SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Beta Lake, Alberta, Canada

Alas, after nearly a month, I finally get around to my trip report of the trip to Beta Lake, Alberta, Canada. I have put together a video of some of the highlights from this trip, there is a link at the end of the report.

I awoke on this beautiful May morning around sparrow fart, the sun was shining already with her golden brilliance and the world was still in that in between state of sleep and consciousness. Having packed my car the night before I was able to get away promptly, beating the hoards of commuters still hours away from their daily rat race. The drive to the lake was uneventful but enjoyable, every time I drive west of the city I feel the call to travel just a little further to the blue gray mountains over the horizon. Today however, the massive sentinels were not my destination.

Instead, MM53BAR and myself had planned to meet at a little lake just east of Niton Junction on the Yellowhead, and north of the small hamlet of Mackay. We settled on this destination because it was a lot more secluded and out of the way than our previous location, and in my opinion way more beautiful.

I arrived at Beta Lake just after seven a.m. I drove through the small loop of five campsites, taking in the serenity and deciding where to set up. Around the backside of the park, I noticed a rather large bird nest about fifty feet up in an old poplar. I parked my car and got out to investigate and was drawn to a rather bold sign stapled to the nest tree. It was a notification about the nesting bald eagle in the tree above and it clearly stated that camping in the sites around the nest was not advised. The birds were sensitive to noise and could be scared away. Turns out that they had the best spot in the park.

I returned to my vehicle and drove around to the front of the campground. There, right in front of me, was possible the best place I have found so far, a beautiful lake front with room for at least four hammocks. I pulled into site number two and stepped out, taking in the majestic view of Beta Lake, and found my mind already beginning to settle on the myriad tasks ahead. Shelter, fire and food were on my mind, but I reach for my camera instead thinking I could somehow capture the beauty that was played out before me. Looking at this pristine body of water was mesmerizing and I remembered a picture that I used to stare at when I was a child. It used to hang ever so slanted in my grandmother's basement and depicted a father and son fishing in a tiny red boat. This scene was almost identical, minus the boat and its inhabitants. I snapped a few photos and dragged myself to the tasks at hand.

As always, I decided to set upon fire making as my first chore. I don't know why, but it seems to me that fire, no matter what time of year it is, is my number one priority. I had noticed on my arrival to the park some rather large logs in a neighboring site, and quickly set forth to retrieve them. Since I was car camping, I had brought along my chainsaw to make it easier to process wood. Within an hour I had the first of three bucked up and split. I quickly shaved up some tinder, and batoned some kindling, and with the help of some dirty cotton had a fire sparked within minutes. I stacked the split, wet wood around the pit to make for faster drying and went about setting up my Streamliner.

Looking around the site for many minutes, I finally decided on a spot. There were a few good spans, but I choose mine based on the wind and how exposed the campsite was. I noticed that right down the middle were six trees spaced perfectly to allow three hammocks to hang side by side under one very large tarp or three tarps staked down tight to the ground. I thought this would make a great picture for the forums someday. I went to work, taking my time to ensure everything was dialed in perfectly, thinking about a video I had watched prior. In this video, there was a gentleman talking about how it should only take ten minutes to hang your hammock, which I don't agree with. I like to be comfortable at night or when I am sheltering during rain so, I believe more is better in this case.

Having finished my camouflaged refuge, I got to boiling some water. I was hungry from chopping and setting up and I knew the ramen I brought would fill the void. I enjoyed every last bit.

Soon after my meal I found myself bored. I had completed the first few tasks and really did not feel like tackling the others yet. I set up my video camera on the eagles' nest and hit record, then sat down with a book I had brought with me. I read for an hour and nodded off.

I awoke to the sound of a vehicle approaching the park from the dirt road. I got up and stoked the fire and went to retrieve my camera from it's vantage point on the road. A silver sedan pulled up, and a slim gentleman stepped out. It was MM53BAR. Its always a little bit intimidating for me when I meet someone for the first time, with my quirky personality. I hate making the wrong first impressions. We greeted each other and an instant friendship was made. I walked him through my setup and then he went to work setting up his rig as I watched and learned. He explained how ucr's worked and tried out an experimental suspension. I was quite impressed with his ultra light setup.

We returned to my campsite and I got to work processing the other two logs, while he boiled up some water on his bush buddy. Since I was car camping, i had brought all of my gear, an Axe, chainsaw, Coleman propane stove and numerous other amenities I would not have on a backpacking trip. I like to have all the creature comforts if I can. The rest of the afternoon was spent talking, and preparing for the night ahead.

At one point we were sitting on the dock and we noticed an old building towards to north east end of the lake. We decided to hike to it to investigate, and quickly set off. We found a trail behind the eagles' nest site and followed it traipsing over fallen poplars and spruce, and soon found ourselves in a clearing. The old fire ravaged house loomed ahead, taunting and coaxing me in with its eery facade. I love exploring old abandoned places and this building definitely fit the bill. I entered while MM53BAR stayed back, stepping lightly over rotten floorboard and pigeon poop. The old, tattered wallpaper still clung to the walls in all its former, flowery glory and the burnt framework grabbed at the sky like boney, skeletal claws. Honestly, the whole experience lasted about four minutes, but will be etched into my mind forever. I retraced my cautious footfalls and emerged from the broken structure victorious.

We explored the area a while longer, happening upon old farm equipment and something completely unexpected out in the wild. I wandered down to a small sloughy creek and took some pictures. It was utterly breathtaking, somewhere not many people have laid eyes on. I returned to the company of my new friend, and with the orange glow of the setting sun, we headed back to camp.

Dinner for me consisted of fire roasted peppers, onion, and potatoes, sirloin steak cooked rare, and garlic toast; believe me, it was delicious. I also tried my hand at catching a few frogs for their legs, but my efforts were fruitless.

After dinner, my new friend and I retired to the dock on the now plate glass waters, to take in the sights and some after dinner spirits. We sat, talking about future hangs and gear for awhile, then returned to the fire for more talk and spirits. When the sun was gone, we both resigned from the day to our respective abodes.

I slept like a baby in my Streamliner from Simply Light Designs. For bottom insulation I used my Mount Washington Four from Jacks R Better, and on top, well, a wool blanket. I was toasty warm all night, only getting up once to answer nature's call, then quickly returning to my slumber.

I awoke just after sparrow fart, and was feeling the groggy after effect of a decent nights sleep. MM53BAR was already awake and in the process of tearing down as I stumbled forth from my Superfly. I got to work procuring some hot water for my morning cup of Joe, while my friend broke camp. After coffee I myself packed up. We said our goodbyes and he drove off into the Alberta countryside. I stayed behind to get some more footage and photos, then said goodbye to Beta Lake Alberta.

I definitely will return to this little gem. By then the eaglettes will have left their nest, and I will be able to choose the campsite at the end of the loop. It is more sheltered from the wind, and there is lots of wood around.

Well, until next time, happy hammocking all.

Beta Lake Memories: http://youtu.be/ojqjtdQO0b4
    Last edited by snidetripod; 07-02-2014 at 03:28.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a great spot for a group hang. Thanks for sharing the adventure.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Thanks for writing that up Mike. It was a great spot that we'll need to return to sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Looks like a great spot for a group hang. Thanks for sharing the adventure.
    Definitely a good spot for a group hang. Just need to get a group together!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I left my tree straps there
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

• + New Posts