Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Appalachian Hammock/Ripstop By The Roll new fabric - Diamond Weave Ripstop

Recently, I was fortunate enough to have been contacted by Kyle, of Appalachian Hammock and RipstopByTheRoll.com about a new fabric they were developing and testing for use in their hammocks. Last Smoked Butt, these guys came and did a parking-lot demo of several of their fabrics (cuben fiber wallet, anybody?) and I asked the question to Kyle: “are you guys gonna be developing any fabrics, or are you just in the business of buying in bulk and then reselling at wholesale prices?” Kyle offered heartily that he was working on some development, and I largely brushed it off and forgot about it as idle speculation on WANTING to do some development...but then it came true, and sure enough there’s been something in the pipes and this is it. It’s a diamond weave uncalendered ripstop, I was told, and that a single layer was sufficient to hold my hefty self aloft while I languished lazily between the trees of my choosing.

The first thing I noticed upon opening the box was that the fabric was SOFT. Like, shockingly so. I remember the first thought that went through my head being “if there were a way to use this as a pillow, I absolutely would.” Maybe that’s something to consider if you’re in the market for a pillow and will be making an order through these guys. Either way, with the stuff sack being made of the same material as the hammock itself, it made a tremendous first impression.

Next was how light it was. The entire 11’ hammock and stuff sack seemed ridiculously lightweight. I didn’t bother to weigh it, but RipstopByTheRol.com DID before sending it out to me (and it comes in at 13.6oz for an 11’ long, 60” wide hammock with a cinch buckle suspension and double-ended stuff sack), The difference between this and my Eno Doublenest was noticeable. Could just be my perception, but it seemed it to me that it was lighter. To be fair, I also didn’t weigh the Eno (though their website offers that the more narrow and shorter Singlenest is 16oz).

I held on to this thing for about a week after I got it, then took it with me on a trip down the river where I’d be hammocking for a few days. Since this was just what I call the “fatty test” of the fabric, it didn't get used and abused like a normal hammock might but it did get several hours of 380lb man laying in it at funny angles and bouncing in it. Aside from the softness (which was greatly appreciated after a long few days on the river) which lulled me right to sleep, I noticed almost zero stretch. That goes a long way to me, as it’s not just a “feel good” fabric - it’s form and function combined into one diamond-y good fabric. I've been told that one of the biggest performance advantages of the diamond weave as opposed to the far more common standard square grid is the lack of stretch. I managed to learn something!

Another aspect under the “form” column is the look of the fabric. Frankly, it’s nice to see something other than the regular ol’ ho-hum square pattern. It’s hard to describe, but it almost lends kind of a 3-D kinda look the the fabric that you don’t really get from square weaves.

With this being what essentially boiled down to a fabric test, the hammock itself wasn't built custom. Right now the fabric is only available in a 60” width which was fine for napping, but for somebody with my height (6’4”) it’s a bit narrow for a good night’s sleep. Adding a wing (a-la Eno) may be a solution for the width issue. In the end what’s important is that not only did the single layer of 1.6oz 40D hammock hold me securely aloft, it did so COMFORTABLY. Should Appalachian Hammocks start making their hammocks out of this material, it’ll be a fantastic upgrade to what’s already a really great product from them. I look forward to seeing what kind of DIY applications folks put this fabric to...especially when the ultralight version of this fabric gets put on the market (which I’m told is totally coming down the pipes).
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I was enjoying hanging out with Gresh while he tested this hammock. It held him just fine. I shoulda booted him out so I could have a turn. I loved the color and feel of the fabric. Might have to get some and make a hammock for myself. :-)
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds perfect for a bridge.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Well, 6ft 2 and running about 375lbs i would love to find something this light and in a single layer but honestly i would be leary about spending the money until it passes the test of time,, i cant imagine a sl that light holding up under my wieght for the long term.
    I just picked up a single layer Traveler from Brandon that holds me but its a 3oz per yard fabric and its abit stiff.
    I think i need to throw it in the wash a few times to soften it up.

Thanks for the review Gresh,, i will be interested in seeing how this fabric does down the road.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Well Gresh, you've done it now! You got my attention!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Suspension
    kammock python str
    Can we see some pictures?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I'll be getting some this weekend.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Gresh, that sound very similar to the material the Kammok Roo is made of. I have one and it is very soft and rated for 500 lbs. I will be bringing it to SBH as an extra, so you can look at it then.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    It is similar in that they're both diamond weaves, but this fabric is lighter and is being made available in different weights.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Thanks for doing this review Gresh. It was very important to me that I get some outside feedback in an actual hammock before moving forward with this new line. I did some home testing on the 1.6 hammock you have, but 170 lbs doesn't exactly push the envelope . It's exciting to hear you echo some of the things I was shooting for. Namely, an awesome feel coupled with minimal stretch under loads typically reserved for heavier fabrics. I've been working hard over the past few months to create new, exciting fabrics to bring to the community, and I think this will be one BIG realization of those efforts!

Stay tuned for more details and an official announcement later this week, but here's a sneak peak at some of the colors we'll be including in this first run as well as the two hammocks we've made out of the material so far. Hopefully Gresh posts some action shots from this weekend soon...

XPciPji.jpg

1sJ4lmU.jpg

ph96b2l.jpg
    Last edited by ripstopbytheroll; 07-06-2014 at 20:38.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast