Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python straps

Bugnets, Do I need one?

Hey! I have been on here a lot (although this is my first time posting) and today I was thinking about my set up and wondering if I needed a bugnet. I have only slept in my Kammok on one trip (best thing ever) in 62*f weather, one night I used excess fabric from the hammock to cacoon myself plus bug spray and only bug spray the second night and I didn't get any mosquito bites. Should I invest in one? The dragonfly is kinda pricy and I don't camp super often. I mainly use my hammock for hanging out at church or at events. I can't wait to use my hammock more and thanks in advance for your replies!

~Zack

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    I personally would never go camping in my neck of the woods without a bugnet, but I suppose for just hanging out during the day bug spray would suffice. I mean, that the same as using bug spray during a backyard cookout essentially, right?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Bug spray is not a solution for sleeping (unless mosquitoes don't bite you, in which case, nevermind). You do realize that DEET damages nylon? I personally wouldn't buy the Kammok bugnet - I'm sure it's heavy and pricey (like all their products), and their customer service is suspect.

Better to buy a Buttinasling Buginator, which will work fine with the Kammok Roo. Buy yourself a bottle of 10% permethrin off Amazon and spray your bugnet (using the recommended water dilution).

There are some folks who claim that mosquitoes can bite you down to -350 degrees Fahrenheit. However, I can find no scientific evidence of this. My research indicates that mosquitoes become lethargic at 60 degrees, and downright immobile at 50 degrees. So if you hang with nighttime temps below 60, you can get away without a bugnet.

I'm a mosquito magnet. The NJ state bird is the mosquito and I find I don't need a bugnet below 60, but there's always somebody on HF who will disagree with anything.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-28-2014 at 01:33.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Yeah I was surprised myself that it worked, I'll have consider how often ill be hanging overnight in the future. It was completely awesome though! A bunch of people at my church have hammocks, that's actually what got me into them.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

Better to buy a Buttinasling Buginator, which will work fine with the Kammok Roo. Buy yourself a bottle of 10% permethrin off Amazon and spray your bugnet (using the recommended water dilution).
    Will the buginator work without a ridge line?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwilcox View Post
    Will the buginator work without a ridge line?
    Nope. Then again, I think most camping hammocks don't work too well without a ridgeline.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    What SilvrSurfr said. Unlike him I don't get bitten by mosquitoes but they get close enough (buzzing my ears and such) to ruin my night before they realize my blood is no good. Flys and spiders on the other hand... the bug net comes with me if night time lows are projected to be 60F or above.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Do you need a bug net to hang? No. It is not a requirement for your hammock to hold you up.

Do you want a bug net to hang? Short answer is yes depending on where you live, time of year/day you will be hanging, and how much the bugs love you.

Do not use DEET based products while in your hammock. They can and will destroy the fabric. My nephew jumped into his with DEET on and now has a visibly weak spot in the fabric where is legs were directly on the hammock.

Images
    A ridgeline to support your bugnet can be a simple piece of string tied between your hanging trees.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thermacell

Best invention in the last 100 years.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast