diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out

Changing my suspension

Thinking about upgrading the suspension on my Hennessy Hammock for my upcoming Long Trail thru-hike.

I currently use a HH ultralight backpacker zip model with silnylon rain-fly.

I have become proficient with setting up my hammock using the standard suspension/lashing system but I know going to whoopies will be more convenient and quicker.

So a few questions...

Will my 6' tree huggers be suitable for use with a whoopie sling suspension?

Should I cut off one of the sewn loop ends on the tree huggers to save weight? Idk how much it will save but it is actually unnecessary weight. My only concerns are if I did cut it off, and the other sewing came undone, I'm kinda up the creek without a paddle. Would need to rig it up till I could get a replacement tree hugger.

Should I get 6' or 8' whoopies?

I will be purchasing a set of aluminum toggles to bring with me as well.

Anyone know if there will be any weight savings converting to whoopies in my case?

Furthermore, can anyone give me a reason NOT to convert to whoopies with my hammock? Besides voiding the warranty.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Thinking about upgrading the suspension on my Hennessy Hammock for my upcoming Long Trail thru-hike.

I currently use a HH ultralight backpacker zip model with silnylon rain-fly.

I have become proficient with setting up my hammock using the standard suspension/lashing system but I know going to whoopies will be more convenient and quicker.

So a few questions...

Will my 6' tree huggers be suitable for use with a whoopie sling suspension?

Should I cut off one of the sewn loop ends on the tree huggers to save weight? Idk how much it will save but it is actually unnecessary weight. My only concerns are if I did cut it off, and the other sewing came undone, I'm kinda up the creek without a paddle. Would need to rig it up till I could get a replacement tree hugger.

Should I get 6' or 8' whoopies?

I will be purchasing a set of aluminum toggles to bring with me as well.

Anyone know if there will be any weight savings converting to whoopies in my case?

Furthermore, can anyone give me a reason NOT to convert to whoopies with my hammock? Besides voiding the warranty.
    Whoopies save more on bulk and a wee bit on overall weight. 6' straps will do you fine...leave the loops as you can still tie a marlinspike which for your toggle with the loop end on. To save big weight look in other areas to drop.
    6' whoopies will serve you well.
    That is going to be a great trip. Long Trail is on my bucket list......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG CF w/Door
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use my tree huggers by wrapping around the tree and passing one end through the eye of the other end. After that, i create a marlin spike hitch and put the adjustable loop of the whoopie on the knot (NOT on the toggle or stick used to make the hitch). Holds real nice.

I like that marlin spike hitch a lot. In fact, when i got my 6' tree straps, i started keeping one of the one that came with my HH in the waist belt pocket of my pack. Then when I'm on the trail and am ready to take a break for lunch, i use it to make a marlin spike hutch that i hang my pack on to keep it out of the dirt.

I never weighed the ropes... I like lightweight, but not raj concerned about ultra light, so the difference in any weight was going to be negligible.

About the only con to conversion that, to me was not a big deal because i use a different tarp, is that the tarp that came with your HH provably won't work with the whoopies because the route is to slick for the prusick knot to grab onto.
    Last edited by MyD0j0; 06-30-2014 at 18:39.
    My hammock...is MyD0j0!

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Use the saved weight budget from HH rope to keep your straps and get longer whoopies. Murphy's Law will say you come up short if you don't....

just a thought.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Whoopies save more on bulk and a wee bit on overall weight. 6' straps will do you fine...leave the loops as you can still tie a marlinspike which for your toggle with the loop end on. To save big weight look in other areas to drop.
    6' whoopies will serve you well.
    That is going to be a great trip. Long Trail is on my bucket list......
    Shug
    Thanks for the response Shug. I've watched alot of your videos. I'm going to order 6' whoopies and toggles. I just weighed my original suspension lines. 42 grams. Whoopies = 40grams. So no real weight savings but I'm looking forward to the convenience.

And I'm really looking forward to the Long Trail. Mid August - September. Hopefully get to see some foliage to change. Vermont in the fall is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyD0j0 View Post
    I use my tree huggers by wrapping around the tree and passing one end through the eye of the other end. After that, i create a marlin spike hitch and put the adjustable loop of the whoopie on the knot (NOT on the toggle or stick used to make the hitch). Holds real nice.

I like that marlin spike hitch a lot. In fact, when i got my 6' tree straps, i started keeping one of the one that came with my HH in the waist belt pocket of my pack. Then when I'm on the trail and am ready to take a break for lunch, i use it to make a marlin spike hutch that i hang my pack on to keep it out of the dirt.

I never weighed the ropes... I like lightweight, but not raj concerned about ultra light, so the difference in any weight was going to be negligible.

About the only con to conversion that, to me was not a big deal because i use a different tarp, is that the tarp that came with your HH provably won't work with the whoopies because the route is to slick for the prusick knot to grab onto.
    I use the hex fly so I setup mine separate like you. I wasn't planning on reusing the prusick knot as it serves no purpose to me. Regards

Just a thought but I larks head the whoopie to the strap (dogbone if needed for extra length) feed the strap through one of its loops and use a dutch hook on an amsteel loop on the hammock body. It's about as fool proof as you can get. I've seen too many toggle fails for my comfort. If you do go with the toggle be sure to check it each time.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    my friend (Whiskeyjack on here) sometimes uses carabiners to clip whoopees to tree straps. usually ties a loop into straps and clips into it. I personally am still leary of MSH and for the toggle I use a extra tarp peg(high grade aluminum) so it can take a little pressure.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 40
    Check out the dutch hooks on whoopie slings at his site; love mine...

• + New Posts