Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Quilts - rayway, UL 180

I am looking at purchasing several over quilts for customers to use on our new and upcoming guided hammockpacking trips we will be offering.

I was looking at the UL 60, 90, and 180 Quilt's, which look pretty nice.

My other thought is to make some rayway quilts. My only concern is time, and sewing skills.

Does anyone know if the rayway quilt kits come pre-cut to the proper length. If they just need to be sewn, I think I can handle making several. However, if they have to be cut to the proper patterns and stuff it may take too long.

Any other low cost, high quality suggestions are appreciated. Unfortunately Kickass quilts are not really suited with a foot-pockets for use as an OQ. Unless you're interested in making a few for me John....
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    The RayWay quilt kit I got about 3 or 4 years ago was not pre-cut. It allowed you to tailor the quilt to your size and shape, add the gorget or not, etc. On the flip side, if you are making several, you might be able to cut all the fabric and insulation in one cutting session and save time.

Hi to Kiwi!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    I just put together my ray-way a couple of weeks ago. It's low cost is what drew me to it. It doesn't come pre-cut. It's designed so you customize it to your size and style. If you are concerned about your sewing abilities, do not get it. I'm a novice when it comes to sewing. I've done stuff sacks, hammocks, tarps, and Speer SPEs with no problems. But that quilt kicked my butt!

I got it put together but next time I need something like that, I'm either paying my little sister to sew it for me or I'm ordering it already manufactured. I've been eyeballing the BPL UL quilts for really cold weather. That's where I'd go. Or for something cheaper you might want to look at Fanatic Fringe. He uses synthetic like Ray-way so it's cheaper than down.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Images
    I returned my UL180 quilt. I just couldn't justify that amount of money for such a thin amount of Polargard, plus it was pretty narrow and I am not ( 6'1", 210). But maybe if I could get it on a big sale. I MUCH prefer my Golite Ultra 20.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Thanks, for all the great info. I like the Ultralight 30 Deg Quilt, but it's pretty heavy. I guess that's the price you pay for lower cost. 3D is pretty warm, and works great when wet.

The golite is a little expensive for now, and made of down. If I was going with down I think I would go with a JRB. Although it looks like a totally awesome piece of gear to add to my collection.

I think I'll end up going with the Ultralight 30 Deg Quilt. Seems like the best bang for the buck.

Kiwi says HI back!!!!
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    The Ray Way with alpine upgrade will get you into the twenties. I have one and can't use it in my hammock unless it's colder than cold. Too much insulation - I made it for ground use and then stopped sleeping on the ground.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    The Ray Way with alpine upgrade will get you into the twenties. I have one and can't use it in my hammock unless it's colder than cold. Too much insulation - I made it for ground use and then stopped sleeping on the ground.
    Yea, that might be too warm. I'm only planning on doing 3 seasons right now. Maybe in a couple years we can go to 4. The only thing that's holding me back from the rayway's having to sew them....lol

The UL180's in Long are all sold out. I was debating if I on going with the Reg's. Not sure how tall of a person could use the Reg size.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    hacktorious,

Sounds like you might be a candidate for your ouwn group buy.... You can always contact JRB for a goup buy rate...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts