Thread: side sleepers

Hammock
    not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    sleeping bag

side sleepers

Hi everyone I'm new to hammock camping (and love it).I go camping about once a month and would like to go more but want to find a better hammock to sleep in. I have just a cheap hammock from wal-mart and i found that its hard
    to sleep on my back. I have been looking for a new hammock that i can sleep on my side. I have found a few but not sure if there any good. Does anyone have any suggestions on what hammock i should get for a good nights sleep. Thanks and have a great day.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Get a cup of coffee or some other libation and get a comfy chair and dig in on this forum. Really read a lot until your head is full ......
    Then practice and persevere ...

The hammock quest does take some time to find the right fit for you.
    My DIY whipped end hammock from JustJeffs http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html site is real comfy on my side.
    So is the Warbonnet BlackBird if you are one who does not sew.
    Relish in the comfort quest!.....
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 06-27-2009 at 13:48.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Easy: #1 for flat lay position on your side with legs mostly straight or bent slightly: JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock ( BMBH). Also great ( #1 IMO) for flat on your back ( with a pillow or scooted pretty far towards the head end) with no need for anything under your knees. You can't do fetal position due to not enough width.

#2: Not as flat, but still acceptably comfortable for sleeping on MY (YMMV) side with legs straight out at a diagonal position, with feet in the footbox ( on left side only for me): War Bonnet Black Bird (WBBB). However, maybe in #1 position for left side, and maybe even right side, fetal position. Also extremely comfortable for me on my back, but I do need something under my knees.

Welcome to the world of hanging!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I side sleep very well in my HH Explorer UL. Any of the aforementioned hammocks are also highly recommended. Whatever floats your boat as they say.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yep, BMBH for side sleeping is ideal

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Also, as you spend more time in the hammock, back sleeping becomes comfortable, or side and back sleeping (which is possible simultaneously in a hammock). I was a devoted side sleeper in bed and still am, but frequently sleep on my back in the hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - I never sleep on my back in the bed, but always sleep on my back at least part of the night when I'm hammocking. A lot of the halfway-on-my-side-and-halfway-on-my-back position that is only possible in a hammock.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Yep - I never sleep on my back in the bed, but always sleep on my back at least part of the night when I'm hammocking. A lot of the halfway-on-my-side-and-halfway-on-my-back position that is only possible in a hammock.
    This has been my experience as well. I was always a stomach or side sleeper and in my hammock I usually spend part of the night on my back and sleep very very soundly. In fact, I am heading there tonight after a great sleep there last night as well. Wonderful wife and I are hanging on the front porch and are gonna watch some thunder boomers move through. Should be fun to hear the rain, see the light show, and relax with the hang.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    A couple of years ago at the Bryant Ridge Shelter I stopped by to cook/eat/sign the register then packed up to head down the trail. A guy in the shelter asked where I was headed, I told him to hang the hammock up down the trail (I usually go left or right 50 or so yards and dissapear) but he was genuinely curious about the hammock but told me he cannot sleep on his back. I told him I'd set it up if he would lie in it for 5 minutes....well 15 minutes later with many onlookers at the shelter the guy was snoring away on his back.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You know what else is awesome in a hammock? My wife lays on her back inside the hammock and I'll lay on the ground below her and massage her back thru the hammock. It's one of the ways I bribed her into the hammock the first few times! Now she's agreed to go hammock camping and even backpacking...but we have to wait until it cools off. Colorado should be good for that! (T-minus 6 months)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast