Double layer idea help (dd frontline)

So I received a dd frontline for Christmas, my first hammock, but pushing 900grams it's rather heavy. It's a double layer channel end designed to slip a mat in between layers but I've made a uq. It also has a mosquito net with a full length zipper on each side which might explain the weight. Taking all that into account I think the nylon fabric weight is around 1.0-1.6 oz/yard.

I want to cut off the bottom layer and make a second channel end hammock and need advice as to whether this is a good idea. I am only 145pounds but 6ft and was wondering if hemming and making the channel end would shorten the hammock too much. Would gathered end be better? Has this been done before? Will the fabric be ok to make a channel end? How will cutting off the second layer affect the hammock. And general
    Pros cons would be immensly appreciated. I suspect the hammock to come out around 300 grams?

On a completedly different note I struggled to get my uq to fit properly and have come to the coclusion that it is too wide? It hangs pretty far above the sides of my hammock and I think this makes tensioning much harder (it is 45 inches wide and rectangular with synchable? Ends)

Any responses would be greatly appreciated

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally have a policy of never altering a working hammock, because tinkering with it could turn it into a non-working hammock. Easier to sell a DD Frontline hammock than sell an altered DD Frontline hammock. The DD is already a relatively short hammock at 2.7 meters and the heaviness is kinda part of the design (poles for bugnet, double layer for pad, can function as a bivy, etc.) I wouldn't try altering it, especially if the goal is to gain fabric for a second hammock while lightening the weight.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts