Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The reasons you listed above are the main reasons I make my own hammocks. I don't have to worry about bad instructions or unnecessary features. I can take the good in all the manufacturers and make one frellin' super hammock for myself.
    Last edited by funbun; 04-16-2007 at 09:07.

Images
    I believe your words echoes the feeling of most DIYers!

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    The reasons you listed above are the main reasons I make my own hammocks. I don't have to worry about bad instructions or unnecessary features. I can take the good in all the manufacturers and make one frellin' super hammock for myself.

I don't have the time to do stuff like that. I'm lucky if I have enough time during the week to enjoy one unrushed bowel movement.

Ok, I've been messing around with the CJH NA and I’m waiting on one piece to come in, the tarp from sportsman’s guide, a 9'x9'. I pulled all the original rigging off the Clarks to get to just the hammock and bug netting. I've rigged up a bungee cord ridgeline to allow for me to put more stress on the hammock and still have a stable netting set up. This includes some cheap cords and tree huggers.

For the inside of the hammock, I still have the SPE, but instead of the amazing 3/4" ccf which would keep me warm to arctic temps but was the size of a mini-van, I went with the Exped DownMat 9 and then 3/4" wing inserts. **** thing feels like I'm sleeping on a bed of virgins while floating in the air.

When the tarp comes in I’ll post pics after I set it up in the backyard. I was hoping to get a cheaper set up to get me down past 0˚F, but it proved to be too much pack room. The Exped should get me to even colder temps then the ccf, but it cost me $150 and has a R-value of 8.

I solved the stuff sack issue with a granite mountain compression sack, I don’t care what anyone says, you can’t stuff the CJH NA in its built in sack, and it is the size of a football, very nice.

The last outstanding problem I have is the zipper holes for the storm shield that let air in, which is a problem with sub 0˚F sleeping.

I’ll keep you posted.

Images
    hey funbun
    frellin.....hmmm wasnt dargo a hanger???

That DownMat 9 is off the hook comfy. I stayed outside last night around 50°F or so but the wind was wicked. I had my storm guard off but a small tarp on. I didn't even use a bag, just bare undies and a bug net, it was great. The neo tarp I got is too big for where I can hang in my backyard lol, I need another 2' apart. I guess I'll just have to field test it for real soon. Should be no big deal though.

Thumbs up

I'm not college edumacated or anything ... but even I figured out the Clark Hammock on my second setup! (One page PICTURE supplied was adequate.)

Learn to tie a "Bowline" (simple knot, instructions sewn on hammock!) and lose the straps (extra weight & bulk not necessary).

You CAN set the fly up FIRST to stay out of the rain (I have)... you may have to re-ajust fly (EASY).

After some SIMPLE on-line research... most reviews of the Clark said to get the XL fly... I saved money by ordering the upgraded fly and it MATCHES the camo'ed hammock!... It's even PLENTY big enough to cook under....

As for the Stuff sack... My Clark WITH the XL fly goes in with no problems...

I'm with Rough

Hump

Quote Originally Posted by Humper View Post

Learn to tie a "Bowline" (simple knot, instructions sewn on hammock!) and lose the straps (extra weight & bulk not necessary).
    Tree huggers > knots

You CAN set the fly up FIRST to stay out of the rain (I have)... you may have to re-ajust fly (EASY).

After some SIMPLE on-line research... most reviews of the Clark said to get the XL fly... I saved money by ordering the upgraded fly and it MATCHES the camo'ed hammock!... It's even PLENTY big enough to cook under....
    The XL tarp comes with the one I got and it is idiotic small. If you're a man (bigger then 6'3" like me) and not a retarded dwarf, its too small. And its tucked into the hammock, so hammock gets wet in rain. Throw out tarp that comes with hammock, buy real tarp, issue solved.

Must be nice to be puny so you can cook under a napkin.

As for the Stuff sack... My Clark WITH the XL fly goes in with no problems...
    I've never had a person be able to get the NA in the stuff sack, it's a piece of $$$$. If you have a smaller lower model hammock (and I'm sure you do) maybe it will fit without all the additional crap, or maybe it's just my stuff sack. The whole hammock seems to be falling apart at the seems as it is. $$$$$$$ thing looks like it was sewed together by a waterhead.

I wouldn't recommend a Clarks to anyone after my experience with it over the last few months. Quality is total $$$ and it is already unraveling.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 05-16-2007 at 19:50. Reason: profanity

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Humper, what model do you have? You said you don't use straps? So you tie cord directly around the tree's you hang from damaging the trees? Not very environmentally friendly do you think?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino-lfl View Post
    Tree huggers > knots....
    Come on dude, keep it PG out of respect for people that don't want to read that or for anyone that may have a kid read this. Different things for different people, no need to get personal on this.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 05-16-2007 at 19:52.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast