advice for my at-home hammock

I've been sleeping in a newly purchased hammock for about a month now. It is no camping rig: It comes with a stand and is a two person hammock, made of a rough cotton (I assume) cloth. I've put a Thermarest inside it and on top of that one of my bed quilts. I sleep on top of that quilt and have a second one on top of me. I sleep cold, but have been so comfortable that I am waking up with a very dry mouth, having spent the night with my jaw hanging open. Heaven knows how much I have been snoring, but that isn't my question. What I want to know is whether there is a brand of underquilt that is large enough for this set up. As I understand it, the quilt should be large enough to surround the hammock when I am in it, without being stretched by my hanging body. I would like to transition to an UQ from my comfortable but somewhat awkward pad and quilt. Suggestions?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    How wide is it?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If you can sew, make an UQ out of a Queen-sized comforter.

This is assuming your sleeping indoors. There is a little wind indoors from fans or airconditioner that can give you CBS. Other than the comforter, you shouldn't need much else under you.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

If you are asking the width of the hammock fabric, it is a bit over 60" wide

Sadly, I am a total klutz with sewing machines. I tried to grab and tie the 4 corners of the quilt I am using but nothing held, and I didn't even make it into the hammock to see its fit!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jillmcin View Post
    If you are asking the width of the hammock fabric, it is a bit over 60" wide
    60" just about any UQ will do. My full time hammock is 90" wide and I use a full length UQ. Keeps the back warm and sleeps great with the ac kicking.

Hammock
    TW XL black at the moment
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag
    If you can't sew, there are countless other people that can and wi do it for a price.
    All you would need would be a channel down each side of a quilt, stick some elastic shock cord through that and suspend underneath the hammock tight enough that it's pressed against the bottom of the hammock but not compressed.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Indoor UQ options

There are many options that could work well for you. An extra long UQ from one of the vendors that advertise here at HF is easy, probably very light weight. Or a "PLUQ" see sticky thread. Or have a local seamstress add grosgrain tube channels to the sides of a bed quilt, even twin size should work. There are several very simple DIY ideas here at HF and YouTube on using a rectangular sleeping bag with small loops of grosgrain you can hand stitch on or use safety pins or fabric glue. For tonight get some office paper binder clips and temporarily attach a quilt to bottom of your hammock. Let us know what your preferences are if purchased UQ which ones work best at 65-75°F indoors? I'm not sure ask that. Cotton Brazilian style hammock or gathered end nylon camping hammock either works with standard full length UQ, does not matter much I use both hammock types.

Edit: You don't need to follow dejoha's No-SEW PLUQ example exactly just the concept of running shock cord thru the channels in a quilt or poncho liner (army quilt) and suspending under your hammock, the PLUQ does not need to be folded over in half it can be fully open with another blanket pinned on top of it with safety pins or hand stitch in or use fabric glue. i.e. use a bit of creativity, the sauce that made America wealthy.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...oncho-Liner-UQ

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/d...ew-and-no-sew/
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-30-2014 at 00:46. Reason: Edit Derek H's PLUQ simple DIY

• + New Posts