleeping bag that I can use as a TQ. I'm not sure about an UQ, see below. Am I missing something else?
    You'll need suspension for the hammock (which is included when you buy from Dream Hammock). You'll need suspension for the tarp, along with guy lines and stakes. This, along with your bottom insulation, should cover your sleep system.

- As I said, international shipping costs quite a bit, do you think PapaSmurf would be okay with me sending the other stuff to him and then forwarding everything in one big package to me?
    You will have to ask him, which you can do by email that you can find on his site. He is very responsive.

- How long does it usually take from date of order until the hammock arrives? I'll only be in Japan until end of August and I hope that I'll be able to hang here as well, else I'll have to have it send to Germany where by September it's already getting quite cold.
    When I checked with him about 2 weeks ago, he was at about 3 weeks from date of order to shipping, plus however long it takes to get to Japan. You can click on the 'order status' tab on his site to get a better idea of current production times.

- UQ: I'll likely hang in moderate conditions, definitely nowhere near freezing. The only exception would be that, if I get the Hammock early enough to get aquainted with it beforehand, I would like to spend a night on mt. fuji where it can be close to 0°C even in summer. What do you think, pad, homemade PLUQ, fullsized UQ?
    My own personal experience with pads, which is very limited, is that it is difficult to keep them in place without a double layered hammock.

• + New Posts