Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    My significant other has been sewing for a long time and has a fancy Bernina machine. She takes it in for service professionally from time to time and says that it's usually more that just pulling out the junk that accumulates inside...but, what do I know.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    I'm getting a crash course in this stuff. The Singer 640 T&S that bhancock so kindly gave me screeched to a halt when one of the storied nylon gears on it gave out. (they apparently fail after about 40 years, and the machine is '69 vintage). So I ordered some replacement gears and am in the middle of replacing them all. I'll be over 100 when they fail again, so I figure it won't be my problem.

In the meantime, I got a deal on a bunch of presser feet, bobbins & stuff on Craigs List, and the seller included an old Singer 758 T&S she'd had since HS but that had been sitting in her garage for the last few years. There are some common parts between the two machines, including the bobbin setup, so I figured it'd be worthwhile to get.

Turns out I was able to salvage gears from the 640 to replace two failed ones on the 758. Retimed the ignition... er, bobbin hook / needle timing and, after some cleaning and oiling, actually got the 758 to run. Bobbin case is funky, though, so I haven't tried any stitching yet. The bottom feet are gone, too.

Back to the 640, it looks like someone had tried replacing gears on it before it came into bhancock's possession. The gear that failed appears to have been the only one that wasn't replaced, so the ones I moved to the 758 will probably hold up for a while. Still scratching my head (and shopping for a roll pin punch) on that stubborn gear in the 640. May have to drill it out.

Anyway, as long as you stay away from the electronics-based machines I'd think anyone who makes hammock gear has a mindset that can handle sewing machines. And if you've ever worked on cars, I don't think this is much harder. Like cars, though, it sure helps if you can get the repair manual and the right tools. Just have to think twice (or more!)before doing anything. It's really easy to overlook something important.

That said, I wouldn't do anything more than cleaning and oiling on an expensive machine. I figure if you're gonna lay out the cash for an expensive one you'd better factor in the total cost of owning it -- which includes paying for proper maintenance.

$0.02
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Great thread. Great advice too.

This is my machine $15 at a garage sale. opened it up, cleaned it and oiled it, wouldn't trade for anything else. Does straight and zigzag only and the movement is smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Wow, I am amazed at the quality and quantity of advice! Thanks! Its going to take me a while to digest all this info, but I really appreciate it! By the way JT, that was an excellent deal on your sewing machine, I was looking for a deal like that, but even used machines were pretty pricy around here. It wasnt much more to get an new one! Good find!
    Last edited by stevebo; 07-16-2009 at 13:23.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    My "gear" machine is a PFAFF; had it for about 20 years now. It's computer-ized too!! When my daughter was little, I used to make her all those little frilly dresses and used every single one of those fancy stiches (like over 200 diff ones) Now a days I'm sewing uq and top quilts and hiking skirts (you guys call them kilts). The fancyist stich I use these days is a zig-zag!! That being said, in all the years I've owned this machine, I've never had it to a pro to be cleaned or anything. I change needles all the time, even if I think what's in the machine is ok. (silnylon is very hard on needles, it makes them dull). I oil every time I use the machine and I always try to get as much lint out as I can too. I do remember when I bought this machine that I was told "if a computer-ized sewing machine does NOT turn on, then you've got problems" and to keep it clean & oiled. I paid a pretty penny for this machine but averaged out over 20 years, not so much. There's still nothing on the market today (yet) that I'd trade this ol work horse for. If you've got a good working machine, keep it oiled, keep it clean, use good thread (same thread in the bobbin as the top thread), use a needle rated for the materal you're sewing and change it out when you finish each project. Dont try to over pull your material through as you sew, this can cause bad things to happen (like a broke needle). If your machine will only sew 4 layers of material, don't try to force 6, again bad things will happen. Before starting on a new project, use a piece of scrap to see how your machine is sewing (pulling bad threads out of silnylon is not fun). Sometimes the older used machine on sale really is a better deal than the new one that's about the same price. Compair them to each other and make sure the new one can handle everything you might wish for.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Anyone know a good place to get a decent table? I hesitate to call it a sewing machine table, but I guess I'll have to forgo my ego long enough to use the word.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Sewing tables,(or shall we call them "work benches") are sometimes found on craigs list pretty cheap. Keep your eyes open for garage sales etc.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I know people who use their dining room table for the work bench. Most of them live alone. Don't try this at home.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCreative View Post
    Anyone know a good place to get a decent table? I hesitate to call it a sewing machine table, but I guess I'll have to forgo my ego long enough to use the word.
    I built one. Woodworking and furniture building is another hobby. I was going to build a fancy swinging door, adjustable lift, with all the fancies you see in the storebought ones, then I remembered I was a man sooo...

I built a top out of melanine, precisely cut out an opening for the top of the machine to sit flush with the table top. Slapped some 2x4 legs and frame on it and let it go. One thing I added, which was pure genious was extra space to the right of the machine, in which I cut another hole and flushmounted a $1 6x9x2"deep WM plastic tray in with a little epoxy. Everything is stored below the table top. I keep my "notions" in that like needles, xtra bobbins, pins, lighter/candle, scissors, etc. Oh yeah, still a man, I mean tools, knives, razors, and handgun.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    I built one. Woodworking and furniture building is another hobby. I was going to build a fancy swinging door, adjustable lift, with all the fancies you see in the storebought ones, then I remembered I was a man sooo...
    Yeah, you got it!!!

... I keep my "notions" in that like needles, xtra bobbins, pins, lighter/candle, scissors, etc. Oh yeah, still a man, I mean tools, knives, razors, and handgun.
    The handgun I keep with my tools shoots hot glue...

Great idea about that cutout for the tray, too.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast