bliss no see um
    Tarp
    light and cheap
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ratchet straps

Hammock camping trailer

I have a trailer company and have been building custom trailers for search, rescue and disaster operations. I also build small custom trailers for kayakers.
    I had a customer a few weeks ago looking at one of my disaster trailers and the conversation turned to hammock camping. I have used a hammock for backpacking for years and have my disaster trailers set up to swing a hammock from but I always figured I was the only guy who thought it was neat.

I wanted to pose a question to the members here if they thought the idea of a small trailer that you could take camping and support your hammocks from is a good idea?
    It takes quite a bit of time, money and materials just to get something like this road ready so before I jump into it its always best to ask for some feedback.

I was thinking about a lightweight utility trailer that would have steel arms that can be extended on four corners to sling hammocks from. For the top I could fab up a tarp support system. The decking would be made out of pressure treated lumber and if the customer wanted we could add side diamond plate cargo boxes like we have on the disaster trailers.

The customer I was talking too related that he loved his hammocks and sometimes just wanted to go to a park and hang, without necessarily taking the time to go into the back country. I could see his point and that has brought me to hammockforums.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I like this idea. How viable it would be to be profitable would ultimately depend on cost and if it could be multifunctional, in my opinion. I've thought about this before, more along the lines of a utility trailer with with the ability to hang inside with open screened sides. Or more likely a portable easy to use cross member and set up for a pick up truck, good luck and some pics of your set up would help us
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm not sure you will get a good sense of the pragmatic from this bunch. It's kind of like asking long distance runners if they think special shoes would be a good thing to have. I doubt anyone is going to say it is not an interesting idea. But to what extent that translates to potential customers is highly questionable. There are already a number of reasonable portable stands which can be used for car camping. It seems to me you might be better off polling your rescue disaster folks who form the base of your current clientele. My sense is that would give you a better idea of how commercially viable it could be.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Great idea but how many of us could afford it to make it worth the cost to you to build would be the question. Maybe some sort of retro fit kit for most trailers might be a better way to go. Just throwing out and idea.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    bliss no see um
    Tarp
    light and cheap
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Cost is always what kills anything. The dual purpose trailer is something I had already considered. I was going to do a base utility trailer and add the hammock support arms that could be pinned in place when needed.
    This trailer would have to come in at under $1200 to make it viable and I am pretty sure I can do that. If you want to add boxes and a lighting system it goes up of course.
    The retro fit kit is not a bad idea but it is the shipping that usually kills something like that.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Are you doing market research or plugging sales? I find the first intrusive for a first poster. I find the second a violation of the terms of service. Not that I have any authority. I'm feeling used.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Can you add a generator and satellite dish?

Just kidding. I use my hammock and backpack to get away from the guy pulling the trailer.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Keep in mind that hammocks are getting longer and longer. I like the idea for car camping, but for the most part, I car camp where there are trees to hang from.

Though I have thought about an RV that had room to hang for bedding.

To be honest, you might have better luck with developing a great hammock stand with a good weight limit (400 lbs + since that seems the highest weight limits to hammocks). And if you could make it so it was easy enough and light weight enough to take on the road. I think that would sell more.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    OCDave, I'm with you....

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    as a guy who doesnt have the time with a young family to go into the back country a trailer that can hold some hammocks would be very awesome. Perhaps one that can secure other family camping supplies.

i would say that a link to what you currently produce would be beneficial as well.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast