WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Cool Question about Required Insulation for AT

Hey guys i was reading Billslade's "Heading out to the AT in comfort" thread a little down from the top in the long distance section and was struck by how many bags/things he's bringing.

BIll if your here (or anyone else) Are you carrying all those quilts/bags...

From thread: "Cold temps:
    JRB Mt Washington Underquilt
    Nunatak Arc Expedition Topquilt w/ Balaclava

Warmer temps:
    JRB Nest Underquilt
    Nunatak Arc Ghost Topquilt"

...at one time or do you have them sent to you when you reach certain areas?

Also my main question: What as far as insulation would you need to carry for an AT thru hike? I know you'd need a UQ, but what about Weather shields, TQ, etc? What have you guys who've done such hikes taken?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A weathershield would have been a nice thing on a few occasions, but certainly not necessary. A topquilt, or something on top, is very much a requirement. I used the same torso UQ all the way (synthetic prototype of the Warbonnet Yeti), but switched out my winter topquilt (Rocky Mtn. Sniveler) for a summer quilt (Shenandoah) along the way.

A UQ is not required, just very very nice to have. Hiked most of the way with a buddy (Yazzi) that used only pads under him. However, he was a little 'off'.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Bill was hanging in some pretty cold temps with his Mt. Washington in NC. Hopefully he'll wander out of the woods and give you an answer. I believe he hadn't switched to his summer setup when I met him, which was a little more than a month ago, I think. I'm pretty sure he did a mail drop switch when things got warm.

Bill, if you read this, I'm curious to know how well you were able to keep all that down dry in the relentless rains of May and June. This has been a really soggy year for a thru-hiker, but it has to feel good to not be sleeping in the mud.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    A weathershield would have been a nice thing on a few occasions, but certainly not necessary. A topquilt, or something on top, is very much a requirement. I used the same torso UQ all the way (synthetic prototype of the Warbonnet Yeti), but switched out my winter topquilt (Rocky Mtn. Sniveler) for a summer quilt (Shenandoah) along the way.

A UQ is not required, just very very nice to have. Hiked most of the way with a buddy (Yazzi) that used only pads under him. However, he was a little 'off'.
    Hey Cannibal, did you use a pad under you at all, or did you just go with the Yeti prototype by itself?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jofish View Post
    Hey Cannibal, did you use a pad under you at all, or did you just go with the Yeti prototype by itself?
    Best of intentions and all that.

I actually 'forgot' to bring a pad with me at the start; you know, when it was cold and I could have used one. That's when I started using my pack for insulation (necessity being the mother of invention). I quickly discovered that as long as my pack was dry, it actually worked better for me. I did eventually pick up a walmart blue pad for two reasons.

1. On a long hike like the AT, the value of a soft and clean place to sit simply cannot be overstated.

2. Made a great hitching sign on the back of my pack. On one side "AT hiker to town" and on the other "AT hiker to Trail". I just clipped it on the back of my pack with the appropriate side facing traffic and started walking. Rarely had to even stick my thumb out.

I don't carry one at all anymore as my hikes are short and hitching is rarely required. During the winter months, I do carry a full length GG 1/8" pad that I fold-up under my feet/legs because if I get in too deep and it gets really cold, I can unfold and boost my doable temps quite a bit lower. Last resort kind of thing.

Oh yeah the prototype has been, for the most part, put to pasture. All of the quilts I use these days are down, cause you know...I'm a weenie.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH HyperLite w/ Zipper Mod#2
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Hey guys i was reading Billslade's "Heading out to the AT in comfort" thread a little down from the top in the long distance section and was struck by how many bags/things he's bringing.

BIll if your here (or anyone else) Are you carrying all those quilts/bags...

From thread: "Cold temps:
    JRB Mt Washington Underquilt
    Nunatak Arc Expedition Topquilt w/ Balaclava

Warmer temps:
    JRB Nest Underquilt
    Nunatak Arc Ghost Topquilt"

...at one time or do you have them sent to you when you reach certain areas?

Also my main question: What as far as insulation would you need to carry for an AT thru hike? I know you'd need a UQ, but what about Weather shields, TQ, etc? What have you guys who've done such hikes taken?
    Hello to all -

I just wandered out of the woods into Vernon, NJ. Enjoying the church hostel and some good food in town. Life on the AT is so great I have a hard time putting it into words.

I started out with the cold weather set and then in Pearisburg, VA switched to my warm weather gear. I have family in Blacksburg which made this easy. I'll switch back to the cold weather gear in Hanover, NH.

You will need top and bottom insulation. I'm in the minority for using a under quilt for bottom insulation. Most hammock sleeper on the AT seem to use a pad. I feel this is because of cost and the ability to go to the ground if necessary. I have seen a few crazy people use no bottom insulation even when starting out. They sleep in all their clothes and seem to be only slightly cool. I have only slept on the ground one night on a couch pad and regretted it. I love the underquilt and would not go back to a pad. I did switch to the Mt Washington 3 for summer use. The 4 version worked great in mid teen temps and blowing snow in the Smokys.

For top insulation my top-quilt has worked out great. Most people are using a sleeping bag which works fine but requires more effort to get into and out of.

I don't feel the need for a weather shield. Only a few times I had rain/mud splash up on the underquilt and it was easily wiped off in the morning.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm loving hammock camping on the AT. It's a great way to end the day and I feel refreshed in the morning.

Hiking On - Bill

Hammock
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Bill was hanging in some pretty cold temps with his Mt. Washington in NC. Hopefully he'll wander out of the woods and give you an answer. I believe he hadn't switched to his summer setup when I met him, which was a little more than a month ago, I think. I'm pretty sure he did a mail drop switch when things got warm.

Bill, if you read this, I'm curious to know how well you were able to keep all that down dry in the relentless rains of May and June. This has been a really soggy year for a thru-hiker, but it has to feel good to not be sleeping in the mud.
    Hello vitamaltz

I had no problem keeping the down dry. I would use a sea to summit light weight dry sack to store the hammock/underquilt in and another to store my topquilt. Then both of these would go into a trash compacter bag and placed in the bottom of my pack. When it would rain for days on end the down would get slightly damp and loose a little loft. But as soon as the air dried out or the sun appeared the loft would return. This loss of loft didn't seem to affect the sleeping comfort as all and was minimal. Some days I would wipe the underquilt off before packing it if any water had beaded up on the outside. Also I would never pack the webbing with the hammock if it was really wet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4
    Cannibal - I agree, I have been using a small piece of the GG 1/8" foam for a sit pad. I'm sure it weights about an ounce and is nice to have for wet or hard ground/rock. I also used it to add insulation for my feet when I encountered the really cold temps in the Smokys

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Best of intentions and all that.

I actually 'forgot' to bring a pad with me at the start; you know, when it was cold and I could have used one. That's when I started using my pack for insulation (necessity being the mother of invention). I quickly discovered that as long as my pack was dry, it actually worked better for me. I did eventually pick up a walmart blue pad for two reasons.

1. On a long hike like the AT, the value of a soft and clean place to sit simply cannot be overstated.

2. Made a great hitching sign on the back of my pack. On one side "AT hiker to town" and on the other "AT hiker to Trail". I just clipped it on the back of my pack with the appropriate side facing traffic and started walking. Rarely had to even stick my thumb out.

I don't carry one at all anymore as my hikes are short and hitching is rarely required. During the winter months, I do carry a full length GG 1/8" pad that I fold-up under my feet/legs because if I get in too deep and it gets really cold, I can unfold and boost my doable temps quite a bit lower. Last resort kind of thing.

Oh yeah the prototype has been, for the most part, put to pasture. All of the quilts I use these days are down, cause you know...I'm a weenie.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Best of luck bill, hope you have the time of your life-seems like you already are! keep it up! Im sure your dad is already a convert

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good hiking billslade. Sounds like you're having a blast, keep it up. Glad you learned your lesson about going to ground; just doesn't seem worth it in the morning does it?

Hike and Hang Happy!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast