WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap

Dont laugh- what do pads do?

Done laughing? Im new here, but definitely not a noob to hammocks. Have the same Hennesey I bought say... 10 yrs ago? Love it. Got hooked with a Mayan, got a ENO too. (Yes there are some things I think I need to change as far as gear or bags and Im finding them here!). I generally sleep what seems like the "old way" to you guys... Sleeping bag alone in the hammock. I was a long time backpacker before that and tent camped with thermarests. So I know what the pads do in that case... My sleeping bag from REI has two lofts- one side thicker for warmth, and a thinner side for warmer weather. So far, my back is comfortable and only once did it get cold enough that I added a space blanket under my bag (inside the hammock) and I was sweating. My initial impression is that the pad will just add bulk and make it uncomfortable? if its to help keep you warm, then wouldn't an uq do it? (be nice, Im just learning about all the cool stuff I could get for my hammock camping on my motorcycle!)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    My initial impression is that the pad will just add bulk and make it uncomfortable? if its to help keep you warm, then wouldn't an uq do it? (be nice, Im just learning about all the cool stuff I could get for my hammock camping on my motorcycle!)
    Pads are indeed for warmth, not comfort.

Yes, underquilts work just fine, but they also cost more $. Pads are just another option to mix/match.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Pads also do a marvelous job of making you sweat. UQs are a much better choice IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    If you are doing a very long hike in very high elevations and think there is a possibility of not being able to hang, a pad is a versatile thing - add to the underquilt for extra warmth, or pitch the tarp on the ground and sleep on the pad.

Most of the time I take two quilts and call it good.

I don't experience warm nights on the trail anymore and I love it!!!

My warmest night in a hammock was 56° and I need underinsulation for that. My 7oz pad, with the rest of my sleep system works for me into the mid-20s. But some other system, boosting up bags and sleepwear and such, could probably do away with underinsulation.

But the weight, bulk, and cost might be changed as well.

FB

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    ok, you've got the ther-ma-rest. Test it out!! Go hang up your hammock in the backyard (or a near by park), put the ther-ma-rest inside it, add your sleeping bag and hop in. It should be quite comfy!! You may need to let out a little air, the pads don't need to be as firm as when you're laying on the ground. Now if you can keep it under you, you'll be fine. You'll have to figure out how to get around that bottom opening in your hennesey. When the weather turns cold, you'll need something to keep the sides warm (where the pad doesn't reach up to, like your shoulders) So what do pads do??... They're your bottom insulation.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Pads also do a marvelous job of making you sweat. UQs are a much better choice IMO.
    The sweating problem depends on the person - some do and some don't. The pads are cheap enough that if the person is a non-sweater, then they can stay with the pads and be comfortable for a LOT less money. If they are a sweater, then they haven't spent a LOT of money to find out.

To me, giving one size fits all advice to a newbie isn't the best thing to do.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    The sweating problem depends on the person - some do and some don't. The pads are cheap enough that if the person is a non-sweater, then they can stay with the pads and be comfortable for a LOT less money. If they are a sweater, then they haven't spent a LOT of money to find out.

To me, giving one size fits all advice to a newbie isn't the best thing to do.
    Good point. I was being a bit of a smart-butt. My apologies.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    ok, you've got the ther-ma-rest. Test it out!! Go hang up your hammock in the backyard (or a near by park), put the ther-ma-rest inside it, add your sleeping bag and hop in. It should be quite comfy!! You may need to let out a little air, the pads don't need to be as firm as when you're laying on the ground. Now if you can keep it under you, you'll be fine. You'll have to figure out how to get around that bottom opening in your hennesey. When the weather turns cold, you'll need something to keep the sides warm (where the pad doesn't reach up to, like your shoulders) So what do pads do??... They're your bottom insulation.
    i agree with the try it out in a park. If yur backyard is like mine, the house, fence and other structures may give you a false feeling of warmth. I have slept very warm in my "sheltered" backyard, but had cold spots when hanging in the wild.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Harp63 - Do you only hang in summer? It's very unusual for someone not to get cold w/o some type of insulation below them (pad in hammock or underquilt below). I hear 70 degrees offered as the temp below which some insulation is needed. Seems to agree with my experience.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast