Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question using hammock bed?

Hi,
    I really love hammock camping, and i want to use a hammock as a bed replacement in my house. I'd buy a separate hammock obviously--something less tent-y like a mayan or brazillian. However, my parents think that sleeping in a hammock will be bad for the back AND I'll find it uncomfortable. How can I convince them to let me?
    thanks for your help!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Since you already have a hammock that you use for camping, setup the hammock in your back yard. Next get you dad to sleep in it overnight of for an afternoon nap.

He will fall in love and then you mom will have to worry about 2 hammocks in the house.

Turn them into allies, not enemies.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Cultures that sleep in hammocks generally have little back problems. This cannot be said about our culture that seems to torture themselves on foam and spring. My hammock is cool, not in the nerdy way, but in the fact that when it is hot out and I dont want to run the a.c., I'm cool and comfortable. Usually still needing my underside insulated somehow, even at ~75*, Cold Butt Syndrome is real, and I would have doubted it prior to sleeping indoors (outside insul. made sense, but I'm indoors, how can I get cold?, I'm tough,; not true). I remedy this with a blanket when inside.
    As far as back problems, I've been unfortunate enough to have had a slipped disc and pinched nerves, and know the pain and suffering they bring. Countless sleepless nights and many frustrating moments trying to get adjusted on my thousand dollar prescription mattress, which is a huge joke and a waste of money.

My first hammock, as of lately, I converted to hammocks a few months ago in sleepless frustration, cost me 15 bucks, a huge savings compared to my big $$ mattre$$. Mattresses are expensive, big,bulky, warm in the heat, and occupy alot of usable living space. When I take out my queen-size bed, I have room for a couch or chair, just setting the hammock aside for the day. Or I just chill in the hammock. More space=more functional room. When I move again(god-forbid), my new bed will fit in my pocket, try that with a mattress.

Now I sleep in my hammock religiously, speaking the sermon of hammocks to all who will listen. Sleep all night now, with occassional bathroom breaks, **** bladder.

My back feels great, I sleep thru the night, have more energy during the day, its cheaper than any bed out there, practical (takes up less space). can I get an amen!?
    If you really want to convert your parents, let them try sleeping in your hammock, then you can buy two more.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, putting them in a hammock is the best idea. However, some folks are not comfortable in a hammock....especially when their minds are already made against the idea. If your parents are cold hard facts folks, you could try what I did for fun.

When I was but a wee young hammock hanger, I decided to preform a little experiment with my Chiropractor. I went in for an adjustment to get everything reset, then I spent a week in my hammock and went back for another adjustment. After that I spent a week in my bed and went in for another adjustment. My Chiropractor's assessment; "I hope everybody doesn't start sleeping in hammocks. I'll be out of a job"

I switched over to a full time hammock specifically because of my back. From the age of 16 until my hammock ascension at age 36, my back would go out once or twice a year. To the point that I was unable to walk upright as Homo erectus for a week or more. I turn 40 next summer and my back hasn't gone out on me once since I started sleeping in a hammock full-time. My shoulders, hips, and knees give me far less problems too.

My body has been treated very harshly over the years and I've got more broken bones than I've had birthdays (by a good amount I might add); surgeries aren't far behind either. Hammocks have helped me feel 'normal' again and I was amazed (and continue to be) how much better sleep I get in a hammock. I've never needed much sleep, maybe 5-6 hours a night was good. Hammocks allow me even less sleep time when necessary while still allowing me to feel rested in the morning. So nice to sleep soundly and awake in the same position that I fell asleep in. Viva Hammocks!

By the way, Welcome to the Forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Haven Tent
    Tarp
    Walmart blue tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DIY straps.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    can I get an amen!?
    Amen!

Unfortunately, if you want to sleep in a hammock full time, you've got to prepare yourself to be considered a bit of a loon by the majority of people. I think many of us hangers secretly enjoy this status.

For convincing your parents, I can't add much to what's been posted already, except to say that I sneak sleeps in my Mayan hammock in the basement when my wife is out of town, which happens to be most weekdays during the summer, so I'm enjoying my seasonal hammock sleeping right now. Back pain from an old bed was what originally got me into my Mayan hammock, and although the new bed doesn't cause me much pain when I sleep in it, I still prefer sleeping in the hammock, and have not observed any increase in back pain in the 2+ years I've been doing it.

Good luck!

Nat

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I broke my back & a bunch of ribs in 02. Then I discovered hammocks in early 05 & have been sleeping in one full time since.
    I think there have been two nights that (for some unknown reason) I decided to try a bed again. Those were not good nights sleep.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Is there any special hardware needed to hang inside? I'm guessing that you use something to attach into a wall 2x4 ?? Is one attachment point on the wall per end enough to hold all the forces exerted when you're in the hammock??
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Is there any special hardware needed to hang inside? I'm guessing that you use something to attach into a wall 2x4 ?? Is one attachment point on the wall per end enough to hold all the forces exerted when you're in the hammock??
    TinaLouise
    There has been a lot of discussion on this topic, some heated (by HF standards anyway). I hung from two eyebolts screwed into 2x4 struts for about 6 months...and I ain't no lightweight. However, I did eventually build a stand and was much happier about it. One just can't help imagine the 2x4s giving way in the wee hours. You can build a good-enough stand for less than $50, very good investment IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The only reason I hung the way I did is Mrs. gargoyle has not yet converted to the truth and light of the hammock kingdom. If I had my way, which doesn't happen often, I would have pitched the giant mattress to the curb a loooong time ago. There are a number of ways to hang inside, and the best way without damaging the walls is a stand.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=gargoylebird
    If you are NOT SURE about the construction of your home or whats behind your drywall, find someone who is, prior to drilling a hole into your water pipes, actually saw that done once, basement gets wet, avoid. Eyebolts that are solid at the eye, not just turned hooks are best. It can be done and is working fine, but know what your doing or find a freind that does.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    The boss is going out-of-town this weekend...
    Upon returning, she will be suprised to see a re-arranged bedroom with the addition of hammock stand.
    My back cries out for full-time hanging!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast