Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    My DL 1.1 XLC Blackbird is slightly larger than a 2L soda bottle when in its double-ended stuff sack. My Superfly is slightly larger than a 1L SmartWater bottle (shorter but wider) when in its stuff sack. My 40F Burrow top quilt is about the size of a football when in its stuff sack. I'm still using a pad for bottom insulation so I can't help you with underquilt.
    That's perfect. Thank you.
    So all very much easier to pack than my tent and stuff.

So that seems a definite benefit. But the blackbird v ridgerunner question continues.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You can't really go wrong with either hammock. If you're a bigger person I'd recommend into looking at the xlc. Both hammocks in my opinion are completely different animals
    Honor guide me

Quote Originally Posted by Chris183 View Post
    You can't really go wrong with either hammock. If you're a bigger person I'd recommend into looking at the xlc. Both hammocks in my opinion are completely different animals
    I'm not huge. But I've got broad shoulders in proportion to my height.
    My understanding was the xlc is longer. Is it wider too?

Longer works out as less shoulder squeeze. I have the WBBB at the moment and at 6'2" with reasonably square build it is too narrow, get pretty bad squeeze. This was never a problem with the longer hammock I had before (although other than that it is awesome).

Another thing to keep in mind is the fabric. You might not need 1.7 dbl as I would have thought for your weight single would be fine, or if you want double then 1.1 should easily do the trick. (Don't go for 1.1 single!) Might not seem like much difference but it could help fit it into the panniers better.

Jared at Simply Light Designs does a very packable asym tarp that is brilliant value for money and would give you more space for UQ etc. if you need porch space, the WB mambajamba is really good too.

I would stick with sleeping bag at this stage too. It's not much of a half measure and I actually prefer the versatility of it and the fact that it works better when going to ground.

Should be able to get all this for $500 if you shop around?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I cant tell you anything about the wbbb (because I have never even seen one!) However, I have lots of nights in the WBRR! I am 6'4" 235 lbs with broad shoulders----the ridge runner is really comfortable for some one my size sleeping on their back or side. I have never been able to sleep on my stomach in the ridgerunner. Its very easy to set up--not much fiddling around or dialing it in like a gathered end hammock. Also you have no issues with calf pressure like you do on alot of gathered end hammocks. The lynx underquilt WB sells is excellent---only drawback is that it only works on bridge hammocks (custom designed for the ridge runner) I like the ridge runner so much that I got rid of my gathered end hammocks ! If youre hiking, you can easily use trekking poles for spreader bars. Also, the cloud burst tarp is pretty good, and the spindrift sock for the ridge runner works great in winter---I would highly recommend the second door mod if you go that route (really helps with condensation --brandon charges an extra 25 bucks for the mod--well worth it!) Good luck!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I just reread your origional post---if you need your hammock by next month, that may be a problem. (sometimes cottage shops have pretty long turn times) If you contact Brandon at warbonnet that would be a good question to ask!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I just reread your origional post---if you need your hammock by next month, that may be a problem. (sometimes cottage shops have pretty long turn times) If you contact Brandon at warbonnet that would be a good question to ask!
    it says 2 weeks right now on his web page. but by next month i really meant august for my big trip, so i should have plenty of time..

the ridge runner seems great, but the poles are my only turn off. so I'm almost tempted to lean towards the blackbird and hope i love it.

but its a big commitment for stuff I've never even seen in person.

Ok so I've got a cheap little "travel hammock" just a single layer of material and probably just under 9 foot long.

I'm laying in it right now reading in the park. And it's comfortable but one issue I do find is if I'm reading and spreading my arms the fabric is tight and bunches under my upper arm and is uncomfortable. And I can sometimes feel ridges running the length of the hammock. Overall I'd say it almost feels like it wants to close up too much on me. If I slip my arms and shoulders down it almost wants to flap over and cover my face. I'm guessing the superior design of a proper hammock would solve this issue?

Is this a problem I'm likely to face with the blackbird? Or does the diagonal lay essentially negate these problems?

I could definitely nap in this hammock. But a full night sleep I just don't know.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
    Ok so I've got a cheap little "travel hammock" just a single layer of material and probably just under 9 foot long.

I'm laying in it right now reading in the park. And it's comfortable but one issue I do find is if I'm reading and spreading my arms the fabric is tight and bunches under my upper arm and is uncomfortable. And I can sometimes feel ridges running the length of the hammock. Overall I'd say it almost feels like it wants to close up too much on me. If I slip my arms and shoulders down it almost wants to flap over and cover my face. I'm guessing the superior design of a proper hammock would solve this issue?

Is this a problem I'm likely to face with the blackbird? Or does the diagonal lay essentially negate these problems?

I could definitely nap in this hammock. But a full night sleep I just don't know.
    There are others on here much more knowledgeable, but I'm guessing that part of the problem is your hammock being short. I would think that the BB, being a longer/wider hammock, will allow you to get a flatter lay while being more diagonal.
    I'm 5'8" 200 and I know that for me the longer hammocks, 10'+, are much more comfortable.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post

Good to have an inexpensive throw down hammock to use while learning in the backyard. The best way to find out how it works for you overnight is to set it up in the backyard lab and see. Diagonal lay lay will help somewhat with the floppy material as will a good set up. My first hanging ride was done about an hour and a half from home after the backyard sorting out...made for some serious rethinking about kit. Disabilities cause me to limit stuff on the seat and no top case (easier to mount the bike) and so the entire hammock kit I took that night has been replaced. At 6-2 260ish I have a RR (the bride's) and a WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl. Much prefer the BB over the RR on the motorcycle for space savings (poles stink on the bike) and in general because I am wide beamed. A sensible compact lightweight backpacking gear approach on the motorcycle is my recommendation. For me that means down insulation (HG Burrow and Incubator) and a tarp big enough to cover but not too large (AHE Toxaway & WL Bullfrog). Coupled with the XLC this is my best moto kit ever YMMV.

BTW This kit is about half the size my ground dweller one was (it has been recycled) and much more comfortable. For us moto types bungee cords are dual use items...good for the tarp and bike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast