Dream Hammock Sparrow 7007
    Tarp
    WarBonnet MtnFly
    Insulation
    WildernessLogics
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Underquilt for Blackbird XLC 6'2" hanger

I am trying to decide what UQ would be good fit for me. Possibilities seem endless here. I froze a few weeks ago with no insulation in NC mountains and don't want to do that again. Ive researched all the UQs on this site and still do not know which route to take. I'm looking for guys who are my size and use a Blackbird XLC to give me some good recommendations. I do not forsee dead of winter camping. I will combine hiking and car camping. Thanks for any suggestions.

MJ

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Incub20
    Suspension
    Web Susp
    I'm only 6 with the xlc 1.1. I currently have the jarbridge from AHE. I have used it successfully from 27-70 with an UQP from 2qzq. 27 required some extra clothing and I did develop cold spots thru the night but it is only rated to 30° so I was very pleased with that. The quilt is only a 3/4 quilt but at 58 in, it is much longer than other 3/4's. It is the absolute best deal for $100. I also don't like using a pad under my feet and find above 45° I don't need one.

I am really wanting a HG Incubator 20. My son is in the scouts and we camp from NC to FL. I hate to be cold so the incubator will become my 20-45 degree quilt and my jarbridge will be from 45-70ish. Just giving you ideas, YMMV.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WarBonnet MtnFly
    Insulation
    WildernessLogics
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks, laxdad. My son is in Troop 23.. It seems that most of the boys are sleeping in hammocks now, but I'm the only dad I've noticed on campouts. I need to get him a UQ, too. The Jarbridge may fit the bill for him. He sweats in 30 degrees. I freeze at 65.

I also have a lot of friends whose sons are bamalax players. 8th graders this year.

Quote Originally Posted by laxdad View Post
    I'm only 6 with the xlc 1.1. I currently have the jarbridge from AHE. I have used it successfully from 27-70 with an UQP from 2qzq. 27 required some extra clothing and I did develop cold spots thru the night but it is only rated to 30° so I was very pleased with that. The quilt is only a 3/4 quilt but at 58 in, it is much longer than other 3/4's. It is the absolute best deal for $100. I also don't like using a pad under my feet and find above 45° I don't need one.

I am really wanting a HG Incubator 20. My son is in the scouts and we camp from NC to FL. I hate to be cold so the incubator will become my 20-45 degree quilt and my jarbridge will be from 45-70ish. Just giving you ideas, YMMV.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I'm 6'-5" and have a couple Blackbirds, including the XLC 1.1 DL. I use a 20° Phoenix 3/4 length during late spring through end of summer. Early spring and fall-winter I use a 20° Incubator that Adam made custom length for me. Can't say enough good things about Hammock Gear quilts, top notch all the way.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I'm 6'5" 240lbs with the XLC. I have used a 20 Incubator from Hammock Gear. If I can figure out how to keep it in place I would be very happy with it, but I'm a rough and tumble sleeper. The thing is top notch and I had zero cold spots when fitted right. My only real complaint is I wish that it was wider. I don't know the exact dimensions of it but it just covers up to the traverse plane of body. I wish it came up around me a little more. I got the standard length and it covers me head to toe just fine.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WarBonnet MtnFly
    Insulation
    WildernessLogics
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks, Yukon and Sucka. I'm thinking the 3/4 Phoenix is the answer for me. Hoping a 20 degree is not overkill.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    20 should be good. If you get warm just adjust your top insulation and if that isn't enough the UQ can be moved around with ease. It's better to go more than you need than not enough. These things are expensive and you'd hate to find out a 40 isn't warm enough.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    HG incubator o*
    Suspension
    webbing and buckle
    I'm 6-3" about 270lbs I use hammock gear UQ 0* incubator. Best one I have ever used in my blackbird xlc. I've used in 3* all the way up to 50* as long as you vent it. I swear by this one for us taller guys. I ordered my extra long & I have never had a problem keeping it on. I'm also a very rough sleeper with restless leg syndrome. IMO full length UQ is best don't ever have to worry about legs freezing
    The path you choose in life. Should lead straight to a Hammock!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WarBonnet MtnFly
    Insulation
    WildernessLogics
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I went ahead and ordered two full length long New Rivers from Arrowhead. I needed one for me and one for my son. I figured with all the good reviews, how could I go wrong. I started out wanting a 3/4, but fooling around with getting it right doesn't really suit my patience. I also got two for almost what one comparable down UQ might cost. My son and I are both looking forward to warmer nights.

Thanks for the responses. This is a great site.

• + New Posts