ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

What about ENO?

I've been at this hanging thing for a little while now and have been scouring threads on here for just about a month. Lots of great info, but I've gathered that a lot of folks don't speak very highly of ENO. I use a singlenest and some of their other stuff most of the time and love it. I am wondering what draws some people away from them?

Here's what I gather so far; all legitimate reasons from one perspective or another:

1) ENO is a large company, and many people want to support the little guy. I have small business, so I get it.
    2) The hammocks are short. I'm 5'8", so this is no issue to me.
    3) There are lighter options available (though it seems you pay a lot more for them), but as much as I like light equipment, UL is not my primary comcern.

I super like my ENO stuff. Maybe I'll switch when I've been at it for a little longer like seems to be the trend. But apart from my 3 reasons above, are there other issues with ENO as a company or their products? Just wondering. I'm happy to see anyone use whatever hammock and accessories suit them best.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Is there a reason to buy ENO? An educated reason? No matter what ENO product you list, I can find you a better product at a better price.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I expect the reason most people buy ENO is because it is readily available and that most people (like myself) don't know they will love hammocking until they try it. I don't think many people even know they have the option to comparison shop.

Whatever the reason, I have it and I really like it, so I can't see spending the money again on another manufacturers stuff, even if it will likely be as good or a little better for one reason or another.

Some people will/have re-buy it all though, and I'm wondering what the varying reasons are.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    ENO products are fine and everything works and lasts. They are easily found online. BUT they are the Ford of hammocks and for a little more effort and money you have a Ferrari. I have an ENO double nest and a BIAS camper double XL and on paper they are not that different but to lay in them is night and day.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    It's not just to get products from a small business, it's a local business. Look at the "made in" tag on your ENO. Most of the small business's that produce the "more expensive" hammocks are here in the good 'ol U.S. of A.

Also, a lot of us MYOG or DIY. I use my diy hammock, tarp, etc. for over 3 years. I wouldn't buy an ENO when I can make just as good for less.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I suspect there are a lot more ENO users on here than admit it. Yes... the snob factor is very high. But in reality ENO hammocks have a very solid reputation. I can't say the same for their flys as some of the ones I've seen look quite impracticle for good coverage and are relatively heavy. Fundamentally... if you like it what does it matter what other people think. You're the one who is in it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I have a DN and love it. Now maybe it's because I've never laid in anything else other than a WW cheapo. However, I just can't justify replacing it just because people tell me that there's something better. OTOH, I also bought a Guardian Bug Net and don't like it at all (in fact, I've never used it).

One day I might go to a group hang and find something I just have to have, but for now, ignorance is bliss...

Hammock
    DH RAVEN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    STRAPS/ ANCHOR
    I have an ENO doublenest and absolutely love it!! I am 5'10" and 220lb. I sleep in it 75% of the time, over my $3k tempurpedic, the other 25% I just want to snuggle with the wifey . I have never tried another hammock. I am sure I might love another even more but in my ENO I fall asleep instantly, sleep like a baby, and wake up in the same position that I fell asleep in, pain free even after 9+hrs of straight sleep! I let my twin 4 year olds play roughly (as boys will) in my hammock so I expect it will wear out sometime (2 yrs strong so far!). I have Wilderness Logics accessories for my ENO and when it finally gives up I will probably try the Lite Owl, but for now I have no reason to upgrade for the type of hammocking that I do.

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Mikeinajeep, haha, I have a Ford. Perhaps I'm just the target market.

Interesting thoughts. I do expect that when and if I buy another hammock, I'll probably try another kind just to diversify. For now though, I'm sticking with my ENO and some of their accessories. It works for me, and I didn't pay anywhere close to MSRP for most of it, so I'm feeling quite comfortable at an excellent value.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    My first hammock was an ENO and I still like to use it for lounging at home or car camping. Although I can sleep in it fine, my other hammocks are more comfortable and better suited to my back country trips.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast