Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My portable hammock stand

A month or so ago, with a new ENO DN Hammock and and upcoming music festival, I set out to make a portable hammock stand.. So many ways to do it on here.. I wanted it to be solid, but able to break down/setup quickly, and easily transportable.

And here's what I came up with!
    hammock.png

It served us quite well all weekend at the fest! Regularly had 2 adults in it, or multiple kids playing around. At one point we had 2 adults and 3 or 4 kids, and no issues!

Each end is an A frame, made of chainlink fence top-rails. They are joined together, by taking 2 couplers for the pipe, pounding one side of each flat, and attaching an eyelet bolt through them. The eyelet is used to attach the hammock, attach the ridgeline, and for the webbing strap back to the anchor. The anchor is a rebar stake, driven in at a 60* angle, same angle that the A Frames sit at.
    The ridge line is used to support tarp, tapestries, lights, drinks, etc. It also holds both of the A Frames up and in tension, when the hammock is empty. All in all, i ended up spending less than $30 on it, since most of the parts I already had.

It also packs up quite nicely! I don't have a pic of it, but the frame all goes in one bundle.. basically, the 2x4s each sit on end, and the 4 pipes go between them, stacked 2x2. The anchors all go inside the pipes. The flag poles set right on the pipes, and it all gets wrapped in a chunk of tarp. Then, the hammock, and all the other bits, including the 2 'Hubs' all goes in a small duffle bag. Transports quite well!

Here's a couple more shots from the development phase to give some clearer detail..
    6-17-2014 3-39-07 PM.jpg6-17-2014 3-39-02 PM.jpg

Development was happening in an extremely soggy backyard, but even still, the system stayed strong! I did learn there though, that the smaller rebar (maybe 3/8") makes a MUCH better anchor than the length of black pipe that I started with!

woot!

So, I have an old big tent that it was time to retire.. I'm going to part it out for DIY projects as much as I can.. Well, I already was able to find a use for the rainfly!
    it pretty much perfectly fits on this stand! Well, not perfectly, but it works rather well.
    photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Surprised noone has commented on this yet...looks great. Trying figure out what stand I'm building for my wife and I in our back yard. How much space does this take from end to end (including the anchors at the ends)

Good looking hammock stand joshjv. I like the stability of your A frame design. I have a lot of trees in my backyard but made a stand just to prove I could hang without trees. Ran into the same issue of quality anchors to put into soggy ground. Once that problem is solved, it is hanging bliss. Excellent work on your stand joshjv.

I like it. Does the rebar anchor slip? How far in the ground?

Here are some stands I've been experimenting with: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nd-or-a-seesaw

Quote Originally Posted by lanejustin View Post
    Surprised noone has commented on this yet...looks great. Trying figure out what stand I'm building for my wife and I in our back yard. How much space does this take from end to end (including the anchors at the ends)
    I'll take a measurement at lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated Hanger View Post
    Good looking hammock stand joshjv. I like the stability of your A frame design. I have a lot of trees in my backyard but made a stand just to prove I could hang without trees. Ran into the same issue of quality anchors to put into soggy ground. Once that problem is solved, it is hanging bliss. Excellent work on your stand joshjv.
    Thanks! It really is stable! had 2 people and several kids in it, had multiple kids climbing and bouncing around, 2 adults climbing and bouncing around , etc and never has it slipped, shifted, or fallen!

Quote Originally Posted by jbritely View Post
    I like it. Does the rebar anchor slip? How far in the ground?
    Here are some stands I've been experimenting with: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nd-or-a-seesaw
    The rebar is only 3/8" or so, I think it's 2 feet long, with maybe 12-18" in the ground. The rebar anchor is rock solid. Even on the soggy ground, it help solid. The key is to drive it in at a 60* angle leaning back from the hammock. I then make sure the webbing attachment is all the way at ground level, then hammer the rebar a couple more times to just barely drive the webbing into the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast