11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

2014 Western Washington Hang -- I hang my fiance for the first time

I have been trying to get my fiance ready for backpacking trips for a while now, I Figured that the Western Washington hang was the best chance to introduce her to not having amenities and being careful about what you choose to bring or leave behind. As last minute additions I threw in a couple things I would not normally take on trips to share with the group.

We arrived on site around 6ish and chatted with the other folks a bit before setting up our hammocks and tarp.

Our Gear:
    • DiY ~11.5' Argon Hammock w/ diy whoopies & straps using Dutch Buckles
    • DiY Fronkey style net
    • DiY Poncho-Liner-Under-Quilt
    • Sierra Designs Zissou sleeping bag
    • ENO Doublenest w/ diy whoopies & straps using toggles
    • Walmart Pad
    • ENO Bugnet
    • Coleman backpacking sleeping bag
    • 11' Superfly style Argon Sil tarp made by Boston

The plan was to set up on opposite sides of one tree. The trees here were a little smaller than I was used to and it took some rearranging but it eventually worked out fine. We really should have practiced a bit more before hand, it took entirely too long to set up and I will admit to getting frustrated because A) my brand new dutch buckles were slipping (I solved it by using slippery half hitches to hold and plan to do testing at home); and B) it was harder than expected to set everything up under the tarp initially. the fact that I made ASR for my hammock is what really made it all possible, having the slightly off-center hammock in a tarp built perfectly to the tarp meant things were a lot closer than planned.

Eventually we got everything set up, had dinner near the fire and went to bed, in the morning I took a few photos, here is my fiance's side
    20140614_100340_Richtone(HDR).jpg

My side, notice the gear? it IS under the tarp, but will come into play shortly:
    20140614_100417_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Here is how we managed to hang together; we hung on separate sides, but I raised and lowered our hammocks to also get a bunk bed style thing going on.
    20140614_100744_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The Tarp was very roomy, we each had plenty of room on our sides to move about.
    20140614_100524_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Speaking of the tarp, I want to show off some of the quality stitching that Boston did.
    20140614_100619_Richtone(HDR).jpg

And here is a pic of my hammock set-up, I really though I took a better pic, but it was hard to see. I used the underquilt because I had just made it a couple days ago and hadn't tested it. I made sure she had the same set-up that I used in 30* weather (expected tempts were 50-60*) to ensure that she stayed warm and had only tried and tested gear:
    20140614_100911_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the second day we hung around camp, played catchphrase, talked hammocks, and went to the nearby beach. No photos because I don't take them when I'm actually doing stuff. I will say this, everyone I met was friendly and generous and I look forward to seeing them again.

We had to leave early Sunday morning for father's day and other family events so we went to bed.

It rained during the last night, and while my fiance and I stayed dry, I woke up to a gentle pitter-patter on the tarp, looked over and saw my stuff getting went, I dragged them under me without any comprehension why and fell back asleep for another hour.

When I finally got up I took stock and realized what happened; I forgot to factor in the stretch of silnylon and didn't put any auto-tensioners in my system, thankfully both hammocks and everything in them stayed dry, and all my fiance's stuff was bone dry, not only had her side not stretched, she was smart enough to put everything under her hammock. I normally use a gear hammock, but couldn't figure out how to set it up to work this trip without slamming into one or both of us and kind of forgot to do something so basic.

Gary_R said that it actually rained really hard the previous night and might have even been a thunderstorm. given that info, the only stuff that was REALLY wet, were my wool socks, which I only had out due to a decision to wear my sleep pair to the car I the morning, everything else merely got a little damp.

post-rain pics You can see the stretch on my side. I'm not sure why her's didn't stretch, but I'm not questioning it:
    20140615_054707.jpg20140615_054815.jpg20140615_054833.jpg

She went into the trip hesitant but willing to try, and after the first night was really having fun. By the time we drove home, she was talking about wanting an under quilt, getting her brothers out camping and hanging, trying to sleep together in one of my giant hammocks, and looking forward to another trip

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    hey that's a nice setup! glad you two had fun. did movement from one hammock transfer to the other? sounds like someone caught the hammock camping bug!
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Awesome trip, sounds like you guys had a great time!

Glad you're enjoying the tarp! Sounds like it's passed it's first test. I agree with you about tensioners - sil argon is even more stretchy then normal 1.1 sil in my expirience.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Definitely was a good trip. Good to meet you kids! I took a bunch of pics. I'll have to see if I can't find a way to share them as they're all on FB and I'm too lazy to upload them to another media. Oh yes, and Applie Pie FTW!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I want to say it was a Lot of fun. I want to Thank our Most Excellent & Gracious Host Gary_R for sharing a Great location, and managing all of the details. John was the King of the Kampfire. Teegs and Randi (right?) provided Great firelight musical entertainment. Billy (hope that's right ) brews a Fine cup of tea. I hope to connect with fellow fly angler Ben soon. Everyone I met was awesome, friendly, generous, and willing to share their knowledge with a noob. My Clark and new UGQ quilts make for an ultra-comfy & cozy night's sleep. It was a Great weekend.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 06-18-2014 at 23:31.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Well, I don't have much to add to the trip report, since I spent most of the time snoozing in my hammock, but I did have a lot of fun seeing everyone again and meeting all the new people.

While I was preparing the fire I took a moment to shoot some video for this knife review, which includes views of the fire pit and a cameo by Stormy:

Hammock
    Diy Nylon
    Tarp
    Diy Nylon
    Insulation
    Diy Down Nylon
    Suspension
    Dutch continuous
    It sounds like you learned a lot from this trip. the next one will only be better for it. I\_/I
    One often encounters their fate on the path they take to avoid it.
    Oogway

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks like you guys had fun! Getting married and putting a bun in the oven has taken over my life but I'm hoping to make it out next year!

• + New Posts