Thread: XLC setup

XLC setup

I was experimenting with my new XLC setup in the backyard this last weekend and had a few questions. I have the adjustable webbing. My kids ran off with my carabiners and I could only find one. I took off one strap and threaded it through the loop and then back to the buckles and it worked but was slow and I dropped the hammock on the ground. Seems like you really need carabiners for the adjustable webbing, right? I thought about ordering some Dutch clips but I'm afraid I will lose them if they are not attached. Do they work with the adjustable webbing without falling off. I assume the Dutch biners are too small to clip to the webbing, right? I have (or my kids have) some Nano biners that I like but is there something that fits the webbing better?

Secondly, I was more comfortable when I took the bug net off. I was feeling a little closterphobic so maybe I was just more relaxed. Does the net affect your lay? I hate bugs but maybe the zippered net is not for me.

Third even with about a 30 degree angle on the straps, the ridge line was tighter than what was in the Warbonnet BB setup video. I'm about 220 and probably have 40 pounds on Brandon so maybe that is it.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I use dutch clips, have both aluminum and TI. I attach them to the loop-eye and then put a few stitches with thread right at the clip. That has kept the clips attached with no issues. Yeah, threading thru the eye, is a pain, slow...imagine doing that in the rain....meh....
    You will love the bug net in "bug season". It is easy to lay back. The netting isn't structural at all, so won't affect the lay.
    I don't get too "perfect" on the ridge line tension. Drum tight? I adjust up and down on the tree straps and such to loosen that up.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    dutch clips work fine, and as you know looping through the eye works its just as not as fast.. dont use the dutch biners on the webbing, or nano carabiners either, or you just might find out why we say dont hang higher then your willing to fall..lol
    having the sippered net on does effect the way the body of the hammock moves with your weight in it, and for some it takes a while to get past the claustrophic feeling of having the netting on,, but it beats being dinner for the mosqitoes. and the for me the ridgeling is always tighter then the videos, when i get it like the videos it does not feel as comfortable, and im 340-350..
    all this goes along hang your own hang..good luck and let us know what works best for you
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Have had the Dutch clips on a WBBB or XLC for a year plus of daily use. Haven't lost them yet.
    Thought about throwing some stitches in there to keep them in place but they don't need it.
    Also have another pair on my day hike hammock, those haven't wandered off either.
    You are good to go with Dutch clips, if you want that peace of mind that your titanium blingness won't wander, throw a stitch in.

For larger folks, who will use the full width of the WBBB or XLC, the netting does limit the "give" of the hammock at the edges and could feel a little confined if you like to get pretty diagonal. One way to mitigate this feeling is to slide towards the footbox a little. This will also change the feel of the hammock so finding your "sweet spot" takes a little trial and error.

If I can go without a bug net, I do, without a doubt. That said, it is a trip saver when others are suffering the swarms of small flying things and I am resting comfortably in my hammock, completely bug free.

As for the ridge line, it's all in the hang angle. I have more than 100 lbs on you and I have no problem getting slack in the ridge line. The 30 degrees is a great starting point but I make sure that my feet are higher than my head and I get the appropriate tension in the ridge line because that gets me my most comfortable lay.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    And to add to that, Dutch just came out with g clips that are dutch clips that your strap threads thru so they stay on your straps and would be even harder to lose, they are on the Hammock stuff page at the bottom.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    And to add to that, Dutch just came out with g clips that are dutch clips that your strap threads thru so they stay on your straps and would be even harder to lose, they are on the Hammock stuff page at the bottom.
    ....ulp.....must resist.....must.....not more Dutch....Must resist....
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Thank you all for the input. I think I will order some more Dutch hardware when I get paid.

And I guess I will keep trying different angles to see if I can get the ridge line less tight.

However, on my other hammocks I've been using the Nano biners and been happy. What exactly is the failure.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    dutch clips work fine, and as you know looping through the eye works its just as not as fast.. dont use the dutch biners on the webbing, or nano carabiners either, or you just might find out why we say dont hang higher then your willing to fall..lol
    having the sippered net on does effect the way the body of the hammock moves with your weight in it, and for some it takes a while to get past the claustrophic feeling of having the netting on,, but it beats being dinner for the mosqitoes. and the for me the ridgeling is always tighter then the videos, when i get it like the videos it does not feel as comfortable, and im 340-350..
    all this goes along hang your own hang..good luck and let us know what works best for you

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post

As for the ridge line, it's all in the hang angle. I have more than 100 lbs on you and I have no problem getting slack in the ridge line. The 30 degrees is a great starting point but I make sure that my feet are higher than my head and I get the appropriate tension in the ridge line because that gets me my most comfortable lay.
    How do you get the 30 degree angle with one side significantly higher than the other???

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The 30 degree thing is about minimizing the dynamic stress on the tree at the attachment point. I'd like to be as close to 30 degrees as a rule of thumb but it won't ruin my night if one is 40 & the other 25.

With my feet higher and head lower, often the angle will be more steep at the foot end and more shallow at the head end. How much deeper or shallow depends on how much of an offset you want. Some folks are good with 6 inches higher on the foot end, I typically like a foot. When standing back from the hammock, I want to be able to look at the ridgeline and see an obvious pitch down toward the head end.

With trees that are not "regular" hanging trees, seeing very little use, and are of significant girth, the 30 degree guideline is less of a concern imho. Trees at a campground or those of a diameter less than maybe 20", those I get to an approximate 30 degree at each end and then shift the foot end up maybe 6".

I did do the force load calcs a while back to become a believer in trying to get to 30 degrees but for some reason, I still want to throw a scale between my suspension and attachment point and watch the dynamic load at 45-20 degrees in 5 degree increments. Just for fun.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    I did do the force load calcs a while back to become a believer in trying to get to 30 degrees but for some reason, I still want to throw a scale between my suspension and attachment point and watch the dynamic load at 45-20 degrees in 5 degree increments. Just for fun.
    You know you can count on the information you're getting when this activity qualifies as fun! This is why I love these forums.
    Last edited by carter; 07-02-2014 at 10:22. Reason: your-you're

• + New Posts