Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    None yet...
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Final Dangerbird order questions....

Howdy everyone,

After getting some good advice from the general forum and my own follow up research...I think a Dangerbird is the right starter hammock for me....it doesn't hurt that they're made in Ohio! I'd like to get a order in tomorrow so I could hopefully have it in time for my late summer/early fall camping journeys. I'm pretty set on a 11' double layer, with cinch buckles (These -seem- easiest to use for a someone new to this, am I correct). What I'm less sure of fabric choices....I'm not terribly worried about weight as most of trips will be relatively short distance and leisurely. I'm a big guy 6'2" 275lb and may have a occasional 25lb canine companion. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking about a polyester inside as I like the idea of the moisture wicking properties, and a lighterweight nylon outside layer. Does this make sense....or do I have this conceptually backwards? I'm quite open to suggestions, but I'm comfort first, weight second. Any other ideas I should be considering before putting this in?

Hammock
    D.L. Dangerbird
    Tarp
    W.L. Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Good luck, just got mine…you're making a great decision.
    I would start by checking out this link.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/HammockCalculator.html

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    None yet...
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Extra question...when I look at the fabrics available, most of them would only make a ~60" hammock, but I keep reading about much larger versions (72") being available at some point?

Hammock
    Dangerbird 68" Dig. Camo.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the 1.0 ACU 68" digital camo fabric. I am very happy with it. I would seriously consider it. Attached is an image of my hammock before my recent upgrades. Read a thread that I just posted today about my Dangerbird. I would consider adding the overcover vent and storage pocket. I also like the ridgeline organizer as well. I had not noticed your weight requirements. Randy might be able to suggest a fabric that could be used along with the ACU that could bump up the weight load capabilities since you are getting a double layer hammock. An inner layer fabric that has greater weight load capabilities maybe. I do like the 68" width for sure and I do like the feel of the fabric on the inner layer. I don't think that the 72" is available any longer though.

Dangerbird68_1 (1280x853).jpg
    Last edited by ralexander9646; 06-26-2014 at 22:17.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompompaihn View Post
    Extra question...when I look at the fabrics available, most of them would only make a ~60" hammock, but I keep reading about much larger versions (72") being available at some point?
    Currently we don't have any fabrics in stock wide enough to build a 72" wide hammock. We do however, still build quite a few of the 2.6oz Poly Crinkle Taffeta hammocks. I don't have this listed with the other fabrics at the moment, but heres a direct link.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/2_6Poly...etaColors.html

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ CUSTOM HANGER
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    DUTCH CB/CUSTOM
    Mine is a 2.7 outside with a 1.1 nylon interior , it is extremely comfortable and feels stable without a lot of stretch just perfect. I am 217lbs 5'11 with no real flab on me lol. I would step up on the fabric weight unless you like a lot of stretch, had 1.1 double in my blackbird and it felt like I always had to be careful in it. You are making a good first choice I had a few others under my belt until I found the DangerBird. The 62" width of the fabric makes a ton of room on the inside, very forgiving on the hang to find a nice sweet spot also.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    None yet...
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    What widths are available with the crinkle taffeta? As a Detroit sports fan, I would love to have something in Orange/Blue (Tigers) or Blue/Gray (Lions) in whatever fabric combo would give me the most comfort. I'm just eager to order!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    None yet...
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    $300 later....threw in a 1.8 Royal Blue exterior and 1.8 Black interior Dangerbird order! 3 cheers for being impatient!

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    well worth the donation to your comfort. I love my hammocks from dream hammock. I have my thunderbird 1.9 dbl ACU, which I use for colder weather. super comfy and I love it. for backpacking I wanted a bit lighter so I went to the single layer darien 1.8 a-tac au. also a treasure. (I am 6' 230lbs and crazy space in mine. just asked him to go as wide as possible with materials. they are wide.)
    Papasmurf, the fabric page has changed weights on my materials. New suppliers?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    Papasmurf, the fabric page has changed weights on my materials. New suppliers?
    Yea, the 40d ACU is all sold out and I haven't found any more exactly like this. Scott @ DIYGS has 55yds left that we might be able to get if we hurry.
    I replaced this fabric with a 70d ACU nylon ripstop that looks pretty good, but the width on this fabric is narrower @ 61"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast