Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Been hanging for 20 years now

Hi all. I like to call myself one of the original hammock camper in america. Ha!! I know I am not but it is fun to say. I am a native Kentuckian but have traveled all over the US. I started hammock camping at age 18 but have been camping since I was in diapers with my family which consisted of Mom, Dad 5 brothers and me, the only girl. We camped because we had no money to vacation. It began my love of camping that has never faded. I hammock camped alone for the first time with my faithful companion and search and rescue partner Kayia until she passed away at 14 of cancer a few years ago. Then once i married a self proclaimed "City Boy" I quickly turned him into an outdoors man by making work in the TeeTons outside Yellowstone for an outfitter company.

I have worked at a Ski Resort in Colorado, as a Wrangler in Wyoming, Snowmobiled in Idaho, Whitewater rafted in Utah, Dog Sledded in Alaska, Snorkled in the Florida Keys......and the list goes on. I am and adventure junkie, photographer and writer....and now mother of 4 young kids under the age of 8 who have diagnosed autism. I put my hanging skills on hold for the past few years to have our children and learn as much about their autism as I could. Now I use the outdoors as a therapeutic tool and a way to connect my family to nature and the great outdoors.

Finally, last weekend I took the two older boys, ages 7 and 6 and my husband out on their FIRST NO TENT weekend at Red River Gorge. they LOVED it. Yipee!!! 3 more converted hammock campers. Now we will be training the 2 younger kids, ages 4 and 3 in the next few weekends. I am able to find new and exciting adventures and places to take pictures and drag my family along for the amazing ride. I own and run a website called "Hurricane Jeffries" that encompasses our journey as a special needs family. I do my best to encourage other special needs families around the world to NOT be limited by their families special needs but to get out there and find ways to live, learn and have fun together as a family. My motto is "If it isn't fun, then it's just work". The site is www.hurricanejeffries.com

I can't wait to encourage all these families through my own families journey of discovering the amazingness of hammock camping and the benefits of it for special needs kids. My kids are very much "rhythm kids" and adore the swing of a camping hammock. They might just be discovering the hammocks out in nature but I have actually been hanging camping hammocks in our home for the last 7 years to aid in my kids sensory integration issues. We have many hanging in our home right now and I will be hopefully adding some pictures of the therapeutic uses in the home soon.

There is a world of hammocks that so many don't know and I am so happy to have found a forum for hangers. This should be an interesting ride. By the way, on my site there are a few pictures of hammocks hanging criss crossed around our home (even in my bedroom) and the kids enjoying their "swing time". Man, I just love camping hammocks for soooo many reasons. I love that the US is starting to finally embrace them the way they should have a long time ago. Thanks for the forum.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you have a very full life full of hammocks.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Welcome aboard, from exciting and exotic Michigan.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Welcome ro HF! Looking forward to reading more
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Welcome to the forum!! Wow.... Will be following your site as well.. Wonderful that you lead by example... Lots of great people here.. Enjoy....
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness.

Lots of families attend group hangs and its always fun to see the little ones out there hanging. Picture of a couple of kids at the Grayson hang from three ago
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like you know how to find fun adventure. I wish I had found hammocks twenty years ago, I would have camped much more.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome from another old timer - ahhhh, not that you are old:>) But a couple of us are:>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

To be hanging out for 20 years, you really must love it. and why not? camping and hammocks are great fun!
    “ Take only pictures leave only footprints”-- Anonymous
    http://thecampingtrail.net

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. We like to say to newcomers that there is a lot to learn here. But in your case, I think there is a lot we could learn from you; and not just about hammocks!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast