Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    None yet...
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

How should I spend my money??

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you get plenty of these posts, and I've read through a bunch and still have some questions for the experienced out there.

I'm traditionally a within 3 miles of my car camper with a nice, but overly heavy Mountain Hardwear 2 person tent. After taking a few naps in a friends ENO single nest on last years annual trip to the Upper Peninsula, I started thinking that might be the way to go rather than getting a solo tent. With that in mind....I'm a big guy, 6' 2" 275lb. I'm a side sleeper, which is why I'm not a big fan of tent camping with a thin pad. I like to be able to switch sides when I sleep. I don't get cold easily, keep our central air at 64 degrees for reference!

I've been looking at 3 options, and I'm wondering from the expert opinion which is the best use of my limited funds:

Hennessy Explorer Deluxe- Seems like it would get me into a hammock for the least financial headache, but from what I've read not terribly sure if I'll be comfortable in it.

Warbonnet Blackbird XLC- Seems very well designed, but the cost of the "extras" adds up fast. Also, from what I'm reading it's intended to be comfortable sleeping in it on one side and may not be as comfortable if I toss and turn a bit.

Clark NX-250- This hammock made me drool when I very first started looking hammock camping. I balk a little bit at the initial price, but it seems like it pretty much comes with everything I'll ever need? I also like the built in weathershield as the temperatures can change rapidly depending on the whim of the wind off Lake Superior. Also sounds like it has a fairly neutral sleeping position.

Other notes....I'm -not- terribly handy or efficient at things like tying knots (yet), so easy to hang is a big consideration (Warbonnet system seems easy to me). I obviously want to spend the least money possible, so if I could be pretty happy in the Hennessy without sacrificing much over the more expensive options, I'm happy to do so. But, I also want to get the best sleep possible, otherwise I'd just drag my tent along. Also a decent chance that I may have to be willing to let my dog into it as he's used to sleeping in my tent. He's a corgi, so not huge, but he still has dog claws something that won't get destroyed is also good.

If you've got this far, thanks for reading! I'm certainly open to other companies/manufacturers, as well, but these 3 hammocks seemed to fit my size best from research. As long as it fits my fat butt comfortably, easy to hang, and without too much hassle ride out the weather I can be convinced.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    As far as the dog goes get some boots for him... That's my plan

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    I own a HH and love it however it was purchase before I even knew about Clark or Warbonnet. Through my research any hammock can be very easy to set-up with a little modification and some simple research. For example instead of the stock tying with the straps I tied the ropes together and connected with a carabiner to the straps.... much easier now although a gram or two more weight.

With that being said I am really looking into a Warbonnet. Love all the possible features to it. The hennessy is fantastic hammock and will really suit you if you like to change sides and toss.

That brings me to my next point... I like you toss a lot in my bed and when I was a ground dweller in my bag. Since being in the hammock I have tossed a lot less with the proper lay. This is one of the most important things I have learned regardless of brand is getting the right hang and proper lay.

I don't consider my self and expert but here are my 2 cents

Hammock
    Amok Equip.Draumr
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    Sleep Pad
    We are in the same boat size-wise and having just joined the site today I feel reluctant to express my novice opinion, but how else will I learn.
    I own a Hennessy Explore Deluxe and have spent comfortable nights in it, I was quite a bit lighter then. I disliked the bottom entry. I was using a pad and sleeping bag for insulation and getting up in the middle of the night was awkward at best. After spending time on this forum I now see that an under-quilt with split opening would solve this problem. I have also recently found a couple in the business of altering the Hennessy Hammocks to side entry. I may go the route.
    In the mean time I bought that wonderful Clark NX250 you are looking at specifically for the side entry and weather shield. A well made product, but at my size I could not seem to hang the thing so I didn't end up scraping the ground. It also felt very confining in the shoulders.
    I am now, like you, considering the Warbonnet two layer system that seems to have a higher weight rating and straps that do not require and on-site Boy Scout.
    Would anyone care to comment on the hanging for the heavies.
    I apologize for not knowing the lingo an abbreviations yet.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dr. Bob

Images
    Hi Welcome to the forum.
    At your height and weight I would not go smaller than an 11'x60" hammock in a 1.9 single or 1.7 double layer.
    Most hammocks with integrated bug nets are feet left or right which usually means you can lay best on one side only and your back of course. Not saying you can't lay on the other side you just have a large wall of fabric in your face.

I would take a look at the Wilderness Logic Owl with their seperate bug net.
    Don't forget you are going to need quilts and a tarp to complete your hammock camping rig.
    Since you stated you don't mind sleeping cool I would also checkout the WL summer quilt set.
    There's a good chance they would cover 3 full season for you. And my third recommendation is
    the Warbonnet Superfly Tarp.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 06-24-2014 at 01:21.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm about as tall as you (I think - 186 cm). I had the regular WBBB, and got the XLC. I can sleep on both sides (well, sort of leaning on the sides), and move around a bit - at least before falling asleep (what happens after I have no idea about ). I got it without the top cover, only the bugnet, which made it slightly cheaper. I haven't tried the clark, but I have a hard time imagining a much better sleep than I get in the XLC.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    my friends have hennessy hammocks. they love them, but when I got in one I got that shoulder squeeze happening. I am 6' 230lbs. I went to eno dbl nest with the bug net. it will give shoulder squeeze unless you use a bad... not the best for side-sleeping but it was the only thing in town to try while I researched hammocks. I ended up with a TTTG switchback double layer and DreamHammock Thunderbird 1.9 dbl. That is my Winter hammock now. for backbacking in summer is DH Darien 1.8. (I also have 4 tents, 4 pads, 5 sleeping bags, 2 UQ(winter/summer) and 2 TQ, again seasonal) I side sleep 80% of the time in my dreamhammocks. love them! the way I see it is research the options(size mostly, customer service comes next etc). with something you plan on sleeping with whenever you go camping, short backpacking etc, it is sometimes worth a good bed. keep in mind as mentioned tarp, insulation of some type(quilts or sleeping bags) the price will add up.
    my priority in my gear junky issue is simple.
    1. comfy bed first(hammock)
    2. tarp (the longer length hammock need longer tarp, so tarp comes next (I have 4 go figure all different sizes))
    3 insulation came last because I had lots to choose from. sleeping bags and pads. eventually I went to top quilts and under quilts, they are lighter and pack smaller)
    suspension for hammock go with a strap/cinch buckle. easiest but not lightest, for tarp without knots...you might need learn the larks head and slippery half-hitch. that's it. get dutch bling, figure 9 or some other aid.
    research and don't be afraid to buy one you are unsure of. see who has hammocks in your area to "try on" before you buy.
    sorry for the early morning ramble, it is my 1 year hanging anniversary this month. sentimental to my research work and hammocks

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I am a big guy at 260 and have a Hennessy Explorer deluxe and a Dream Hammock Dangerbird.
    The Dangerbird is a 132 x 11' 1.9/1.1 hammock and the HHED is a 10' hammock. I like both of them for different reasons, but the Dangerbird is my go to for comfort. I really think the 1.9/1.1 holds me just right with the right amount of stretch for comfort and the extra ft in length allows my right leg to lay flatter without the need to prop it up.

I looked at the XLC and still may get one one day for the footbox, but I liked how you can configure the dream hammock and colors the way you wanted, I may also look at the Thunderbird to be able to remove the tops when necessary. They both are not cheap and priced about the same, but I do think you get what you are paying for in the quality and value for all the vendors.

When in a regular bed, sleepcomfort, hotel, whatever, I toss and turn like mad. In a hammock, I sleep through the night without waking up at all.

If it helps, Randy over at dream hammock has the comfort scale that I think is a valuable tool.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Also, last night I put my Klymit Static V pad in the double layer hammock and it worked great. I have underquilts but I thought I'd try out the pad just to see how well the V would work, and it did a great job. Didn't move. So if you are transitioning from a tent, you can use some of the same items and make it more cost effective of a transition.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I love my Hennessy. I wondered how it would work, with me being a side-sleeper, but I slept like a log from my first night (except for the deer that was snorting at my unexpected intrusion in the middle of the night and the woodpecker that was feasting from my tree in the morning).

I consider the big pro and con to Hennessy to be the amount of special made accessories. I now have the super shelter with the overcover, and it's been great, but, because all of my gear is made for my hammock, if I ever want to try a different hammock, I'm starting from scratch. It's not like my Supershelter stuff or my stock tarp will easily transfer to a Blackbird, for example. That would annoy me more if I didn't enjoy the hammock so much. When I started into hammock camping, I was on a tight budget and still uncertain if it would work out for me, so being able to start out with Hennessy was great, and if that's your situation, I recommend them. But if were starting over, now, I might go piecemeal, picking the tarp, hammock, and insulation that suited me best so that switching out one piece wouldn't mean switching out everything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast