Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images

Louisiana summer underquilt

I made this with the idea that it will get very little usage here in Louisiana but when it is needed, I will have it. Really, I just wanted to tackle the projects that seem a little out of my current skill level. I started off with a full size bed sheet of ployester batting from WMart. The batting was 2 layers and I was able to seperate the two layers and I just used one layer. measured out the rip stop from the bargin bin at Hancock fabric 48"x78" ($1.18/yrd) Sandwiched the batting between the ripstop and sewed a seam around. Added 2" gross grain around the edges for 1/8th shock cord channels. It is basiclly the plans from DIY Gear supply with added length (I am 6'1"). and I didn't add the pleats. Seems to work good. Total cost around $11.00 I just hope it is cool enough some evening to use it this summer. I know it is not the lightest but I do more car camping than hiking.
    SUQ4.jpgSUQ1.jpgSUQ2.jpgSUQ3.jpgSUQ5.jpg

Good job and good luck with the cool temps this summer.lol I'm in the same boat as I've just made myself an uq.

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana Hangman View Post
    Good job and good luck with the cool temps this summer.lol I'm in the same boat as I've just made myself an uq.
    thanks! Great to see you on the forum! Hopefully I can make the next Louisiana hang and meet some other hangers.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6 Woodland Camo
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    I'm in OK. I've had a couple of nights down to 68 but it's 75 at night now and for the next few months it shouldn't get any lower than that. I have a hard time spending the money on an UQ but I know winter will be here before I know it!

Was thinking about just making a PLUQ for the cooler nights and when Fall gets here but I like this approach too!

Decisions, decisions!?!?!

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bc2020 View Post
    I'm in OK. I've had a couple of nights down to 68 but it's 75 at night now and for the next few months it shouldn't get any lower than that. I have a hard time spending the money on an UQ but I know winter will be here before I know it!

Was thinking about just making a PLUQ for the cooler nights and when Fall gets here but I like this approach too!

Decisions, decisions!?!?!
    Thanks! I was thinking about a PLUQ as well but the only Army surplus in my area only sells new ones. I could get it online but would have to pay shipping and wait etc.. I am not very adapt at determining how "low" this would get me to, but the batting does come in two layers so I could have made it twice as thick for the same money and some additional weight. I do have a reclaimed down comforter that I plan to REALLY step out of my comfort zone with and attempt a down under quilt with baffles. Please post your progress which ever way you decide.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Well, done. I took the lazy way out and ordered AHE's 3/4 Jarbridge in the one-season option. I reckon it will be enough to take the edge off and avoid CBS!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I seriously doubt anyone will need an underquilt during Luzianna summers. I slept in my hammock when it was still down in the 60's at night and didn't use anything but light weight pants(scrubs) and under armour long sleeve. Perhaps a fan blowing on the bottom of the hammock is better :-)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I seriously doubt anyone will need an underquilt during Luzianna summers. I slept in my hammock when it was still down in the 60's at night and didn't use anything but light weight pants(scrubs) and under armour long sleeve. Perhaps a fan blowing on the bottom of the hammock is better :-)
    Edit: If I get a chance to camp this summer, all I'm bringing is my 2QZQ underquilt protector. It is enough to keep warm on cool nights, and its small and light. If you don't have one, get one! Excellent piece of gear.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I just used a piece of fleece and slept on top of it IN my hammock, not as an UQ. It worked down to 65 in the SC upcountry overnight during a thunderstorm. I usually sleep IN it as a sleeping bag liner, but it was warm enough I really didn't need it AND my top quilt.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts