Newbie Hanger Here

Hi HF hangers,

I am NEW to hammock camping and have a HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip and an Exped DownMat 7 ( http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-...s/downmat-7-lw ). I plan to go on my first hammock backpacking trip in October (North Eastern Region) and wanted to know if I should purchase the HH undercover (not the HHSS System) and use the EXPED DownMat in between the hammock and the UC. I'm guessing the weather will drop below 30-40 F. Or should I save the $115 (cost of the UC from HH) and put it towards an UNDERQUILT?

Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. I am not experienced in Hammock Camping and the last thing I want to experience is heading back towards my car because I went unprepared.

Thanks!
    Aaron
    Last edited by snakestriper; 06-30-2014 at 20:41. Reason: Left out detail.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite 11ft
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Pads work well. UQ are nice because they don't move around like a pad would. I'd make sure you have a quality and warm top quilt with that money (you didn't mention your top insulation).

Just research and go to group hangs. You'll find what works for you and what you like in time. If it's cold and your first time then bring a little extra insulation, I'll tell you from experience

Also you can get the closed cell foam pads for cheap insurance for your bottom insulation.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. I'd skip the HH undercover and get an underquilt. The undercover is not insulation.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-30-2014 at 22:20.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG CubeF w/ doors
    Insulation
    NEO AIR
    Suspension
    Strap Dutch Whoopi
    If you have not been hammocking very long I would say use pad only, in the hammock for now. Your gear preference may change and you may want to invest in other items before you finalize your bottom insulation. I have been happy with a pad only in my setup for a few years, and only bring it out when it drops below 35.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

Exped 7 is plenty of insulation

Quote Originally Posted by snakestriper View Post
    Hi HF hangers,

I am NEW to hammock camping ...... the last thing I want to experience is heading back towards my car because I went unprepared.
    Hello! My basic thought is that you will be fine with the Exped 7. I have one and don't use it much now that I have an underquilt, but I think it will be plenty of insulation. The main issue is that it will be a bit narrow and you will be fussing around to stay centered on it. Try to somewhat underinflate it. Also take along some extra clothes or thermals if you are worried about being warm. With the Exped you could always bail out to the ground, you may be surprised to learn that it is easier to keep your backside warm on the ground than up in the air!

To my mind, the key aspect of hammock camping is keeping your backside warm.

I don't know what your schedule and options are like, but I found it super useful to spend a few nights sleeping in my own backyard before heading out on a long trip. A low risk way to discover problems and debug things before the commitment of a big trip. That or some short overnight trips near the car (not that you would every actually bail out to the car, it is just a psychological crutch).

Apparently there is now an extra wide version of the Exped that came out since I bought mine. It would be much better for hammock camping, but to start, you use what ya got.

I carry a ridgerest pad sometimes on backpacks along with my underquilt because I expect to have to camp above timberline a day or two. And since I sleep cold, it ends up under me along with the underquilt (on the nights when I am able to rig the hammock), though it isn't strictly necessary -- but I like to be warm and cozy. See how the Exped works for you, maybe you won't want or need an underquilt?

Rigged right though, an underquilt is the lap of luxury.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    diy underquilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have the exped synmat and it is very warm. I did get cold spots on the sides of my shoulders where there is no insulation from the mat, maybe stuff a jacket in this area to help insulate a little more. If you have sufficient insulation on the top you should be just fine. Like Tucson Tom says don't inflate it all the way so that it will contour inside the hammock with you a little better. I use a sleeping bag as a top quilt for my hammock, you can stuff the pad in the foot box of the sleeping bag to help keep it in place a little bit. The pad worked fine for when I started out hanging but since have made 2 underquilts which I prefer much more.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by josh hikes View Post
    If you have not been hammocking very long I would say use pad only, in the hammock for now. Your gear preference may change and you may want to invest in other items before you finalize your bottom insulation. I have been happy with a pad only in my setup for a few years, and only bring it out when it drops below 35.
    You seem to be saying that you don't use any bottom insulation above 35* F. Is that right?!

• + New Posts