Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    BIAS weight weenie
    Tarp
    maccat ultra
    Suspension
    straps, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Poof View Post
    I'm also taking a friend from work, so we ended up only doing a Friday/Saturday hike. BUT...I am def open to doing another trail on Sunday if anyone has an interest.

We are meeting up Thursday evening, July 3, at Smokmont campground, just for convenience. Ewker is going to help me shuttle. We are not doing big miles. The goal for this is hike is enjoying the woods and good company.

We are going to start at Newfound Gap Road and hike the Thomas Ridge Trail to the MTS trail. Friday night is at CS 52. Hiking back to Newfound road on the Mingus Creek Trail Saturday.

visionarylion and DomisticTourist: If you are interested in join us (and I hope you can!), please let me know if you want to hike Sunday and I will start researching a possibility for us.

~Poof~
    Ok, I'm trying to arrange things to attend. My son may come with me. A few details might help me finalize my plans. Are we walking in on Thursday night or camping at Smokemont Thursday? Do I need to make separate reservations at CS52? Is this a hammock trip or a pad/tent/shelter trip?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    How late do you think you'll finish your 5.7 mile hike back to Newfound Gap Rd on Saturday? I need Newton Bald and Mingus Creek along with Gap Trail for my map.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DomesticTourist View Post
    Ok, I'm trying to arrange things to attend. My son may come with me. A few details might help me finalize my plans. Are we walking in on Thursday night or camping at Smokemont Thursday? Do I need to make separate reservations at CS52? Is this a hammock trip or a pad/tent/shelter trip?
    CS 52 and Smokemont can manage tents or hammocks. No shelters at either. I believe the trek to 52 starts Friday.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    How late do you think you'll finish your 5.7 mile hike back to Newfound Gap Rd on Saturday? I need Newton Bald and Mingus Creek along with Gap Trail for my map.
    I wouldn't think too late. You thinking about joining us? We'll work something so that you can get what you need.

I just got back from doing the Forney Creek / Forney Ridge Loop. My first solo!! It was a challenge, but it was great. I videoed (of course). I'm going to do a trip report when I finish my vid.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Just camping Thursday night. I will add you to my reservation if you think you will join us. Hope your son comes! I don't care what people sleep in. It's the trip that is important

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I wouldn't think too late. You thinking about joining us? We'll work something so that you can get what you need.

I just got back from doing the Forney Creek / Forney Ridge Loop. My first solo!! It was a challenge, but it was great. I videoed (of course). I'm going to do a trip report when I finish my vid.
    That's a steep climb you just did! I took my Forneycation as a day hike last year. I know I need Mingus and Newton Bald, but I'll want to grab whatever those touch while I'm there.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    First solo woohoo! Looking forward to the trip vid.
    I just got off the bicycle trying (in vain) to get ready for the Great Alleghany Passage.
    I bet it was hot on the trail-was toasty on the bike.
    Very toasty!! And wet!...I should always pack electrolytes in the summer...

Working on the vid now. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to post it.

Hammock
    BIAS weight weenie
    Tarp
    maccat ultra
    Suspension
    straps, whoopies
    Just camping Thursday night. I will add you to my reservation if you think you will join us. Hope your son comes! I don't care what people sleep in. It's the trip that is important
    Do you have a tent site reserved at Smokemont? I couldn't see anything available.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Do you have a tent site reserved at Smokemont? I couldn't see anything available.
    I already have the site reserved. I'm sure we can fit in a tent even if I have to go into the woods to make room

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    That's a steep climb you just did! I took my Forneycation as a day hike last year. I know I need Mingus and Newton Bald, but I'll want to grab whatever those touch while I'm there.
    Do the two day with the group, then you and I can do an out and back on the Newton Bald if you want to. Or you can meet the group Friday night and hike in on Newton.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast