Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew

Camping Help around Lake Superior

I have noticed that there are several of our northern neighbors on Hammockforums.net

I would like to appeal to anyone that has knowledge of "great" hammock camping spots along the north shore of Lake Superior.

I am planing a motorcycle camping trip around the lake either the last week of July or the first week of August.

This is the main reason that I decided to try a hammock in the first place.

So, let me know your secret place to hang between Sault Ste Marie to Thunder Bay, (or anywhere around the lake for that matter).
    Thanks
    John

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Heck, it's no secret that there is a great place to hang at Split Rock.

There used to be several cool walk off trails to the Lake Bluffs and beaches between Reservation road and Grand Portage that would be awesome stealth sites, but it has been a long time since I've been that far up 61. It could be all private by now.

Another place I haven't been to in a very long time, Horseshoe Bay north of Hovland. You used to be able to spend the night on the beach (this was before I hammocked.) I don't know what the current rules or access is there.

So no current intel, except stay at Split Rock if you can. I think pizza posted some pics from a stay there.

Oh, and I see by your profile that you have the CCS tarp as well. Awesome tarp, isn't it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a link to the Superior Hiking Trail map: http://www.shta.org/Trail/TrailMaps/index.php
    Lots of campgrounds and State Parks up HWY 61 in Minnesota. Pick a far away spot and hang the hammock back in the woods a bit and you should be fine. Stealthy.... Covert.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It has been years since I traveled that far North, but I would recommend the waterfalls at any of the various sites. There are many to choose from, some very touristy and others way back for hike in only. Tahquemannon Falls is the second biggest set of falls East of the Mississippi. Black flies where terrible so bring bug protection. And, Mystery Spot is a fun visit, in St. Ignace, if your on that side of the UP. And see the Mackinac Bridge.http://www.uppermichiganwaterfalls.com/home.html
    http://www.mysteryspotstignace.com/m...ties-&-prices/
    http://www.mackinacbridge.org/photo-gallery-10/
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is a link to the Superior Hiking Trail map: http://www.shta.org/Trail/TrailMaps/index.php
    Lots of campgrounds and State Parks up HWY 61 in Minnesota. Pick a far away spot and hang the hammock back in the woods a bit and you should be fine. Stealthy.... Covert.
    Second on the SHT, although the SHT isn't actually "on" the Lake Superior shore (except for a mile or so). The trail generally parallels the Lake Superior shoreline along the ridgeline inland. Any camping on the SHT or the state parks will be woodland camping, though almost always near water (pond/lake/river/stream).

I've heard really good things about Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore near Munising in the Michigan Upper Peninsula (just west of Sault Ste. Marie). There are road-accessible campgrounds quite near Lake Superior.
    Last edited by beep; 07-17-2009 at 12:06.

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    One more vote for the SHT. Even if you're not doing much hiking there are some fantastic state parks along 61 that will give you some great hanging opportunities. Once you get into Canada you must make a stop at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. In Michigan I vote for Picture Rock and the Porkies. Sounds like one fun vacation ! Please let us know how the trip goes and take lots of pictures.
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl / Eno dbl
    Tarp
    Blackcat w/door
    Insulation
    crowsnest / yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Does that site offer the most detailed maps? Or, can you get better ones at the ranger stations up there? REI didn't have anything for the SHT.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Booya View Post
    Does that site offer the most detailed maps? Or, can you get better ones at the ranger stations up there? REI didn't have anything for the SHT.
    The Superior Hiking Trail Association is located in Two Harbors at 731 7th Ave, Two Harbors, MN 55616-0004 (20 miles north of Duluth) on Hwy 61 (the main street through Two Harbors). They have maps and good information on trail conditions, etc.

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Booya View Post
    You can buy them on-line or from the store. If you join the SHTA not only will you have the good feeling that you're helping maintain one of the premier hiking trails in the US but you also get free maps. REI should carry the book Guide of the Superior Hiking Trail.
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    Heck, it's no secret that there is a great place to hang at Split Rock.

There used to be several cool walk off trails to the Lake Bluffs and beaches between Reservation road and Grand Portage that would be awesome stealth sites, but it has been a long time since I've been that far up 61. It could be all private by now.

Another place I haven't been to in a very long time, Horseshoe Bay north of Hovland. You used to be able to spend the night on the beach (this was before I hammocked.) I don't know what the current rules or access is there.

So no current intel, except stay at Split Rock if you can. I think pizza posted some pics from a stay there.

Oh, and I see by your profile that you have the CCS tarp as well. Awesome tarp, isn't it?
    I will check out split rock.

Yes the tarp is great for being about to set it up in almost any configuration for shelter during nasty weather. The only problem with this one is that it is huge for the hammock.

I headed out on the motorcycle today to go to Midwest mountaineering to look at smaller ones, but did not plan well and got cold and wet and had to turn around just south of the MN line. I learned a good lesson today.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    It has been years since I traveled that far North, but I would recommend the waterfalls at any of the various sites. There are many to choose from, some very touristy and others way back for hike in only. Tahquemannon Falls is the second biggest set of falls East of the Mississippi. Black flies where terrible so bring bug protection. And, Mystery Spot is a fun visit, in St. Ignace, if your on that side of the UP. And see the Mackinac Bridge.http://www.uppermichiganwaterfalls.com/home.html
    http://www.mysteryspotstignace.com/m...ties-&-prices/
    http://www.mackinacbridge.org/photo-gallery-10/
    Thanks, I will check out these sites when I get some time.

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Second on the SHT, although the SHT isn't actually "on" the Lake Superior shore (except for a mile or so). The trail generally parallels the Lake Superior shoreline along the ridgeline inland. Any camping on the SHT or the state parks will be woodland camping, though almost always near water (pond/lake/river/stream).

I've heard really good things about Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore near Munising in the Michigan Upper Peninsula (just west of Sault Ste. Marie). There are road-accessible campgrounds quite near Lake Superior.
    Great tip, I doubt I will get much hiking in, but woodland camping on the water is just the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
    One more vote for the SHT. Even if you're not doing much hiking there are some fantastic state parks along 61 that will give you some great hanging opportunities. Once you get into Canada you must make a stop at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. In Michigan I vote for Picture Rock and the Porkies. Sounds like one fun vacation ! Please let us know how the trip goes and take lots of pictures.
    I will post pics and my story once I get back.
    John

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast