Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WV>Dolly Sods

WV>Dolly Sods

I am planning a trip out here at the end of the month. I have been scouring the interwebs for information on the region but it appears that when you go to a place listed as a "wilderness" that the info is hard to find. I am curious, from those of you that have been there, anything I should be aware of? I understand it can be wet at times. I have found some rudimentary maps also but was wondering of anyone had some lists of their favorite trails or spots to make sure I visit when going. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I may be there myself. If you see a white and black dog, say hi. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions that come up. There are others who may chime in here. The WV Highlands Conservancy has 24K maps. Download link is here. The NFS has a fine map available at the Seneca Rocks Visitor Center, if you get that far south.
    If the water in Red Creek is high, some of the trail options may be limited, but that's not a reason to stay away. By West Virginia standards it may be crowded on a summer weekend. (Come to think of it, you probably wouldn't like DS; don't go. )
    Like mud? The Dobbin Grade Trail is for you. Like blueberries? You're in luck.
    It's harder to get lost there than it used to be, but you absolutely need a map and compass. If the fog rolls in you can be 10 feet from a trail and never find it. What else? Oh yeah, BearChaser got his trail name there....
    Last edited by WV; 07-01-2014 at 06:19.

Look up Red Creek campground, managed by the USFS. Some of us plan to be there the last weekend of July. Come introduce yourself and visit.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    +1 on Dobbin Grade Trail being a creek. One of my shoes came off in a mud hole about 18" deep.

I went twice last summer, leading backpacking groups both times. I would highly recommend hiking poles for the creek crossings, as the creek resembles a river after a rain. During a rainstorm last year (which occurs almost daily on the Allegheny Front), I nervously watched the creek rise by at least 12" in a few hours.

There are a lot of "hidden" campsites that you won't find on a map, but may stumble across in your wanderings. Campsites near a water source are frequent. I highly recommend camping at Alder Run and Blackbird Knob Trail. On the eastern side of Alder Run, head south on a foot path. there are a dozen sites lining the Run. Another great site is at the confluence of the east and west branches of Red Creek off the Upper Red Creek Trail at the falls. If you don't mind hauling water a half mile uphill there is a gorgeous site near Lion's Head, but you need to get there well before dark so you can find it, since it's not on a map. You can catch a sunset in the evening and a sunrise the next morning from the rocks.

The best trail descriptions are at MidAtlanticHikes.com

The best place for blueberries and wintergreen is the northern section, closer to Bear Rocks. The southern half is more wooded and bolete mushrooms are prolific.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any of you guys heading out this coming weekend? 7/25

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    WV, Rosaleen, JD, Country Roads are at Red Creek Campground right now. Others are joining in and then backpacking some trails. Stop by Red Creek Campground and look for the hammocks. It's not a big campground so they should will be easy to find. JD will be there through the weekend and others will be coming and going. He's got a Virginia license plate.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Awesome! If i can get a partner to come with me I'll see you guys there. I've always wanted to camp at Alder Run but the way I typically backpack the North I'm usually on my way out on the last day. That camp right on the trail next to the creek looks amazing with the huge stone thrones and plenty of room. From what I remember though it wasn't multiple hammock friendly.

What I'd really like to do is head down tomorrow after work (I'd get there at about 9pm) camp for the night, then hike and camp Saturday and head home Sunday morning. Do you have any idea what the hiking plans are? I could probably do 7-10 miles Saturday then maybe 3-4 Sunday morning so I can get home.

I'm also due for a Roaring Plains backpack. I'm thinking maybe 2 weeks from tomorrow.

Well it looks like I'm on my own this weekend. I'm guessing by the time I get there all the sites will be taken. Idk, I've never actually camped at the campground.

Is anyone still around this morning to fill me in on some details? It would be mighty awkward to just show up in hopes I find someone to hang with, lol.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Good luck! Hope you find everyone alright. The good news is that there are a lot of hanging possibilities in the sods that are easy to get to from the parking areas.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast