Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyVH View Post
    That looks pretty similar indeed! Art is without a doubt one of the reasons I want to add the cat cuts .
    I'd choose a real-live four-season tarp design like this so the doors actually work, the coverage is sufficient, and you can enjoy four-season camping rather than not exactly.

http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/...arp-lowres.jpg
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have a design laid out based on the Ogee pattern that takes 5 yards of fabric to make; and would give a 10 ft ridge line with 10 ft width; the triangles would have 5 ft bases with 2.5 ft heights; this design, while maintaining 60" wide panel for middle panel, could give you a coverage close to what a 7x7 diamond tarp gives, plus the beaks.

there was another idea I had but I decided against, basically it would take around 10 yards of fabric, and is a larger version of the Ogee tarp; however, due to the fact the bottom triangles would be made of extra pieces, it would have been around 15 feet wide if not 20 feet wide... it would have been simpler to just make it a rectangle tarp or a winter tarp like the link shown above.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyVH View Post

When you talk about reinforcing with grosgrain, do you mean to put the grosgrain inside the hem? So far, I've only seem people stitch it to the outside, which certainly gives a professional look. On the other hand, I have not seen any posts about problems due to not using grosgrain. Adding an edge with 3/4" grosgrain would, depending on the exact design, add between 2-3oz of weight (17-23% of the finished weight), so I'm currently leaning in favor not to use it.
    I have used narrow grosgrain - either 1/4" or 3/8" - and sewn it to the edge of the fabric, then rolled it twice and sewn again so the grosgrain is hidden. You are right that it adds weight and is probably not essential, but it makes a nice even hem, and even on a cat cut it makes rolling and sewing easier. I make cuben tarps these days, so I don't worry as much about stretching on the bias, and I don't use grosgrain on the edges. I've never used 1/2" or wider grosgrain on a tarp edge - too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'd choose a real-live four-season tarp design like this so the doors actually work, the coverage is sufficient, and you can enjoy four-season camping rather than not exactly.
    I already ordered 7yd of silnylon before posting here, and shipping to Europe is rather expensive, so I'm going to stick to a smaller design for now. A 3-season tarp it is then .

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I have used narrow grosgrain - either 1/4" or 3/8" - and sewn it to the edge of the fabric, then rolled it twice and sewn again so the grosgrain is hidden. You are right that it adds weight and is probably not essential, but it makes a nice even hem, and even on a cat cut it makes rolling and sewing easier. I make cuben tarps these days, so I don't worry as much about stretching on the bias, and I don't use grosgrain on the edges. I've never used 1/2" or wider grosgrain on a tarp edge - too heavy.
    Thanks for the tip! The weight gain due to 1/4" grosgrain should be really small (<1oz). I'll keep it in mind for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123