bliss no see um
    Tarp
    light and cheap
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Are you doing market research or plugging sales? I find the first intrusive for a first poster. I find the second a violation of the terms of service. Not that I have any authority. I'm feeling used.
    Research. I stated who I am and my intentions in the introduce yourself area. I have not built anything to sell as of yet. I am just checking to see if there is a market for something like this. It only makes sense to me to ask questions like these here.

I don`t want to violate anything. If the day comes where there is actually something to buy I would be happy to pay for the privilege to advertise.

I tried to be honest in my introduction and explain why I am doing this.
    Sorry if you feel used, I did not intend to come across that way.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I'm not a backpacker, but I AM a kayaker. Most times I paddle out and camp however, if I could pull my kayak on a trailer, then hang from the trailer, that would be awesome! Even if it's only for one night, before paddling out, it would be great. Oftentimes, when you set out Friday night, you get to your launch spot, and by the time you pack the kayak and set out, it's 8pm, you get to your island and try to set up in the dark. With the trailer, you could set out in the morning, totally fresh. I like your idea!
    Debi

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Cool idea......one thought; take a look at the use of pipes and square tubing as stands, basically clothes-rack stands or rectangular prisms, and see if there's a structure that could be retrofitted to an existing light utility trailer, say one of those 4x8 trailers I see all the time at the local stores... while that is a little bit small; with a sort of extension up top, OR angled out from 8 ft bases, you could have a way to suspend 2 hammocks with room in between for a table and such?
    Also, those who use trailers for camping, maybe find a way to reinforce the framework to support hammocks up to 400-600 pounds? I've seen people hang from those truck bed ladder racks; usually diagonally or one end on the framework and the other to a tree... Depending on the size of the trailer, you might be able to get away with just two triangles on the ends with a ridge pole; basically an A-frame stand...or a trussed rectangular prism, again, depending on the size and type of trailer. a way to attach to the 2x4 brackets on a 4x8 folding utility trailer might be a good place to start, I know there are several 2x4 stands existing, but a way to fix em onto the said trailer, could be a boon to the idea of hanging to the side of the trailer, or something, with a longer top bar if clothes line style, or an outrigger type with the angled stand sections...maybe something as simple as having leg extensions on a 2x4 stand to slot onto the 2x4 brackets on the sides of the trailers...

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Welcome. I agree with Debi, and look forward to seeing what comes of this.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If it was rugged enough to take offroad I could see some interest. Take it out as a remote basecamp. And also have the capability to pull into a campground for RV's and camp since some places don't have or allow trees to be used with hammocks.

Something like this but geared towards hammocks.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The key for me would be that it is small and light enough to tow with a car or small suv. Yet big enough to put a couple kayaks on.

I have a pop up for the times with the whole family, but it would be nice to just jump into a small suv and get the kayaks out without all the hassle. There are some very nice campgrounds by lakes that aren't as hammock friendly.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    My first thought was a traditional camper with hooks in a wall. But I like your idea. Like you and others have said it may not be cost effective for you and a retro fit kit would be awesome. I have one of those red 4x8 trailers from harbor freight. And it would be cool to set something up on that and still carry my kayaks. And welcome from Chattanooga, my parents live on the other side of warren county in the Lucky area.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    I ride motorcycles, so it would have to be able to haul toys to be viable for me.

Trying to hang a hammock within the confines of a trailer would seem tough though. I know I need a minimum of 13' to hang a hammock.

Another way of looking at it would be building a single support for one end of the hammock (maybe near the tongue) and secure the other end to another fixed object like a tree.

EVAC John, believe it is a good idea for special purposes such as going to the track with your motorcycle, taking your kayaks to the river for the weekend, etc... There would be multiple uses. The hard part would be designing one that fit everyone's special purpose need. Have you thought about offering custom built jobs for those who might be interested? Interactive website? The customer puts it together himself and you build it? Just ideas....

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    Something like this maybe:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Bush.../dp/B002KKBT9Y

But strong enough to hang 2 hammocks from the bars.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast