Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Pad/Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

SBPro Suspension

Hey all, first time post, month long lurker.

I recently purchased a SBPro after considering weight limit, cost, and comfort (in that order). I sloppily hung it between two 4x4 fence posts on the corner of the back yard this weekend just to get an idea on how easy the setup was.

After setting it up, I had a couple realizations:

1. The two "10' pre-knotted straps for each end" are actually doubled over so they're realistically only 5' long each, which seems too short.

2. I like the ease of the pre-knotted straps for setup, and I realize there are many other easy options, but I worry they will come at the expense of more/heavier parts, but I also worry that the knots won't be flexible enough for getting the sag just right.

I looked at the possibility of just buying the Tree Sling kit from Travel Hammock's site, which is basically what I thought I was getting in the first place, 10' of strap on each side of the hammock, but I thought I would look for some other options first if I'm planning on spending some money for new suspension anyways. One of the concerns I have with buying new suspension is weight limit. I'm 6'4" and 305lbs, so I may be limited in some of my choices, but I'm not really sure since I don't see too many weight limit specs on straps, just hammocks.

Do most people end up replacing the suspension on the SBPro for the reasons I've listed, or does it work better than I imagine it? What is the most common replacement?

If tarp choice plays any role in your answer, I don't have one yet. I was really looking into the Diamond Rain Fly from Mosquitohammock.com until I realized the 10x13 measurment was a bit misleading and it's really just an 8x8 in disguise. Now I'm leaning more towards the Kelty Noah's 9 tarp which is either a 9x9 or 10'3"x10'3" (conflicting specs on Rei and Campmor with most saying 9x9 -likely- but some reviews saying "actually a 10'3""). I am pretty sure I want to go with a diamond configuration due to only needing 2 stakes, and pretty sure I can get away with the rain coverage, even if FL hurricanes are approaching. Cost is probably the biggest issue, followed by wanting to stay in the 1.5lb range as far as tarps go.

Anyone kind enough to address some of these concerns with some of their suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Welcome to HF Birkin--
    Head over to the HF video gallery and have a look at the ones I recently did on hammock suspensions, for folks Just Like You.

The hammocks I'm tinkering with have exactly the same kind of channel end as does the SBPro.

Grizz

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Pad/Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I just watched Part 1 and 2 before I typed this up. They were amazingly helpful, thank you so much! They answered many questions I had, and were super informative. Your videos were why I was considering possibly swapping out the factory default setup rather than just buying the extra long kit.

I guess to be more specific, am I right to assume 5' of strap on each side is insufficient? Is 10' on each end sufficient? And is it common for SBPro suspension to be swapped out?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    5' can indeed be very limiting, especially when hanging from larger trees. 10-12' is typical.

Yes, it's very common for suspensions to be changed out on almost every hammock style, but the end-channel type in particular.

Welcome to the forum!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Make sure you use poly staps, the 1st ones I used, on my SBPro, were some nylon ones that slowly stretched so ended up on the ground. I ripped the bug net in 3 places in the first week, so becarful with it. If I could do it over again I would have use shock cord as the ridge line instead of para cord to add a little more give to the netting.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Pad/Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the info all!

Beast, I was looking at imitating Grizz's video somewhat. He showed some 1" heavy polypropylene webbing that looks like it will work really well. Thanks for the tip!

I think I'm going to go with a cord suspension for weight savings. 6' polypropylene to wrap around the tree on each end, using a merlinspike hitch with a spare aluminum stake as an anchor. Then 8' of cord on each end of the hammock. This is where I've run into a wall.

Instead of using double merlinspike hitches at each end, I think I want to bowline loop the end of the 8' cords (tree end) and just attach those to the merlinspike hitch on the webbing. Then I thought about putting SMC rings on the hammock end for the ease of adjustment under the tarp.

Something like

Tree -> Web -> Merlinspike -> Cord -> SMC Ring -> Hammock ->SMC Ring -> Cord -> Merlinspike -> Web -> Tree

Does that make sense? This would mean I dont have to make adjustments at the tree by readjusting the cord merlinspike hitch, but instead use the SMC Rings to make the adjustments. Grizz was saying in his video that the Amsteel Blue cord doesnt work well in Garda hitches though, as the cord gets smashed. What cord should I be using? I believe Grizz mentioned some sort of "spider" line when he was showing the 3 types, and said it had a lot of grip. I guess I need to go search through the Garda threads here to find what will work best and have the strength rating that I need.

Amazing how much more sense Grizz's videos make each and every time I watch them through. Have watched them 3 times through now and each time it becomes more and more clear!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkin View Post
    I believe Grizz mentioned some sort of "spider" line when he was showing the 3 types, and said it had a lot of grip. I guess I need to go search through the Garda threads here to find what will work best and have the strength rating that I need.
    Spyderline - stay with 3.8mm diameter or higher

The Garda Hitch has been falling into disfavor lately, because of the wear that it places on cording.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    I have the SB Pro also and replaced the knotted ropes because it was so limited and tedious to adjust as well as to distribute the pressure on the tree bark.

I went with @ 12' of 1" polypro webbing (x2) for supports and replaced the steel 'S' hooks with aluminum rings from Sling Rings. This isn't the light compared to spider cord but works for me.

I could probably have gone with less webbing as the trees around here don't really get that big. I can usually get away with using less than 10' of webbing and that's with wrapping it around the tree twice.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkin View Post
    ]...

I think I'm going to go with a cord suspension for weight savings. 6' polypropylene to wrap around the tree on each end, using a merlinspike hitch with a spare aluminum stake as an anchor. Then 8' of cord on each end of the hammock.
    Clearly you are a quick study

This is where I've run into a wall....

Instead of using double merlinspike hitches at each end, I think I want to bowline loop the end of the 8' cords (tree end) and just attach those to the merlinspike hitch on the webbing. Then I thought about putting SMC rings on the hammock end for the ease of adjustment under the tarp.

Something like

Tree -> Web -> Merlinspike -> Cord -> SMC Ring -> Hammock ->SMC Ring -> Cord -> Merlinspike -> Web -> Tree

Does that make sense? This would mean I dont have to make adjustments at the tree by readjusting the cord merlinspike hitch, but instead use the SMC Rings to make the adjustments.
    all makes perfect sense. Use that ring at the hammock to tie off the cord there. I like the slipped buntline hitch or the full turn with two half hitches. See the animatedknots.com site (although they don't do the slippery part, which simply is pushing a bight through instead of a cord end.) TiredFeet says that on the full-turn with two half-hitches you can make both of those half-hitches slippery.

glad you like the videos...my momma always that said I had a face for radio

Grizz

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Pad/Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Alright, so after some pricing of options, I have come up with a tentative, cost effective solution that will provide me the extended suspension that I needed, more versatility, and room for future upgrade for convenience.

12' of Polypro for tree straps and Marlinspike Hitch anchors = $4.27 shipped @ 4.44oz
    21' of Spyderline for cord suspension (with 5' left over - explained later) = $26.21 shipped @ 2.82oz

Total = $30.48 shipped @ 7.26oz

The extra 5' Spyderline will be for when I want to upgrade convenience later, adding 4 SMC Rings to the ends of my hammock for easier adjusting. This will add another $16.95 shipped @ 1.55oz. I think I may want to play with 4 Marlinspike hitches for now. Half the fun is in the learning to deal with situations, right?

I believe this is all I should need to convert my current channel suspension. Any recommended changes or suggestions?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast