Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

RR owners with HG incubator

Hey RR owners. How does this quilt fit the RR? I'm looking for an underquilt that will fit both the blackbird and ridgerunner. I read somewhere on this forum that a lynx fits much better than an incubator, but I'd like to get a quilt that fits both hammocks perfectly. Any ideas?
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I own a ridge runner and incubator do not own a lynx but have laid in a ridge runner with lynx underneath it. The lynx is made to fit the RR and Brandon did a masterful job on the lynx cause it fits the RR like a glove. The incubator works great on a BB (have one of those two) as well as a RR and for that matter any gathered end or bridge hammock where the lynx only fist the RR. If I could only have one quilt and had the BB and RR I'd get the incubator. If I needed two UQ then I'd get both for sure.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    sounds good, that's what i gathered from checking up on older posts. Any cold spots/drafts? Which incubator do you have, and how low into the mercury have you taken it? I might just get both if i do some side jobs and overtime!
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris183 View Post
    sounds good, that's what i gathered from checking up on older posts. Any cold spots/drafts? Which incubator do you have, and how low into the mercury have you taken it? I might just get both if i do some side jobs and overtime!
    I have a zero incubator and a 20 pincubator which is shorter then the incubator but longer then the Phoenix. No cold spots using either on the RR but bont be afraid to really crank the UQ up underneath the RR to get it up nice and tight. I have also used my Phoenix on the RR with a pad combo and that works really well too. I have taken my zero incubator well into the single digits with a zero Burrow and been toasty warm with the proper meal at night and layering of some cloths.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

I personally don't think that the Incubator works well on a bridge design like the WBRR. I tried to get one to work but ended up ordering a 20° Lynx from Brandon. It fits great on it.

Now saying that Hamhocker has a JRB bridge hammock and the Incubators work great on it. The sides are taller on the JRB bridge compared to the WBRR which is why the Incubator works better IMO.
    Last edited by Ewker; 06-30-2014 at 11:04.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I personally don't think that the Incubator works well on a bridge design like the WBRR. I tried to get one to work but ended up ordering a 20° Lynx from Brandon. It fits like great on it.

Now saying that Hamhocker has a JRB bridge hammock and the Incubators work great on it. The sides are taller on the JRB bridge compared to the WBRR which is why the Incubator works better IMO.
    And that's why for the most part I try out lots of gear at Group Hangs. Nothing works the same for anyone person. HYOH YMMV

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have the RR and an Incubator 40... I get large gaps on the side, which results in cold spots. I had to use a piece of shock cord that goes across the top of the hammock to pull the sides in. That works, but it is not optimal.

I slept out with a 0*Incubator RR combo for the first half of this past winter. I now have a lynx and could not be happier. I live in southern New England and I saw plenty of teens and single digit temps with the Incubator. While I was able to make this combo work down to zero, I ultimately felt it was not worth the fiddling and adjusting. As I got closer to the UQ temp rating, the disadvantages of this setup became more apparent. In my opinion if you're only going to push a 0* UQ into the 20s and upper teens with the RR you should be fine. Don't get me wrong though, the Incubator is an awesome and well made piece of gear. it's just I feel the lynx is the better tool for the job when it comes to the RR.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerflop View Post
    I have the RR and an Incubator 40... I get large gaps on the side, which results in cold spots. I had to use a piece of shock cord that goes across the top of the hammock to pull the sides in. That works, but it is not optimal.
    that is the same problem I had and when it is 20° outside you don't want any gaps. To me using the shock cord was a PITA
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Strange, I have my RR outfitted with my HG 20* Incubator and, although not tapered perfectly along the sides like Brandon's Lynx, it has impressed me. I do want to get a Lynx winter, and I'm saving my pennies...

I slipped four micro carabineers through the corner most grosgrain loops on the Incubator. I clipped the two foot end carabineers onto the dog bone suspension lines. On the head end I have placed two loops of cord onto the suspension lines as prussics. I connect the two head end carabineers to these prussics, each may be slid up or down to adjust the head to foot sag. I have then tensioned the head and foot end shock cords to seal the gap to the foot end and head end. I've not found any gaps or cold spots to be a problem, and I'm not a particularly warm sleeper. I have slept in this hammock down into the low 30's just like described. I've winter camped down to 12* by adding my XL New River stacked below the Incubator, with the New River attached similarly to the head (all four corners on prussics) to account for the extra length. In most cases I'm quite warm, using a top quilt that is lighter than the actual temps or one matching the temps and venting. I've awaken to cold spots in my gathered end hammocks due to slippage of the quilts (guess I'm an active sleeper), but never in the RR. The four corner attachment has zero fiddle factor for me. Sure, the straight sides of the quilt don't match the arc of the sides of the RR, but that has not been a problem for me at all. My youngest daughter did join me for a cuddle once, and as she sat down, she sat only on the Incubator (bending one of the foot micro carabineers) but now she knows to ensure her hiney is all the way onto the outside edge of the hammock. I've not been in hammocks long, but I've tried a whole bunch...never been more comfortable!

Until I get my pennies saved up for my dream Lynx, winter, overstuff and Multicam...my HG Incubator is keeping my backside warm and toasty!

Edit: I forgot, with the saddlebags tucked into the overlapping portion of the Incubator, you can keep things that need to be warmer than freezing in that area (hunting radio batteries, phones/cameras that fail at or near freezing, water filters that can't freeze) without them sitting under you.
    Last edited by Mumbles; 08-14-2014 at 12:38. Reason: forgot saddlebag comment
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast