Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Assessment of approach, equipment recommendation

I have not tried sleeping in a hammock for decades but, in light of some recent research and reasoning, have decided I want to try it out anew. One of my hopes is that I will be able to use a hammock during some bicycle touring I plan to do in the coming years. I even wonder whether I might not end up using a hammock in the home, in place of my current bed. But for now I'm trying to determine, given my almost complete lack of recent experience, where to begin.

After a fair amount of reading and thinking, I've come up with the following plan of action. I want to buy a really inexpensive, no-frills hammock that I can set up in and possibly outside my home so as to begin to get a handle on how they're constructed and set up, as well as this affording me an opprotunity for testing out their sleepability. Both the wife and I can try taking some naps in the hammock, testing whether it seems we can both acclimate to it--perhaps later even spending a whole night or more in the hammock. Should that initial testing prove successful, I would then begin looking into getting a much better camping hammock system.

So, to begin, does that seem to more experienced hammockers here a good way to start? I think the validity of the test might be largely dependent on getting a good "test bed" hammock--one that is both adequately affordable and acceptably comfortable--which may prove a tricky balance between economy and comfort.

If it seems my approach is sound, then I'd like to request recommendations for an economical test-hammock. I've found on Amazon, for example, the Yes4All Ultra Light Hammock (http://www.amazon.com/Green-Ultra-Li...ywords=hammock) for less than $20. Would something like that provide an adequate example of what hammock sleeping, construction, and set-up might be like? $20 seems a good price point for this initial testing of hammock-sleeping's viability: can I expect to get a hammock for around that amount that will give me a real feel for what hammock construction, set up, and sleeping are really like?

Your input will be appreciated.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I try to avoid Amazon like the plaque. I find many of their business practices offensive. Having said that as an open for the purposes of full disclosure, I believe you would be better off spending more for what I believe could be a better product. Grand Trunk, treklight and a few others make a very solid product which has stood the test of time and have a good following on the forums. I've seen similar prices for sales and through authorized resellers. $40 seems a doable price point for the companies I named. I don't know anything about Yes4all as a manufacturer but there have been a plethora of companies jumping on the hammock bandwagon recently. There is a list of vendors in the vendors forums which could guide you in the choice. These are companies which taken the time and made the effort to become know by the members here. While your original plan sounds reasonable, I would be concerned that you will need to replace that Amazon hammock in a relatively short while, while other hammocks will make the transition from experiment to use seamlessly. Just my own opinion and worth every penny you have paid for it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Your approach to tread lightly is a good one. Many of us do exactly that at first.

I agree with the Rev, above.

Are you or the wife capable of some easy sewing (straight stitching a folded hem)? I'd highly recommend making your own out of rip stop (possible from a local fabric store, use a coupon) or out of the tablecloth taffeta that is often spoken of here. Not only would you probably save a few dollars but you'd get a good feel of hammock construction, while also giving yourself a bigger hammock.

The specs of that Amazon hammock make me nervous: under 10' and less than 5' wide. I'd say the average hammock here is 10-11' long, with a width of 5' or so. My wife and I are small, short folks but prefer the lay of an 11'x5' hammock.

If you have the patience to tolerate a bit more research, poke around the forums for DIY (ript stop or tablecloth) or alternate choices for budget hammocks. The one you linked to may be OK to get a feel for hammocks when comparing it to others...but because of its dimensions, I fear that it would be a poor choice for your current intentions.
    Last edited by AaronMB; 06-26-2014 at 12:41. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That hammock is a little short for overnight sleeping in my opinion, but it can work. Your height will definitely be a factor as well. I'm 6'1". That said, I have slept in hammocks that size with few issues, but it wasn't as comfortable as I sleep now.

If you aren't sure that you want to sleep in hammocks, then starting with inexpensive gear makes sense. But that could also mean a little Do it Yourself (DiY) tablecloth hammock will fit your purposes and likely be more comfortable than the one you linked

I strongly suggest you watch Shug's series on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZV...752777861C2AA8 ) and/or read The Ultimate Hang by Derek Hansen ( http://theultimatehang.com/ or http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hang-...+ultimate+hang ) to make sure you are aware of the other considerations that come with sleeping in a hammock (like under insulation, something needed even inside)

Here is a video from Derek Hansen on how to make a hammock in 3 minutes:

Thanks for the informative answers to my post thus far. To offer a couple of answers, I am the more accomplished seamster in our family and have considered making my own hammock: I'll be looking at that video and considering that option. I just thought, as an initial foray, it might be better to get a manufactured one so as to get a better grasp on how they're typically constructed. As to height, I'd wondered whether that might not be an issue. I'm on the tall side, at a little over 6' 4" (ca. 195 lbs weight). So maybe those cheaper ones I've looked at--one of which was from Grand Trunk--might not be good for experimentation purposes. They all seemed to be just short of 11 feet long and under 5' wide.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by wayover13 View Post
    Thanks for the informative answers to my post thus far. To offer a couple of answers, I am the more accomplished seamster in our family and have considered making my own hammock: I'll be looking at that video and considering that option. I just thought, as an initial foray, it might be better to get a manufactured one so as to get a better grasp on how they're typically constructed. As to height, I'd wondered whether that might not be an issue. I'm on the tall side, at a little over 6' 4" (ca. 195 lbs weight). So maybe those cheaper ones I've looked at--one of which was from Grand Trunk--might not be good for experimentation purposes. They all seemed to be just short of 11 feet long and under 5' wide.
    Since you aren't afraid of a sewing machine, here is my step-by step suggestions:

Materials list:
    Total cost: $30+S&H
    Note on materials: If you make your own whoopie slings then you could save just under $10 (as the general suggestion is to make them out of 25' of amsteel which will cost you ~$5.50). If you also get or make continuous loops you can get a little more utility and options and it is how most manufactured ones come, but it is not necessary if you just want to try a hammock and many don't use continuous loops.

Steps:
    1. Sew a 1.5" channel on each of the short ends of the tablecloth. Triple-stitch this channel (double should work in theory, I like some over-engineering)
    2. Hold the adjustable (big loop) portion of 1 whoopie sling on a post or your big toe
    3. Feed the channel over the small (fixed eye) portion of the whoopie sling until the sling is coming out of both ends of the channel
    4. take the adjustable loop and thread it through the fixed loop, gathering the hammock material in a tight bunch as you do so.
    5. tug firmly to "set" the larks head you have just created so it doesn't come undone easily
    6. Repeat steps 2-5 for the other side.

If you want to hang inside, you can just look the adjustable eye onto an eye hook. But I would suggest adding some polyester webbing, at least 1" in width. The Harbor freight ratchet strap work, you can get some from Dutch where I linked you to the whoopie slings. Find something laying around your house that is cylindrical and sturdy to use as toggles like in Shug's videos.

You will then have a set-up that will work wherever you go, will be comfortable (as long as you set it up correctly), and will last you a long while. Gathered end Hammocks are inherently a very simple design and if you are a simple man then that tablecloth may be all you ever need. Though you may choose to put other modifications like the stretch side mod to eliminate the flappy fabric, or a structural ridgeline so you don't have to worry about getting the perfect set up every time, Or you may decide you need a bugnet when it comes time to sleep outside at night; the expensive hammocks integrate these options, but they can all be done at home with relative ease.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    6'4" in a 9'6" hammock don't compute. By the time you take into account the sag you are left with nothing to lie in. I have never made a tablecloth hammock but by all accounts they are more than adequate. There are so many tutorials of one sort or another here you should have no problem making one. Here's the basic pattern... a rectangular piece of fabric normally hemmed all around. Anything beyond that is window dressing. Other than size, how you gather it is the main decision you will face. Loads of suggestions along with pros and cons in the DIY forums.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    At 6'4" I wouldn't even consider this hammock - too short. It's a Chinese knockoff of a knockoff of a knockoff, apparently. I wish tablecloth hammocks were around when I was a noob. For $11.99 or less, you buy the tablecloth, sew channels in the end (or not; some whip the ends), larkshead a continuous loop through the channel and you're ready to hang.

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm

I own five tablecloth hammocks, and the polyester crinkle taffeta is a no-stretch fabric that gives me a great night's sleep. A lot of forum members use tablecloth hammocks so there's tons of info here. You're probably gonna find nothing on the Yes4All hammock. I've never heard of them.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    At 6'4" I wouldn't even consider this hammock - too short. It's a Chinese knockoff of a knockoff of a knockoff, apparently. I wish tablecloth hammocks were around when I was a noob. For $11.99 or less, you buy the tablecloth, sew channels in the end (or not; some whip the ends), larkshead a continuous loop through the channel and you're ready to hang.

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm

I own five tablecloth hammocks, and the polyester crinkle taffeta is a no-stretch fabric that gives me a great night's sleep. A lot of forum members use tablecloth hammocks so there's tons of info here. You're probably gonna find nothing on the Yes4All hammock. I've never heard of them.
    How's the weight on these DIY ?
    are they more for home /car camping use?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I would also recommend that you attend a group hang in your area. There you will be able to check out lots of different hammock setups. If you ask the owners of said hammocks, most of them would be willing to let you get in it and check it out. If they know you are coming and are interested in a certain hammock, someone may have a spare they can let you borrow at the hang. I always take extra hammocks and gear for other to try and or borrow at group hangs.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast