Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new here and have a question,,,,,,

hi guys new here, new to hammock camping.... ok before anybody chews my head off i know you get what you pay for LOL that being said, i have a bad back and have a hard time sleeping on it so i bought the cheapest hammock i could get to test it out and see how my back does, if it works then i can upgrade latter if it dont im only out about 25.00 i bought the double because im 6'1" and around 275# so i wanted the extra room so anyway what i bought is listed below,,,,, any tips for a new guy?? besides dont squat with your spurs on!!

thanks

PS, ive been camping for 40+ years so im good with the outdoors just new to hammocks ...

Double Deluxe Outfitters Hammock rated to 400 pounds
    Made of 100% high-strength breathable parachute nylon triple interlocking stitching
    Stuffs into attached compression stuff sack; Maximum weight capacity is 400 pounds
    2-persons hammock that packs into size of softball for easy carrying
    High-quality steel carabineers and strength-tested nautical-grade line
    Breathable woven nylon microfiber for superior strength and wear resistance

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. Is that an ENO hammock or a knockoff?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler 11ft
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Newriver
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I would start by looking around on this fourm alot of great info! I am also new to the hanging world and I found this to be very helpful as I started to learn the best hanging techniques. Also what will you be using for the straps (suspension)? to attach it to the tree or stand?
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome from Florida.

Don't worry about price. I paid $6 + tax for my material and made my first hammock. I still use it today.

I would suggest replacing the nautical-grade line(assuming it's not 7/32 or 1/4 amsteel. And getting tree straps to connect the lines to. Basically replacing the suspension system.

Also, you may want to invest in a bugnet. Camping 40+ years, you probably already know that, though. Also get a tarp.

The tarp is your shelter (tent, etc), and hammock is your bedding. A lot of folks forget when trying to compare tents or tarp camping with hammock camping.

The rest of ground gear can be used in the hammock...pads, sleeping bags, etc. Good until you decide to upgrade to UQ(underquilts), TQ(top quilts).
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

thanks,

1 its a knock off (china i think)
    2 it comes with some sort of suspension ropes or straps (il be buying 1 1/2 or 2" tree straps so i dont scar anything up.
    3 im looking at bug nets now, i just bought a 1951 singer sewing machine tonight (i like old its simple and dependable lol) so i may look at making my own bug net, i love making my own stuff and i was thinking of maybe tyvex for the tarp but im not sure yet...

ive been reading all over this site since i found it 2 days ago, lot to read

thanks

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Keep it simple and go camping

Sounds like you are off to a good start, it is usually best to start simple so you don't end up with a bunch of unnecessary gear, wasted time and money. 9-10' long hammock should be comfortable enough for you and packable, long term you may want to DIY one out of TableclothsFactory.com or ripstop nylon by the yard. DIY bugnet is a good idea, Fronkey and "XTrekker" both posted good DIY directions and ideas on bugnets. But your idea of keeping it simple is good. Hammock camping can be very simple. I have considered making a Tyvek tarp with a leftover remnant from a construction project but I have not yet gotten around to it. Silnylon is more compact but very expensive.

thanks i like the KISS approach (Keep It Simple Stupid) lol ive made a lot of our own gear over the years and some has actually worked better then the factory stuff we bought

have a great weekend

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Nit-picking comes with experience. You'll figure out what changes you would want to make as you go along. First thing I would do is swap out the suspension but that's based on the posted description. Steel biners and nautical grad rope do not instill the warm fuzzies in me. Don't get me wrong... nothing _wrong_ with them but if the rope is nylon it will stretch badly. If you go the biner route you need to be aware of the forces you put on non climbing rated biners. You can hit the safe working load real quick if you don't pay close attention to suspension angles. But if it gets you off the ground and out into the wilds you have a warkable hammock. My advice is to not scimp on the tarp and the insulations. The hammock just has to hold you up and it would seem to be able to do that. The tarp and the insulation can make or break your experience.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Lewis / Ignitor
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Tennessee Guy,
    This forum is exploding with info. Use the advice here to get your basics (tie-off, bug protection, tarp) and if you are like the rest of use you will refine your gear as you get to see how it performs and adjust it to your own preferences.
    You are doing right to learn as much as you can, but don't think for a minute that there is a magical combo of gear that you can gather up from the first and use forever. It is an evolution, and just sifting through the advice and getting started is maybe the hardest part. It all comes together over time- don't sweat your decisions too much. Good luck and happy hanging.
    “I travel light, but not at the same speed.
”

thanks again guys...

Journeyman you mean my 24.00 hammock wont last me forever and pass it along to the grand kids???? LOL just kidding....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast