Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies

Byer Moskito Hammock?

I was at the local flyshop today and they had these for $44. Just curious if anyone has one and what you think of it? I need a netted hammock for my son and for $44 and 16oz (without straps) it seems like a good deal, especially since at the moment I can't afford to get him the one I really wanna get him. He's 6 so it's plenty big for him, just wondering if it's a decent hammock or if it has any problems.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a couple. Too short for me(5'11), too stretchy, and the rope shrouds are a pain, always getting tangled. I suppose it's serviceable for a six yr. old though.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I love mine, I'm 5'11" and it's more comfortable than my HH Explorer UL, my 10' SLD Streamliner, my tablecloths and most of the other hammocks I've tried. Love the weight, the nets not great, I bought a damaged one from an REI yard sale for around $10, cut the cordage and replaced with lashit dogbones. Add those light straps from harbor freight and the kit stays pretty close to a pound.

They are a fair value and if you can get your kid to be cautious of the net it'll be a good intro. Check around for better pricing, they also make one in a gathered end that has mixed reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I have a couple. Too short for me(5'11), too stretchy, and the rope shrouds are a pain, always getting tangled. I suppose it's serviceable for a six yr. old though.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ...Too short for me(5'11)...
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I love mine, I'm 5'11"...
    Hence, the saying...HYOH.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Byer Moskito Hammock was the first hammock I bought for my son. He tore the bugnet in maybe 15 minutes by sitting on it. The hammock comes with a separate ridgeline to keep the bugnet out of your face. I'm not a big fan of bugnets that require their own ridgeline.

I also own several tablecloth hammocks, a BIAS WWM, WWM DL, Hiker Lite, and a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip. In comfort, I'd rank the Byer the lowest, possibly a tie with the Hennessy. Funny how dirtwheels ranks it his most comfortable hammock, and I rank it my least comfortable. I find tablecloth hammocks to be most comfortable, but when hiking I use a BIAS Hiker Lite.

I agree with dirtwheels that you can probably find a better price. I usually see them in the big box stores (REI, EMS) for $30 to $35.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Hahaha now these aren't conflicting reports at all! Where does the bugnet tend to tear, at the seams or from the RL? How hard was it to replace the rope with dogbones? I've never considered getting one of these but my son wants his own and he likes the zippered nets. I saw this one and thought it might do until I can afford to pick him up a Bonefire hammock another member has.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Bugnet ripped at the ridgeline. I was personally disinclined to replace the shroud ropes with Lash-It dogbones. I've also heard of people replacing the ropes with Zing-It whoopies. Sounds like a lot of work trying to improve a $30 hammock.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    SS is correct, it was a lot of work, I was very new to hammocks and did the mods as both an experiment and an intro to splicing. While I would not hesitate to take the miskito camping, I also agree with SS the zip nets are not my 1st choice. The miskito has 3 things in it's favor other than comfort, price, weight and compact size. Really the process is not difficult just a little tedious, if it's an interim purchase I wouldn't bother as the cords likely won't stretch a lot with a lighter load. One thing I personally like about it is that the sides are not floppy. I don't think the bugnet is constructed with problem areas as the ones I've seen at the REI yard sales appeared random over about 3 of those I've seen maybe 4. Flip it over if you want to use it without using the bugnet.

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Hahaha now these aren't conflicting reports at all! Where does the bugnet tend to tear, at the seams or from the RL? How hard was it to replace the rope with dogbones? I've never considered getting one of these but my son wants his own and he likes the zippered nets. I saw this one and thought it might do until I can afford to pick him up a Bonefire hammock another member has.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I have a friend how uses this Byer hammock. He likes it just fine. For a cheap hammock, I think it's a bargan, particularly if you're willing to do some quick modifications like changing out the suspension and working to integrate the ridgeline inside the bugnet. Both are pretty easy to do. Before you do any modifications, try it out and see if you like it as is, some people may like it. My buddy did and never changed a thing (though I would).

And let me know when you want to consider a Bonefire (TM). I'm working on the fourth version of the design now.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    I picked up the Byer hammock at an REI yard sale for $14.99 with torn bugnet. It was my first hammock and I still have never been in it. I had already bought my second hammock, an Exped, before I had a chance to buy tree huggers for the Byer. The tears in the bugnet were neither at the seams nor at the ridgeline. They were in the middle of the sides and I thought that someone may have put their foot through it. I intend to someday fix the netting with a patch of other netting that I have and use this as an always in the kayak hammock for day use. The no-see-um mesh strikes me as much more delicate than the bug mesh on my Exped. That may be colored by the fact that the Byer was marked as a customer return that tore with first use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast