Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images

AMSteel Blue Question

Does someone have information on how much AmSteel Blue soaks up water? I am asking because I am trying to use the Whoopie Sling method on 1/8" Blue for my suspension, and am wondering if I connect it directly to my hammock using a Larks Head on the gathered end will I get much water if the lines are soaked? Or will the knot used to create the loop for the Larks Head act as my drip line?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It wont soak up water but water will travel downhill. your call. add a ring or biner or driplinehttp://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?...ope=190&inst=1
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Amsteel technically doesn't absorb water but I'm sure some must wick.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Does someone have information on how much AmSteel Blue soaks up water? I am asking because I am trying to use the Whoopie Sling method on 1/8" Blue for my suspension, and am wondering if I connect it directly to my hammock using a Larks Head on the gathered end will I get much water if the lines are soaked? Or will the knot used to create the loop for the Larks Head act as my drip line?
    Frawg was reporting that the free end of the Whoopie Sling acts like a drip line and prevented water from getting to his hammock. We haven't had rain in months so I haven't check this out myself. I have my whoopie sling fixed to the hammock with a larks head. If I get a chance later I'll run the hose on the line and see how it works. I'm using 1/8 " AmSteel.

-SlowBro

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Ok, I'm back from the experiment. The free end of the Woopie Sling acts like a drip line. When I turned the hose on full force I got a tiny bit of wicking of water beyond the spot where the free end comes out of the bury. The wicked water seemed to stop at the knot that finishes the loop for the larks head.

This picture shows the set up. The hammock is just to the left of photo. The right side would go to the tree. The free end has a needle stuck back in the rope in this photo. The knot to the left lower side is the knot that finishes the loop I use to larkshead to my hammock. So water would run down from the right toward the left. Most of it going down the free end. A tiny bit wicked beyond but seems to be stopped by the knot on the left.

I might consider a second drip line at the left hand knot just for good measure.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Hey, thanks for the report, SloBro! I feel better knowing someone else saw the same thing.

FWIW, here's a pic of my current hanging method, with gear hanging loops that also serve as drip lines:

It's a UCR but the drip structure is the same as it would be for a whoopie sling. The one on the left isn't really much protection. That little nub right next to the toggle is the last line of defense.

Before whoopies & UCRs I would tie off the extra line as a loop. Here's a rather busy pic of the idea:

There's one on the AmSteel, and one on the paracord to the tarp. The drip loops are grossly oversized because I had a lot of extra line in the hang.

I'll probably add a drip loop to my current suspension, also. I like the insurance.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Perfect. Thank you all so much for the feed back. I love this darn place. Should be getting my AMSteel on Monday or Tuesday so i will be able to rig this up as you did Slowbro. Might reverse the setup with a beiner at the hammock end and the Whoopie secured to the straps via a larks head, not sure how well that will work as far as ease of setup due to the 12' of suspension rope needed to go through the loop from the tree strap, may be awkward during setup to feed all that through. Might go with a toogle just to make it simple. Again thanks all for the quick responses, almost too ease

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Ok, I'm back from the experiment. The free end of the Woopie Sling acts like a drip line. When I turned the hose on full force I got a tiny bit of wicking of water beyond the spot where the free end comes out of the bury. The wicked water seemed to stop at the knot that finishes the loop for the larks head.

This picture shows the set up. The hammock is just to the left of photo. The right side would go to the tree. The free end has a needle stuck back in the rope in this photo. The knot to the left lower side is the knot that finishes the loop I use to larkshead to my hammock. So water would run down from the right toward the left. Most of it going down the free end. A tiny bit wicked beyond but seems to be stopped by the knot on the left.

I might consider a second drip line at the left hand knot just for good measure.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Perfect. Thank you all so much for the feed back. I love this darn place. Should be getting my AMSteel on Monday or Tuesday so i will be able to rig this up as you did Slowbro. Might reverse the setup with a beiner at the hammock end and the Whoopie secured to the straps via a larks head, not sure how well that will work as far as ease of setup due to the 12' of suspension rope needed to go through the loop from the tree strap, may be awkward during setup to feed all that through. Might go with a toogle just to make it simple. Again thanks all for the quick responses, almost too ease
    1.) Am I imagining this right- that is: "Whoopie secured to the straps" meaning the tree straps and the hammock end carabiner clipped through the loop of the Whoopie Sling? That would work, but the free end of the Whoopie Sling would be at the tree and therefore no good as a drip line.

2.) Any way you orient the sling the Marlin spike toggle at the tree is really a sweet setup. Super fast putting up and taking down.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    1.) Am I imagining this right- that is: "Whoopie secured to the straps" meaning the tree straps and the hammock end carabiner clipped through the loop of the Whoopie Sling? That would work, but the free end of the Whoopie Sling would be at the tree and therefore no good as a drip line.

2.) Any way you orient the sling the Marlin spike toggle at the tree is really a sweet setup. Super fast putting up and taking down.
    Answer:
    1... Correct. Figured I will try it both ways and see which works best for me. And with the way I was thinking, would use the beiner as the drip ring.

2... Figured Marlin Spike would be the easiest for sure instead of going with a half hitch, and dragging all that line through the loop of the Whoopie.

• + New Posts