Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I'm happily hanging my 170lbs' in a 1.1oz single layer. I'm hanging in a HH Clone and I've pulled the center out about 1.5" on each side to account for a little stretch after several hours of hanging.

I'm not saying that everyone should go out and try this, but if you are looking for the true ultralight, sometimes pushing the boundary a little is worth it. Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    As long as I'm at it, is the polypro web at owf good for hammock suspension? They say it isn't for climbing, etc, but I'm guessing that's more for liability reasons. It'd be nice to be able to get theirs so I only have to pay shipping once.
    I remember reading somewhere (I think it was a post by cannibal) that it was used with success, but showed significant wear after a short period of time vs. strapworks webbing put to six months daily use.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    They don't use polypro for climbing for 2 reasons, the first is that it is more static and you need to have a little stretch for climbing so that the rope/webbing whatever you are using can absorb a fall instead of your body. The second reason is because it is more brittle and breaks down easily. The best webbing I have seen was spectra or dyneema, they are expensive. I would go with polyester or a polyester/nylon webbing.

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    just a note seeing JT's setup. THAT looks like a kleenex(tm) to me. Wow. Can the mosquitoes bite through that?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    I remember reading somewhere (I think it was a post by cannibal) that it was used with success, but showed significant wear after a short period of time vs. strapworks webbing put to six months daily use.
    Sort of.

I am seeing some significant wear on the woodland camo webbing from OWF. However, it is not polypro, it is the polyester. The Strapworks stuff is definitely more wear resistant, but the price is extra weight. Still, if I was leaving for a long (month +) hike I'd probably carry the Strapworks webbing.

I do very much like the new webbing Warbonnet is using. Don't have enough time with it to comment, but it seems a nice balance between Strapworks and OWF. More to come later.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Permethrin is a wonderful thing Knighthorse. I do plan to add a bug-net soon. Likely attached on one side and I'll use my shoes as weights on the other. No zippers or velcro, weighs too much. I'm thinking about pockets out of no-see-um to slip my shoes and other odds and ends into.
    Currently the entire hammock minus the webbing is under 8oz. I don't have an official weight yet. I also use Buntline Hitches and Bowlines instead of rings or biners. Figure I'd have to tie off to them somehow anyway, might as well skip that whole process. I use a spare piece of Amsteel to help me get my tension up while I tie my actual suspension.

On another note. I hung my hammock very close to the ground the first time. Since then I have grown to trust it more. I'll have to have my wife take pictures of me in it.
    Last edited by Topplestack; 07-17-2009 at 01:11.

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    yup, the permethrin is good stuff. Found out that is one of the "mane" ingredients in certain bug-repellent sprays for horses. (I have horses of course) Some for the horse, hose down the hammock, didn't need to buy anything more.
    Fun to watch the mosquitoes get upset, weaken, and fall down. (ok, so thats a little sadistic, but the diseases they carry aren't exactly nice.)
    It did put a stop to a little "game" though. Before the repellent, I'd lie in the hammock, and watch the mossies land, and poke the netting. Move my hand up nice and quiet like, and flick the mossie and enjoy the little "tink" sound as it bounced off the underside of my tarp. Ok. Maybe I am a bit sadistic.
    I think anything would look "thin" to me now that I've made my indoor/bed hammock double layer. Its "Sir Ester of Poly" of course (remnant) upholstery material and on the seriously heavy side. No way is this a "packing" model.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12