Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images

Do you remember trying to drive for the first time?

So I set up my hammock and Tarp today. HA Imagine this...one LONE majestic pecan tree stood b/t me and my first hang. Partially b/c it is the only tree in my yard. And all the neighbors trees are..well way in their yard. SOOO I had to use vines and tiny trees that arent trees at all but, more like weeds that were let go years ago. lmao I KNEW better than to climb into the death trap that is suppose to be my sleeping setup. lol HOWEVER I was determined to see my creation come together for the first time. It wasnt pretty...or level...or anything more than a tarp and hammock that looked to be clinging to the pecan for dear life as the vines tried to pull them to the darkside! LOL WOW...

Reminded me of trying to drive for the first time. I was kinda like...okay heres this and that and oh look my hammock needs another loop and the tarp is only half over my hammock. And no directions wouldn't have helped b/c I don't read directions. I DO however look at the pictures to make sure all the pieces are there. Only cool kids can put things together without reading how first. Soon...I will be cool hangin like you guys/gals.

So Blackie...I WILL most CERTAINLY be attending the next hang near here with you and your posse. I am gonna take the hammock/tarp this weekend when we go hiking and if the weather looks nice Im gonna set it up in the woods. I suspect there will be trees in the woods...lots. I however will have to sleep in a tent b/c SOMEBODY is afraid of spiders and doesnt want to be alone. SO a fried is gonna brave my hammock set up skills. This is gonna be fun...I can tell already.

Images
    Rock Star - Feeling your pain. There is a hang this weekend at Hot Springs.....

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    yep,hot springs this weekend!!!! mechanical issues will be taken care by my dad... he is the best dad in the world!! now i have to buy silicone and seal my tarp!(i know, had the tarp for 2 yrs now)
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, getting together w/ other hammockers will be priceless. i'd rather figure things out by looking at the pictures too
    the hammock videos will be priceless too, thanks to headchange & others!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    hey good deal rockstar..... any hang you can walk away from is a good one...i am off this fri if you would like me to drive up and give you a few pointers on set up..we can drive over to L&L and do a quick set up...pm me and ill send you my cell so we can hook up...i remember the firstime i ever set up a hammock...it was a military one from wwII...it used spreader bars you had to cut on site( long before the days of leave no trace...back then it was hack a path i think)so we get to the site i pull out this hammock ...and i could not make heads or tails of where all these ropes and cord went..a full hour passed as i began to figure out where this one and that one goes...then i opened the zipper and tried to get in it...and useing my youthfull skills of balance and coordination...i manged to get into this thing with all the grace of a stone drunk mastodon!!!!
    the hammock was flat with little or now sag..so you were above the center of balance..forget turning over or moving a gnat could land on one side and you were going for a ride!!..it was a white knuckle sleeping experance !!!
    in time i managed to talk to someone who had exp. with one..he showed me how to leave some slack in it..to adjust for weather etc....i learned to love that death trap..and took great pride in the fact that none of my camping budies would get anywhere near it...there favorite name for it was the ..sh*t and spin (first you say it then you do it)..i used that hammock for nearly 20 yrs untill it finally gave up the ghost..we gave it a solemn burial at our favorite camp site...and then i became a born again HH devotee...but that is another story

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Yeah that would be fun! Is afternoon okay? Maybe fish a little. By the way...what size rope or something else should I use for the ends of my tarp? And ridgeline...what ridgleline...I think I should get one of those...will parachord work? I also have some elastic chord. Ill bring both!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    Yeah that would be fun! Is afternoon okay? Maybe fish a little. By the way...what size rope or something else should I use for the ends of my tarp? And ridgeline...what ridgleline...I think I should get one of those...will parachord work? I also have some elastic chord. Ill bring both!
    I think stretchy cords do not work really well. I like a ridgeline that is made from a static type line. Something with very little stretch.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i tried adding a shock cord line tensioner to the ridge line tie out on one end of my tarp, but took it off.
    it gets in the way of tying the tarp close to the tree & just isn't needed.
    the line tensioners on the side tie outs keep the ridge line tight.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    Are you talking about a ridgeline for your tarp or for your hammock? Paracord works fine for a tarp, but it's a little heavy. It's cheap though, so if you want you can strip the guts out of it and just use the sheath. Save some weight that way.

If you want a ridgeline for your hammock, you need something rated to around 250-300 lbs. Here's what I use:

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e277435.asp
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    ok rock star..sounds like a plan to me ...a little fishing would be relaxing..i will bring my set up and show you what i use..bring your hammock and what gear you can think of and well have a great time..do yo uwant to meet here or in troy first makes no diff to me..i"ll pm you my cell and we can work out details..looking forward to it..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast