Ok, stupid question that I'm not sure where to ask so here it is...

The Eno Indoor Hanging Kit... How good are they? What kind of weight can they support? I'm a large guy(295lbs) and I been having increasing amounts of pain from sleeping in a bed that I don't have when I hang out in the woods so I was thinking about hanging inside and these are what I found. They say they support up to 400 lbs, is that a "high side estimate" or has anyone actually tested that?

http://www.rei.com/product/847920/en...ck-hanging-kit

I found them at REI for $11.95 and I have a dividend check from there to bring the price to almost nil. I'd rather not end up on my tuchus again if I can help it LOL

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    never used them personally but have talked to a couple guys who have and had no problem. You can also get a pair of I bolts from any hardware shop and use them. I have used the i bolts to hang a porch swing for two people. The important part is simply to have it center on the studs in the wall.

Another possible option is http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Hammock-Stand/ Had a friend in college do this all year and never had any problems. I think he spent like 50-60 bucks to make it.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Standard climbing anchors

Those are basically just mountain or rock climbing anchors repackaged for hammock hanging. If the fasteners into the studs are adequate and most importantly the studs of the building are strong enough you should be OK. Personally I feel better with a free standing tripod stand, there are several very long threads on these here at HF, with many great ideas. But if your home is well constructed a wall anchor or large eye bolt should work. If you are concerned you could place a 2"x6" board across several studs but if your wife is like mine she will not approve.

Edit: anchor by petzl.com the "Coeur GouJon" has a pull out strength of 18k Newtons (4047 lbs of force) or 25 "kN" shear strength. So a failure is not in the anchor but the fastener or stud.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-18-2014 at 01:06. Reason: Edit details on climbing anchors

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Those are basically just mountain or rock climbing anchors repackaged for hammock hanging. If the fasteners into the studs are adequate and most importantly the studs of the building are strong enough you should be OK. Personally I feel better with a free standing tripod stand, there are several very long threads on these here at HF, with many great ideas. But if your home is well constructed a wall anchor or large eye bolt should work. If you are concerned you could place a 2"x6" board across several studs but if your wife is like mine she will not approve.
    Maybe you could try disguising it as part of a shelf or something?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The hardware is not the problem. Finding a big enough stud that can handle the stress will be the issue. You might want to rig up a 4x6 post. If possioble you might want to find a carpenter to consult with.

I have had a 4x4 posts break on me when using them outside ( I weighed in a close to 300 lbs then )
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts